News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Why God?

Started by Tank, September 04, 2011, 10:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I realize this is a bit Johnny-come-lately, but I came across this post by a former Xtian that addresses the whole religious comfort issue:
Letting Go of a God who Holds Everything.

from the blog post:
QuoteIn the end it will be the psychological needs of the reader which determine how this book is interpreted, whether we admit it or not. Most read it as a daily horoscope, oops I mean devotional, opening its pages each morning in hopes of finding a message from God for their individual needs today. It's a magic book, you see, and God will use it to speak to each of us individually, giving us exactly what we need for the day.

I remember thinking like this, and I remember how much comfort it brought me at the time. I learned to read the Bible as if it were God speaking to me personally, as if the whole book were in some way written out in order for me to know what to do from day to day. And sure, I knew that wasn't really true, ultimately. I knew it was written for other people at other times and places, but I believed God could still do both: speak to them and speak to me at the same time. That was the kind of God I believed in.

And you know what? That really met a deep psychological need. If you've never been inside that world, you may not appreciate how powerful that can be.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

I think that Julia Sweeny does a lengthy skit called "letting go of God". She is funnier.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Icarus on October 31, 2016, 03:11:44 AM
I think that Julia Sweeny does a lengthy skit called "letting go of God". She is funnier.

Happened to watch this just a couple of days ago, and I agree. Not sure I agree with her stance on religion being not all bad. Yes, there is some good; I know an ex-drug addict who had her life completely turned round about 30 years ago, and she as maintained the change but it's still all about mind control and fear inducement.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

existentialcrisis

Science is unlocking the reason.

1. It's in our DNA as an evolutionary trait. It's called pareidolia.

2. Humans look for patterns in nature to fill in the gaps. The less control we have, the more we see a cosmic figure. They did tests about it. Hence more belief among the poor.

3. It's linked with the linguistic part of the brain, in the neocortex. As we evolved it got more complex as an additional structure to our reptilian brain.

Watch through the wormhole with Morgan Freeman. Episode is called: Did we create God or did God create us?
There are no facts, only interpretations. - Friedrich Nietzche

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason. - Benjamin Franklin.

Arturo

Quote from: existentialcrisis on December 09, 2016, 04:51:53 PM
Science is unlocking the reason.

1. It's in our DNA as an evolutionary trait. It's called pareidolia.

2. Humans look for patterns in nature to fill in the gaps. The less control we have, the more we see a cosmic figure. They did tests about it. Hence more belief among the poor.

3. It's linked with the linguistic part of the brain, in the neocortex. As we evolved it got more complex as an additional structure to our reptilian brain.

Watch through the wormhole with Morgan Freeman. Episode is called: Did we create God or did God create us?

So the Morgan Freeman show is what you are using as a source for your points?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

There is something I recall from the film "The Unbelievers". It was called something to that affect anyway. But the point is was that the people who feel they have no control over there lives are the group that has more people who are religious. And there are more liars in this group also.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Apathy on February 07, 2017, 09:53:55 AM
There is something I recall from the film "The Unbelievers". It was called something to that affect anyway. But the point is was that the people who feel they have no control over there lives are the group that has more people who are religious. And there are more liars in this group also.

Hmm, "You hae to be a fatalist to believe in life ever after".

Does that work?

:D
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Essie Mae

Quote from: Gloucester on February 07, 2017, 10:50:18 AM
Quote from: Apathy on February 07, 2017, 09:53:55 AM

Hmm, "You hae to be a fatalist to believe in life ever after".

Does that work?

:D

It does work for fatalists but there are a lot of otherwise intelligent and knowledgeable Christians, and other believers, some of them very powerful, out there who believe in life ever after. They all encourage each other and say it a lot in order to keep their belief alive.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

drfreemlizard

Group think, in other words. But isn't that a sword that cuts in both directions? Christians group think themselves into a belief in God, atheists group think themselves into believing there is no God.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Tank

Quote from: drfreemlizard on June 16, 2018, 07:39:04 PM
Group think, in other words. But isn't that a sword that cuts in both directions? Christians group think themselves into a belief in God, atheists group think themselves into believing there is no God.

Dfl. You have no evidence to support your position that gods exist. If you did the world would hear nothing else from you and Christianity would rule the world. There is no equality between theists (all kinds) claiming something exists and having no evidence to support that claim and atheists simply asking theists to provide evidence or they won't believe what theists assert and claim.

