News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 25, 2018, 01:54:43 PM
Why don't you get yourself a fkn mobility scooter?
Drive on the paths, drive through the shops,
drive on the road, let 'em wait,
they've more time than you.

'Cos I have nowhere to keep it under cover, secure and charged.  Upstairs flat with an open parking space next to the kerb, and I would have to bring the batteries in to keep them charged. Could get a secure point installed and a decent chain, and I admit there has not been a motorbike stolen round here for years (that I know of). I can still walk up to about a quarter mile on the flat.

If I fail the driving level part of my eye test I may very seriously consider it. My walking ability serms to vary, walking further now than at the begining of the year. Some of the present leg discomfort may be due to lack of condition so more walking would help.

The arboretum trip would be about 12 miles, return. That counts out the smallest scooters but they are allowed on busses if they are short enough. I would prefer one capable of handling kerbs and potholes, with decent sized wheels. There is a "sports" model at about four grand that I can afford. If I fail the eye test I might not be allowed on the roads on one, though the distance limit is reduced and you are restricted to 8mph I think.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

I think you should get a Vespa, Dave. Along with a set of riding leathers and a few tatoos.  ;D

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 25, 2018, 05:59:46 PM
I think you should get a Vespa, Dave. Along with a set of riding leathers and a few tatoos.  ;D

Had one of those in . . . 1963.

No tats though.

Dave

I have just realised that, even after all that repeated spannering and bending yesterday, there were no aches or pains today!

:D

Dave

Quote from: Dave on July 25, 2018, 06:16:51 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 25, 2018, 05:59:46 PM

Had one of those in . . . 1963.

No tats though.

Just thought, do they do those as tricycles? Not so steady on a bike these days . . .

jumbojak

You might be able to get a sidecar for one. I think I've seen a liquor mobile with a sidecar attached.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 29, 2018, 12:59:30 PM
You might be able to get a sidecar for one. I think I've seen a liquor mobile with a sidecar attached.

I was joking but, yes, I remember seeing that type of scooter with a sidecar. Ah, how I remember my old BSA A10 and Munday sport sidecar combo back in the mid 60s . . .

Something like this, but black:

Great on right hand corners (in the UK) but not so good on lefts unless you had a passenger in the sidecar or did a lot of leaning!

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Dave; Part of the fun is to lift the wheel of the side hack during cornering exercises.  Been there done that.   

You Brits are nut cases because you race sidecar rigs, with an acrobatic passenger, at  venues like the IOM and other insanely fast courses. 

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on July 29, 2018, 09:45:48 PM
Dave; Part of the fun is to lift the wheel of the side hack during cornering exercises.  Been there done that.   

You Brits are nut cases because you race sidecar rigs, with an acrobatic passenger, at  venues like the IOM and other insanely fast courses.

Been round Silverstone, one lap, on a racing combination. There was I, hanging out on the lefts and over the rear wheel on the rights at what seemed like 150 mph when your left ear is mere inches from the track.

We actually never went over about 30mph I was told after!

Racing combos were about the most exciting kind of racing mankind invented! Well, after chariot racing at the Circus Maximus maybe. Hey, racing combos with scythes on their wheels . . .

Dave

QuotePeople who don't drink any alcohol are more likely to develop dementia, suggests study

People who are teetotal in middle age are at greater risk of developing dementia than those who drink moderate amounts, with benefits particularly apparent in wine drinkers, a new study has found.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/wine-alcohol-dementia-middle-age-teetotal-abstinence-a8473351.html

Icarus

^ Oh goody!  Maybe I will be less likely to come down with full blown dementia.  ..............I should have begun drinking sooner in life. (hic) :cheers:

Tank

No doubt the 'research' was sponsored by the Wine Producers Association. :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Just started to take my anti-dementia medicine (with some olive bread and cheese.)

Tank

Quote from: Dave on August 03, 2018, 06:40:21 PM
Just started to take my anti-dementia medicine (with some olive bread and cheese.)
Red wine?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.