News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Book recommendations?

Started by bisbell6, July 22, 2012, 11:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bisbell6

My non fictions list is long, so I'm not as much interested in adding to that as I am to my fiction list.  I like mysteries and sci fi the best though I often read from other genres, too.  Currently I am reading "Ready Player One" and just finished the "Wool Omnibus" series. 
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine so that I may wet my mind and say something clever". (Aristophanes)

Tank

Do you like your SciFi intimate or galactic space opera?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

I would recommend
- Unholy Ghosts
- Unholy Magic
- City of Ghosts
- Sacrificial Magic
by Stacia Kane

About a drug addict church witch called Chess. She works for the Church of Truth where fact is truth and there is no god.
Is a ghostly adventure horror with a very flawed and urban hero. Very descriptive writing style, very, very good. 'Tis also a love story but not Mills and Boon rubbish.

bisbell6

Clarify both intimate and galactic space opera for me, please, Tank - I'm clueless here!
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine so that I may wet my mind and say something clever". (Aristophanes)

bisbell6

Cool, Stevil, thank you!  I just bought Unholy Ghosts for my kindle! 

Stevil

Quote from: bisbell6 on July 25, 2012, 12:53:13 AM
Cool, Stevil, thank you!  I just bought Unholy Ghosts for my kindle! 
Be good to hear what you think of it. I really liked it, the next one was even better and the third was the best.
I wasn't super excited by the forth Sacrificial Magic as it seemed a bit of a let down after the excitement of the third.

The Fifth should be coming out in a couple of months time.

Guardian85

If you are into SciFi, I highly reccomend the X-Wing series by Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston.
Between them nine books of pure awesome!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Firebird

As far as sci-fi goes, I am up to the 5th book in the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. Really amazing stuff that makes you think, and they're very accessible in my opinion.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Quote from: bisbell6 on July 25, 2012, 12:51:29 AM
Clarify both intimate and galactic space opera for me, please, Tank - I'm clueless here!
Galactic space opera is set against vast distances and time with big space ships and huge stories. Dune by Frank Herbert would be an example.
Intimate SciFi would be localised and with a limited number of characters in a specific location. All John Wyndham's books are what I would call 'Intimate SciFi.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Wyndham's The Chrysalids is absolutely lovely, though perhaps the least well-known.

There were three Johns in English SF at that time, the others being John Christopher and John Lymington.  You could do worse than try John Christopher's The Death Of Grass.  Lymington is IMO the weakest of the three, but worth a look if you find any of his stuff.