News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Where are you?

Started by Icarus, February 14, 2018, 09:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

This becomes more revealing when about half way thru the article. https://blog.prototypr.io/mapbreaking-22bb9785e7a4

Dave

Thanks, Icarus, that was an informative and pleasing link. I have always had a sort of love of the Lonfon Underground map (and that scientist linking map it spawned) and the "ISIS" map is just as inspiring.

Whilst digging into old planning records at the County  Archives I came across a "map" from the 1920s that portrayed the road traffic, with type and destinations, entering and exiting Gloucester over a 24 hour peiod on a market day (presumably heaviest). I regret to this day not taking a copy of it! It is not infividually catalogued being in one of about 300 boxes our team worked through. It was superb in demonstrating several categories of information in a format that took about three minutes to work out.

In terms of "maps of statistics", or "pie charts" if you like, old Florrie Nightingale was no slouch:

It is the observations and analysis that led to this, and saved the lives, that Nightingale should be really famous for - if she never ever put a bandage on or offered a spoonful of laudenum. All that data represented in a way that the stuffiest of military surgeons and the most pompous of politicians could understand.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bluenose

Thanks guys, two most interesting items.

As a professional navigator in another life, long, long ago, I have a great love of maps/charts.  (Navigators use charts, not maps!  LOL)  My only very minor bone of contention with the info in Icarus's link is that the "standard" map of the world is not just a Mercator's Projection, but an Equatorial Mercator's Projection.  There are other types of Mercator's, such a Transverse Mercator's which have different properties and are useful in certain circumstances.  Also, navigators very rarely use the Equatorial Mercator's Projection anyway.  Whilst it has the advantage that if you draw a line between two points, take a bearing and then head from one point to other along that bearing you will in fact get to the second point without changing your heading, it will usually not be the shortest route between those two points, however, sometimes by a considerable amount.  Instead you will follow a path, known as a rhumb-line, which is concave to the nearest pole and indeed if continued becomes a spiral around that pole, never actually getting there (theoretically.)  The charts used by navigators may be of all sorts of different projections, depending on the latitude being used and the purpose and distance to be travelled.  Other types of projections you might like to investigate include the conic, Lamberts's conic conformal and the polar, but there are many others.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett