News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Started by Sophus, June 14, 2010, 12:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pckizer

Quote from: "Davin"I hope the day comes when the word "atheism" becomes obsolete.

I couldn't agree more with that particular statement.

Given that atheism is really only a rejection of a single assertion (that a god of some form exists), it also doesn't tell you anything about why that rejection is held by someone.  I would like to see a few other "ism"s become more prevalent to help people in those areas of their life that they think religion needs to be at the moment.  The first would be skepticism augmented by the scientific method as the best method of determining truth.  [That's why I have to reject the assertion that a god or gods exist since there is just insufficient (well, none really) evidence for that assertion.]  If everyone held that such principles were really the best method of explaining the universe around us they might not fear that universe quite as much.  To augment that, humanism or something similar combined with the skepticism and scientific methods can help with the formation of moral principles and other aspects of interaction between individuals and groups.  Humans are very social creatures and there is no reason to ignore that fact, so help people have a world view that is both more fair and more compassionate than what most religions teach.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Sophus"America is an industrial nation and religion runs rampant .... Still, it's understandable what draws Americans to religion but why aren't the same factors true in European countries whose standard of living isn't far different?

Quote from: "Psychology Today"It seems that people turn to religion as a salve for the difficulties and uncertainties of their lives. In social democracies, there is less fear and uncertainty about the future because social welfare programs provide a safety net and better health care means that fewer people can expect to die young.    [Emphasis added by poster]
Illegitimi non carborundum.