News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What would God have to do?

Started by perspective, May 21, 2009, 04:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Anthrope

Quote from: "perspective"I myself spoke to a man from Pakistan who used to be a muslim. He had never even seen a Bible before, let alone read one. The only thing he knew about Jesus was what he read in the Quran. He had a vision of a man that shown bright like the sun, and this man told him in arabic, "I am the way, the truth, and the life." He did not know what it meant but he searched out a Bible and read. He became a Christian, but he had to flee his whole family out of fear that he would be beheaded. He is now in America. Did you know that hundreds of muslims are having similiar visions and are turning to Christianity. But, I guess the accounts of hundreds of people don't count?

What about the accounts of thousands of scientists about the validity of evolution which contradict creationism?

What about the visions of other things seen by countless people of other religions? Will their stories convert you?

Thousands, maybe millions of people, believe in bigfoot, doesn't mean I do.

Furthermore, if what you're suggesting is that the man had never heard the phrase "I am the way, the.........life." and thus recieved such words supernaturally, then how did he know they were from the Bible or had anything to with Jesus? I'm not really buying the story.
How big is the smallest fish in the pond? You catch one hundred fishes, all
of which are greater than six inches. Does this evidence support the hypothesis
that no fish in the pond is much less than six inches long? Not if your
net can’t catch smaller fish. -Nick Bostrom

McQ

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"I once spoke to a couple ballers who didn't agree with me, philosophically. See, I used to live in West Philadelphia. I was born and raised there, and spent quite a bit of my time on the playground, chilling, relaxing, playing basketball, you know. Unfortunately, one day after school a couple of guys started making trouble and my mother, being overprotective, got scared after I got into one little fight. She decided to send me to live with her sister and brother-in-law in Bel Air.

So, I called a taxi. When it came close I noticed the license plate said "FRESH" and some dice were hanging from the rearview mirror. I thought to myself, 'Well, this is a rare sight,' but quickly dismissed that idea. "To Bel-Air, my good man," I told the driver.

After a long drive, we pulled up to a rather stately home, whereupon I thanked the driver and sent him on his way. I surveyed my new castle and felt rather royal, and thus decided to take my place upon my throne as the Prince of Bel Air. Did you know hundreds of people are also getting in fights and moving to California? I guess the accounts of hundreds of people don't count.

That would do it for me.  :eek:   That gives me chills......scary place.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Jolly Sapper

All that would be needed is to just convince me, no magic tricks required.  Its God right? the end all be all intergalactic incarnation of Chuck Norris who can create a whole universe.  It shouldn't be hard to convince me.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "McQ"That would do it for me.  :eek:   That gives me chills......scary place.
I'm totally from Philly. That's why I'm so Fresh. Here's me dancing:

-Curio

joeactor

Only one thing: Trade places with me.

Whitney

Quote from: "McQ"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"I once spoke to a couple ballers who didn't agree with me, philosophically. See, I used to live in West Philadelphia. I was born and raised there, and spent quite a bit of my time on the playground, chilling, relaxing, playing basketball, you know. Unfortunately, one day after school a couple of guys started making trouble and my mother, being overprotective, got scared after I got into one little fight. She decided to send me to live with her sister and brother-in-law in Bel Air.

So, I called a taxi. When it came close I noticed the license plate said "FRESH" and some dice were hanging from the rearview mirror. I thought to myself, 'Well, this is a rare sight,' but quickly dismissed that idea. "To Bel-Air, my good man," I told the driver.

After a long drive, we pulled up to a rather stately home, whereupon I thanked the driver and sent him on his way. I surveyed my new castle and felt rather royal, and thus decided to take my place upon my throne as the Prince of Bel Air. Did you know hundreds of people are also getting in fights and moving to California? I guess the accounts of hundreds of people don't count.

Did you ever watch the show Fresh Prince with Will Smith?  ;)

McQ

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "McQ"

Did you ever watch the show Fresh Prince with Will Smith?  :crazy:
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Quote from: "McQ"Why do you ask? Did I miss something? I'm confused (yeah, yeah, so what else is new?).  :crazy:

It could be me that was confused...I thought you thought Curio was really saying he was raised in West Philly.

McQ

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "McQ"Why do you ask? Did I miss something? I'm confused (yeah, yeah, so what else is new?).  :crazy:

It could be me that was confused...I thought you thought Curio was really saying he was raised in West Philly.

No way are you confused. If anyone around here gets to be confused, befuddled, baffled, perplexed, puzzled, dumbfounded, at sea, nonplussed, addled, disoriented or even stupified, it's gonna be me!

Actually, I knew he was referring to the Fresh Prince, but I also thought maybe he was from Philly originally. D'oh!
--Penn Jillette

Sophus

He would have to be smarter than I am.  :|  Oh, and look like this:

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

karadan

QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

PipeBox

Well, I think I'm easier to please in this regard despite my desire to be rational and scientific.  All any god has to do to get me to believe is send a black man names Xavier to my door at exactly 10:00 AM (by my laptop's time) on any given Saturday, who will continue to knock until I answer, and who will have photo ID in the form of a Michigan driver's license.  Xavier will present me with this ID and then tell me which god sent him.

Now, this isn't terribly difficult to forge even for us human beings, and none of it is supernatural, and none of it is subject to repeat verification, and since gods are generally described as being incredibly powerful, I don't think it'd be too hard for them to arrange.

Why do I think I'm owed it?  I don't.  I'm just telling you what God would have to do.  He could do a lot of other stuff as well, but it would be a lot more grand.  Now, I would think more highly of any god that actively went about demonstrating itself to people, assuming it needed that attention or worship for some reason, especially if it punishes people for not believing in it, and I think when it comes to such a life-changing choice, to invest one's being into a conception of a god, that it should hardly be made from a position of ignorance, else this god should expect lots of ignorance of its existence in turn.  But this hardly means we should expect any god to just start making manifest visits, it is free as it ever was to leave people in ignorance, though it would not meet my definition of "good" if it punished for lack of belief and then hid itself.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

McQ

Quote from: "Sophus"He would have to be smarter than I am.  :|  Oh, and look like this:

I'll see your god and raise you mine:

--Penn Jillette

SektionTen

I don't think the real god, if there ever was one, would really care all that much about whether I believed in him. And if he did exist and want me to worship him then I wouldn't worship him anyway. Any god that needs to be worshiped has the mind of an insecure little boy. And there's now way in hell I'm worshipping that.

curiosityandthecat

-Curio