News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

My Big Moment... did I blow it?

Started by Siz, April 01, 2018, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Hi All,

I had a funny thing happen today. A stranger send me a friend request. A mutual firend of a couple of acquaintences. A 20y/o girl from Ghana. I read her profile and saw she was a Jesus-nut so I thought I'd have some fun.

Here's the transcript of our convo:

A: How are you doing today

Siz:Yeah, I'm good, thanks.
Can I suggest you do some homework. Go find some EVIDENCE for the truth about your religion.
Question everything. For the thing you are not encouraged to question is the most dangerous.
Thanks

A: I'm XXXXX XXXXX from kasseh Ada in the Greater Accra region of Ghana.
I'm a training teacher at Ada college of Education.
Please may I know you please!

Siz:If you don't know me why the friend request?
I could be dangerous.
In fact your family and community would probably consider me dangerous because I ask you to question the indoctrination you have suffered from the day you were born.
I don't ask you to give up Jesus. I simply ask you to do due diligence before dedicating your life to a myth.

A:Really
Why speaking this way.
Then please I will say I'm sorry.

Siz: That's what I believe.
All I ask is that you satisfy yourself that your worldview is based on reason rather that what you have been fed since birth.

A: So what do you mean with all this?
Please I wants to know

Siz: I mean to suggest that your beliefs in a God might not be the truth of existence. Just question for yourself.
I ask you to live for just one day as if God didn't exist. You might find that you are more fulfilled and all of your unanswered questions my find an answer.

A: Really

Siz:Just a suggestion. You do what you please. Just trying to liberate you from a life of chains to a myth.

A:I don't know why you are speaking like this.
So you really believe there is no existence of God.

Siz:Correct. And since I really considered the possibility for myself the jigsaw of existence has slotted neatly in to place.
I don't wish to TELL you what to believe (like your family have your entire life) I simply ask you to QUESTION.

A: OK
But why is that you don't want to get to me base on my religion?

Siz: Sorry, I don't understand your question. Please write again.

A: Why are asking me to go and find out about our doctrine?
But can you come and help me to ask them about the doctrine?
Because I don't know what to ask.
I'm a young person too.

Siz: I want you to question your doctrine for yourself. I don't want you to accept what you have been told without satisfying yourself that it is the truth. Due diligence.
I understand that what I say goes against what your community believe. But are you sure that they have sought truth outside of THEIR upbringing?
How old are you?

A: 20
But it was there before my parents were born so please I can't question them

Siz: Some people are scared to question what they have lived by all their lives. Use your own initiative. You're obviously an outward looking person. What questions do you have in life? Is there an answer outside of religion?
Have you ever actually seen the magic your religion relies on? I haven't.
I'm just an English guy. Married with two lovely children. I'm an outspoken atheist and have been since I finally accepted that the God proposition is ridiculous. Read 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins. Be careful. Some communities do not want you to think for yourself.
It's easy for me. We do not demonise atheists here. I live a happy life without the need for God. We are god-free, not god-less. That is to say there is nothing missing from our lives, just liberated from the chains of institutional superstition.

....No response for half an hour...

I was drunk. It was a bit of fun... for me. Have I been irresponsible? Or d'you think this was reasonable deportment for a conscientious atheist?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

Oh, yeah - credit to Davin, whose sig I bastardise and pass off as my own on a regular basis....

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on April 01, 2018, 07:35:12 PM
What's the date today.

I was wondering when someone would make a fool's joke. In all seriousness though, I had several conversations just like that with a girl I dated years ago. In the end she went NUTS. So if this wasn't a joke Siz, be careful.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Siz

No joke here... unless this was a wind-up by someone else...

Well, I ain't planning on dating her....

So, I'm always thinking WWTD? Isn't this the sort of thing you would say?

I wasn't trying to be bad. It just kinda fell in to my lap and I thought I'd try to get someone to try the red pill.

Dave

Quote from: Siz on April 01, 2018, 07:59:02 PM

I wasn't trying to be bad. It just kinda fell in to my lap and I thought I'd try to get someone to try the red pill.

Well, I think you should, perhaps, stop drinking, or are you a militant anti-theist at heart?

Sorry, Siz, but to my simple mind mature discussion is, at the start anyway, a good policy. There is an old say that starts, "Softly, softly . . ." that I will not complete under this context - but "better to persuade than attack" might fit. Had she started to prosetylise immediately that might have been a different matter!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on April 01, 2018, 08:12:19 PM

Well, I think you should, perhaps, stop drinking, ...
I don't know about this... :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

The girl has some degree of sophistication because she has a computer or other means of being involved with Facebook.  She may also live in a circumstance where any hint of apostasy might get her throat cut.

I don't know about Ghana. If she was in Somalia she would probably be beaten, or worse, for indulging in such a conversation. 

Siz

Quote from: Icarus on April 01, 2018, 09:23:01 PM
The girl has some degree of sophistication because she has a computer or other means of being involved with Facebook.  She may also live in a circumstance where any hint of apostasy might get her throat cut.

I don't know about Ghana. If she was in Somalia she would probably be beaten, or worse, for indulging in such a conversation.

Or maybe I saved her life and flapped a butterfly wing in the right direction...
If you're not part of the solution....

xSilverPhinx

I think there isn't any way of knowing, Siz. :notsure: Maybe you planted a seed in her mind, or maybe she'll just shrug it all off as nonsense coming from the antichrist. :shrug:

If she eventually does question her religion, what has me wondering is how easy it would be for an apostate to live in her community. The difficulties she would face. Would it be worth it? I don't know anything about Ghana except it's an African country which I am assuming is full of all sorts of superstitions besides religion. Maybe it's better to be one of the herd, maybe not. I don't know.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Siz

Quote from: Magdalena on April 01, 2018, 09:04:25 PM

Have we found some common ground, Mags? 😁 Cheers!

Magdalena

Quote from: Siz on April 02, 2018, 12:16:57 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on April 01, 2018, 09:04:25 PM

Have we found some common ground, Mags? 😁 Cheers!
:yes!:
That only took 8 years!  :lol:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on April 02, 2018, 12:31:17 AM

When the HAF Histories are finally written, this is an event to be remembered.

:P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 02, 2018, 01:08:43 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on April 02, 2018, 12:31:17 AM

When the HAF Histories are finally written, this is an event to be remembered.

:P
:headbang:

Siz

Well, I think you should, perhaps, stop drinking, or are you a militant anti-theist at heart?

Sorry, Siz, but to my simple mind mature discussion is, at the start anyway, a good policy. There is an old say that starts, "Softly, softly . . ." that I will not complete under this context - but "better to persuade than attack" might fit. Had she started to prosetylise immediately that might have been a different matter!
D'aww,  bless you, Dave. For better or worse, I'm afraid, 'softly, softly' is just not my style. Haven't got time to beat around the bush - she'll either accept my help or not. She can make her own mind up - or choose to toe the line in the interests of self preservation.

Don't forget she friended me - and experienced friendship Siz style. Blunt but without malice.