This is what theists sound like.

"Would you buy this car?

Hi! I have a great car. It's the best car there has ever been made.
Can I see the car please?
No! But trust me it's the best car ever made!
Have you seen the car?
Yes. It is beautiful!
Where is the car?
In my head!
Pardon. Did you say in your head?
Yes. It was marvellous I saw it when I went to the showroom last Sunday with all the other car salesmen.
But the car was there?
No. I saw it in my minds eye. It was so beautiful.
OK. How much does it cost?
Oh it's free. You just have to join the sales team.
So if I join the sales team I get a free car?
Yes. But you need to pay a subscription to join the team. It's not much just 10% of your earnings.
Ok. So I join the sales team and get a free car, but I have to pay a subscription?
Yes.
Ok. When do I get the car?
When you die.
What the fuck?
I have the owners manual and it says you get the greatest car ever built, for free, subject to a weekly subscription to be on the sales team, when you die.
Please leave."

Perpetually bleating on and on about their personal faith in ancient myths and legends. There is no evidence to support the claim that Jesus was divine or Allah exists nor even Neptune, Horus or Thor. All theistic beliefs are unsupportable assertions. 

Religion relies on group think. Atheism on the other hand is not a group you join just because you want to. Atheism is not a cause but an effect of rational thought and scepticism. One comes to an atheistic world view because there is no evidence to the contrary just infinite unsupportable claims based on institutionalised superstition.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Atheists (most of us anyway) reject theist claims about gods due to lack of evidence, or at least a compelling argument to believe in one without evidence.  And considering how many of us came to that conclusion from a theist background, before we'd ever heard an atheist speak or read an atheist book, I don't think there's much group think going on about it.

If a being presented itself to the world, demonstrated conclusively that it could create worlds instantaneously out of nothing and override the laws of physics on this world, or did whatever was needed to demonstrate it could be considered a god, and some atheists still refused to believe it, then there might be some group think going on in atheism.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Oho! To indulge in true "group think" you have to get into groups and produce concepts that others will accept without much question. Theists, except the very few that I have heard of who have a unique, personal concept of "God" etc, more regularly gather in Bible meetings/readings, services etc to indulge in a mutual faith-battery boost. Reaffirmation of a common belief that has fairly rigid, pre-set rules and members hesitate to "rock the boat". True "group think."

Atheists, even humanists, are more likely to argue over philosophical meanings and understandings but mostly come to a friendly concensus in the end. Or not. Atheism is consesual by nature when in groups, they might share a core understanding about the nature of Life, The Universe and Everything but the nitty-gritty can get nit-picky. Still a tad surprised more of my nits gave not been picked.  :grin:

OK, two theists might argue whether the OT Bible is "Revealed Truth" or pure allegory - but such might as well be members of totally different religions.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

drfreemlizard

Wait just a minute. You are saying we Christians sit around in clusters repeating our mantras over and over, but that ignores the broad spectrum of denominations within the Christian church. We do have some basic principles on which we agree, but those aside there are some pretty sharp variations.

Tank

Quote from: drfreemlizard on June 16, 2018, 09:00:54 PM
Wait just a minute. You are saying we Christians sit around in clusters repeating our mantras over and over, but that ignores the broad spectrum of denominations within the Christian church. We do have some basic principles on which we agree, but those aside there are some pretty sharp variations.

No I'm saying that theism relies on group think. Atheism does not.

I don't care what religion, major or minor group, cult or sect that individual theist belongs to that's their issue. I'm an equally opportunity atheist. No evidence? Go talk to a tree. I don't care what your mythology tells you to believe that's your issue, not mine. Any claims of differentiation between religions or sects within religions is just special pleading between them and of absolutely no interest to me at all.

Now if you want to discuss theism vs atheism in a general sense start an appropriate thread please.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

Quote from: drfreemlizard on June 16, 2018, 09:00:54 PM

Yes, the most important thing on which AFAIK all xtians agree is that there is a god.  However this is an assertion without a shred of evidence.  An atheist is what you become once you apply your critical faculties to your prior beliefs.  I was brought up firmly xtian, but I eventually realised that there was simply no evidence and that I could easily explain many of the supposedly miraculous happenings in the bible - especially the new testament - without needing any supernatural intervention, only everyday human nature.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett