News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Who is your favorite theist philosopher/theologian?

Started by Cforcerunner, August 13, 2011, 07:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cforcerunner

Obviously I wouldn't expect many here to believe in their philosophy or worldview. But who do you believe to present the most well-structured case for theism?

My vote would be for Richard Swineburne!  ;D

penfold

Quote from: Cforcerunner on August 13, 2011, 07:28:27 PM
Obviously I wouldn't expect many here to believe in their philosophy or worldview. But who do you believe to present the most well-structured case for theism?

Hate Swinburne; his argument from religious experience is just shockingly poor. I mean a 'principle of credulity'...

He doesn't really present a well structured case from theism, but my vote is for Kierkegaard.

Cforcerunner

Quote from: penfold on August 15, 2011, 12:15:40 AM
Quote from: Cforcerunner on August 13, 2011, 07:28:27 PM

Hate Swinburne; his argument from religious experience is just shockingly poor. I mean a 'principle of credulity'...

He doesn't really present a well structured case from theism, but my vote is for Kierkegaard.

I love Kierkegaard as well, and am still finishing up fear and trembling! I was thinking of present day philosophers. But yes, I think Kierkegaard, Descartes, and Reid would be some of my favorite from the past.

Black36

Stevil

I don't think philosophy can prove anything, although they can sometimes present new ideas that warrant further investigation. With regards to Theology I am yet to see or hear anything compelling, they seem to invoke the god of the gaps a lot.

Black36

palebluedot

William Lane Craig has to be regarded as a formidable debater / philosopher.

He is not afraid to delve deeper into arguments to try and prove his point and he sounds quite convincing

But I have discovered his trick.  He makes extensive use of logical progressions in his arguments, all of which seem valid.  One needs to concentrate on the first statement he makes, though, which is invariably where the fallcy lies.  He reels them off so quickly that often it is easy to miss that the argument relies on a non-truth in the first place.

very very simple example ....

1  There is a moral law
2  So there must be a law-giver
3  That law giver can only be god.

2 and 3 follow from 1,  but 1 has been said so many times, we are expected to accept it as true.  But its not - there is NO moral law.  Its a meaningless statement, but he glosses over it and hides the initial fallacy.

Sweetdeath

The problem with arguing morality and "natural law" is that everyone's views vary.

Some say pre-marital sex is immoral. I laugh in their face.

Some even say abortion is wrong, even in cases of rape and incest.    Those people are sick, but they are most likely religious.

The problem with morality is that the world isn't a black/white follow the steps book.  It's full of twists and turns, and making decisions based on life or death sometimes.

Like I believe it's perfectly fine to kill in self defense. I also believe in pre-marital sex, so what do I know? XP

Quite honestly, I live in a mostly gray view though. <3

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Black36

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 25, 2011, 09:29:19 AM
The problem with arguing morality and "natural law" is that everyone's views vary.

Some even say abortion is wrong, even in cases of rape and incest.    Those people are sick, but they are most likely religious.

The problem with morality is that the world isn't a black/white follow the steps book.  It's full of twists and turns, and making decisions based on life or death sometimes.

Like I believe it's perfectly fine to kill in self defense. I also believe in pre-marital sex, so what do I know? XP

The Bible does not teach absolute morality, it teaches objective morality.

Sweetdeath

The bible is a fairy tale, like how  Aphrodite is the goddess of love, and cupid shoots you with love arrows.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Black36

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 27, 2011, 05:52:03 AM
The bible is a fairy tale, like how  Aphrodite is the goddess of love, and cupid shoots you with love arrows.
Wait, they don't?

palebluedot

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 25, 2011, 09:29:19 AM

And to get back to my point about William Lane Craig's debating style, your comments support what I'm saying.

Theologians love to talk about a moral law as though it is fact, when in fact there is only the moral standard set by the populous at any given time  - the zeitgeist as it is known

Asmodean

Quote from: penfold on August 15, 2011, 12:15:40 AM
Quote from: Cforcerunner on August 13, 2011, 07:28:27 PMSwineburne!
Kierkegaard.
Seriously..?  :D

Not that I have the faintest clue as to who they are, but with those last names...

I mean, imagine going through your whole life as Mr. Cemetery  :D

"...I'm a burn me some shwine at the cemetery, my brotha! Amen!"
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Medusa

Kierkegaard was a manic depressive. Which is probably why I like him  ;)
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Whitney

I've been thinking about it and don't think I have a favorite theist philosopher...yet I also don't really have a favorite atheist philosopher other than my husband.