News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Women's rights in 2012

Started by Sweetdeath, March 08, 2012, 08:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 15, 2012, 02:54:02 AM
Okkkaaayy, so after reading about this fuckery and learning that a bunch of Conservative MPs want to re-open the abortion debate in Canada, I feel I may have to re-visit my previous comments about the state of women's affairs in the West.

Congrats conservative assholes everywhere, you've made this woman eat her words. Well done.
I would think that any company who implemented this rule would not be the sort of place that a women using contraception 'for sexual purposes' would want to work anyway. Although that's not the point. One's responsibility to an employer starts when the walk in the door and ends where they leave in the evening. If one can't perform while at work due to out of work activities (drink or drugs or lack of sleep) then the employer is within their rights to take appropriate action, but IMO that's the limit.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on March 15, 2012, 04:45:36 AM
Congrats conservative assholes everywhere, you've made this woman eat her words. Well done.
At least you has a HAF-spoon to do it with.  :D

Sorry. Resist, The Asmo could not  ;D
:D That's mean (in a good way)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Asmodean on March 15, 2012, 04:45:36 AM
At least you has a HAF-spoon to do it with.  :D

Sorry. Resist, The Asmo could not  ;D

Hahaha, the HAF spoon makes everything taste a little less bitter.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

I like to think that I'm a "Personist" ("Humanist" was already taken, although I think I'm that, too.)  I don't hold any hostility towards (most) men, and I just think that everyone should have equal rights and fairly equal access to resources and jobs and whatnot.  I always go back and forth about the need for things like "Affirmative Action" though.  Personally, I wouldn't want to be hired over someone else simply because I'm a woman.  On the other hand, I do believe that there are still people out there that would be less likely to hire a (qualified) woman simply because she's a woman.  I don't know what we do about that, if not for using laws like AA.  When people like that go away, I will truly and wholeheartedly believe that AA is a crap idea. 

I do have to admit that I find it a little irritating when a panel of all men are deciding what should happen to women's bodies and reproductive rights.  Kind of like a panel of all women voting on prostrates or something.  It just seems like you should have some people who will actually be affected by the decision on the panel.

DeterminedJuliet

I am actually gob-smacked. That insane bill passed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/20/chuck-winder-rape-abortions_n_1366994.html

Woman in Idaho have to submit to an ultrasound (a transvaginal ultrasound if they're in their first trimester) if before they're allowed to have an abortion. Even in instances of rape or incest.

They insanely close to forcing raped women to have an instrument inserted into their vaginas before they are allowed to abort the fetus put their by their rapists. I am so fucking livid I can't even think straight.  
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 22, 2012, 01:18:52 AM
I am actually gob-smacked. That insane bill passed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/20/chuck-winder-rape-abortions_n_1366994.html

Woman in Idaho have to submit to an ultrasound (a transvaginal ultrasound if they're in their first trimester) if before they're allowed to have an abortion. Even in instances of rape or incest.

They insanely close to forcing raped women to have an instrument inserted into their vaginas before they are allowed to abort the fetus put their by their rapists. I am so fucking livid I can't even think straight.  

There are no words for my rage and disgust.
So this is America in 2012, huh?
Glad my mother isn't alive to see this.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Guardian85

The level of stupidity in this case is quite frankly staggering.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

DeterminedJuliet