News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

"Why Are You Atheists So Angry?"

Started by Asmodean, December 06, 2011, 02:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

An interesting and to-the-point video I came across on YT.

http://youtu.be/GUI_ML1qkQE
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Fi

That was beautiful. I'm actually feeling a little emotional here... *sniff*

What an eloquent rebuttal to the question of angry atheists. Next time someone asks me, I'll point them to this video.

Tank

I watched the first 10 minutes and she raises some good points.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Fi on December 06, 2011, 05:36:40 AM
I'll point them to this video.
...And a valid response, that will be.

Why should we NOT be angry with religion? HOW can we not be?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

If someone says that a certain group of people are always angry, they should really look at their own behavior around said group.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Crow

Thanks for the link was a good watch. Seriously made me laugh at how many examples she brought to the table, I was like alright we will just get one or two in then go on to the next topic but we got a good 10-20mins of examples of why it pisses her off (reasons I agree with) and mainly in brief summery.
Retired member.

Happy_Is_Good

Quote from: Asmodean on December 06, 2011, 08:52:01 AM
Quote from: Fi on December 06, 2011, 05:36:40 AM
I'll point them to this video.
...And a valid response, that will be.

Why should we NOT be angry with religion? HOW can we not be?

Asmo,

I agree with you 100% and I appreciate this video - and I've shared it with some friends, too.

However, what Greta doesn't cover about Atheist Anger is "Why so Angry NOW, and all of a sudden - especially in the United States?"  And what is the root of this new Atheist movement in the United States?

I mean real Atheist have been getting kicked around for over 200 years in the United States (before that few would/could admit they were atheists or they'd get flogged in the Public Square), but Atheists haven't wantonly demonstrated anger before.  Nevertheless, wouldn't 200 years of that experience be enough to make American Atheists openly angry - openly hostile to religion?  No...it obviously wasn't enough! 

However, this was to change. Within the last five (5) years the respect traditionally accorded religion has been cast completely aside because of Atheist Anger.   But...why has this wall that has traditionally protected religion been destroyed so quickly and thoroughly?  What made American Atheists take such quick and decisive action - what made them so bold?   

Now...a religious zealot may blame the likes of Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, et. al. for the movement, but these great men were just playing a role and they did a brilliant job: they were highly instrumental in bringing down that damned wall of respect that the Christians hid behind.  I thank them greatly!  These intellectuals were like the military Sappers of old who dug beneath Castle walls and set explosive charges designed to bring down those walls and make way for the infantry (ground troops).  But...what got them fired-up to do this?  Likewise, were did the ground troops come from - and what got them fire-up all of a sudden?

I think I got an answer...an answer as to why we got fired up here in the US.  The Religious will claim it's because us atheists are mean and hateful, but I don't think it's the case - I think they are deluded and afraid to see.  I think the events of 9/11 and the Evangelical reaction to those events started this intellectual struggle, and I think this is a fact that the hard-core Christians will never admit. 

Nevertheless, we are winning and we have a lot to be happy for.

Hope this helps.

Fi

Quote from: Happy_Is_Good on December 07, 2011, 02:21:49 AM

I agree with you, Happy, and I'd like to add a few more of my cents here. I don't know if I'm thinking in terms that are too recent, but the internet finally gave us a platform to get together and talk, without the fear of being ostracized or threatened (sorta). It's a hell of a lot easier, now, to find and organize with like-minded people.

Tank

Quote from: Fi on December 07, 2011, 02:59:11 AM

I agree with you, Happy, and I'd like to add a few more of my cents here. I don't know if I'm thinking in terms that are too recent, but the internet finally gave us a platform to get together and talk, without the fear of being ostracized or threatened (sorta). It's a hell of a lot easier, now, to find and organize with like-minded people.
Absolutely spot on. In the past outspoken atheists were isolated and vilified. With the Internet the atheist meme can no longer be suppressed and as it's the correct view of the universe it will flourish  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

Quote from: Tank on December 07, 2011, 08:59:59 AM

Absolutely spot on. In the past outspoken atheists were isolated and vilified. With the Internet the atheist meme can no longer be suppressed and as it's the correct view of the universe it will flourish  ;D
The Internet probably has a lot to do with it.  Before, it was easy for an atheist to feel isolated - like he or she was the only atheist around for miles.  With the Internet, it's easier to find other atheists, other atheists who live in the same area - people are harder to intimidate when they feel that they are part of a group, even if it is a group as loosely connected as atheists are.  Just knowing that there are other people who answer the god question the same way you do can be very empowering.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on December 07, 2011, 08:59:59 AM

Good post, Happy!

I agree with the sentiment so far. The Internet does provide a way for like-minded people not to be alone in the big bad universe. However, this is also true for every other group - not just the atheists or any other of a less sinister nature. And some of those groups are... Well, religious extremists, child abusers... Child-abusing religious extremists... Racists, fascists and... You name it.

So the Internet is a great tool for us atheists, but one must remember that it is also quite full of trash.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Fi

Quote from: Asmodean on December 07, 2011, 11:13:03 AM
However, this is also true for every other group - not just the atheists or any other of a less sinister nature. And some of those groups are... Well, religious extremists, child abusers... Child-abusing religious extremists... Racists, fascists and... You name it.

So the Internet is a great tool for us atheists, but one must remember that it is also quite full of trash.

You're telling me. I go looking to study for my Anthropology 101 final and half my Google search results are creationist drivel-barf about how evolution is false because [insert huge list of logical fallacies that have been refuted 654615644 times but still continue to cling to life like horrible misinformation zombies]. x__x

We're much harder to silence here, but arguably, so are they.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Fi on December 11, 2011, 05:05:48 AMI go looking to study for my Anthropology 101 final and half my Google search results are creationist drivel-barf about how evolution is false because [insert huge list of logical fallacies that have been refuted 654615644 but still continue to cling to life like horrible misinformation zombies]. x__x

Yes.
Some people ask why Dawkins is so outspoken, but it seems understandable to me.  
I imagine anyone with an expertise in a field would be pissed if people just made up absolute weird crap about it.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 11, 2011, 05:43:11 AM
I imagine anyone with an expertise in field would be pissed if people just made up absolute weird crap about it.
Ohh..! Steam out of the eyes kind of pissed.  >:(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

unholy1971

Because most of us atheist, started out as christians.  Christians who realized that they had been brainwashed our entire lives.  I think this justifies being a little angry.