News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

How much of my childhood was wasted in church?

Started by ThinkAnarchy, July 11, 2011, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on July 11, 2011, 10:34:10 AM
As a child, from the age of 00-17 I was forced to attend church ever sunday, along with Ash Wednesday, Christmas, and the other major Catholic holidays.
...Don't know about you, but I would have held a MASSIVE grudge against my parents for that kind of child abuse.  :-\
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: MariaEvri on July 20, 2011, 12:04:02 PM
you just summed up my thoughts.
Although personally, I am against the idea of wedding (religious AND political) alltogether

Same. It's all a game of ownership and property anyway.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Medusa

I don't want to spend alot on a wedding at all. I'd rather spend it on the honeymoon!
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Hidelight

I grew up surrounded by Roman Catholic mostly Southern Italian families....so for my Sunday mass included family...music...art on the walls of the church...and best of all since I was a redheaded little heathen..who to these folks OBVIOUSLY did not have a good meal or any guide in life ...so would be taken home after mass and fed really well

For me going to church was NEVER a waste of time...art ..music...family ...food...the God thing was like a giant Fairy tale..so it was kind of magical..Not a waste

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Asmodean on July 20, 2011, 06:03:49 PM
As a child, from the age of 00-17 I was forced to attend church ever sunday, along with Ash Wednesday, Christmas, and the other major Catholic holidays.
...Don't know about you, but I would have held a MASSIVE grudge against my parents for that kind of child abuse.  :-\

I mostly hold a grudge for them mutilating my penis without my consent.  >:(
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Rizuidad

As long as Church is part of your culture, it's not wasted time. Actually, I can't think of a single instance of religion, or anything else for that matter, that I spent doing, that I would consider, "Wasted". When you look at it from your cultural standpoint, church was your heritage. You may not believe in it anymore. But I still look upon my catholic years with a good sense of nostalgia and love for the traditions and rituals that comprised catholic living.

If anything, that is a set of forms and heritage that Atheism doesn't possess. Arguably, it will take much more than logic to erase religion. It will take the loss of our humanity.

Medusa

Yeah. It's not like we don't waste stupid amounts of time doing other things such as playing atari for hours on end...spending days watching a boy wondering if he will say hello to me...camping out to see Duran Duran in concert....as a kid we all do stupid waste of time antics. It's the BEST part of childhood if you ask me! ;D

Sweetdeath

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on July 23, 2011, 12:11:13 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on July 20, 2011, 06:03:49 PM

I mostly hold a grudge for them mutilating my penis without my consent.  >:(
I know this is so much less extreme than circumsition --which I am assuming is what you mean--  but I always held a grudge for my mother piercing my ears without my consent. I know it seems minor, but it's my body. I was an infant and had no say. I still have scars from them as an adult. It really bothers me.

I think it should be illegal to pierce a baby's ears...or anyone under 13. Seriously... I should have a say about scarring my own body.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Medusa

I was 10 days old when my ears were pierced. I have no idea how it feels like to have it done. In fact I'm afraid of piercings (even though I had to do them working at Hot Topic)but have no problems with tattoos.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Medusa on July 23, 2011, 10:44:46 AM
Yeah. It's not like we don't waste stupid amounts of time doing other things ...camping out to see Duran Duran in concert....

Ye but some of us do more stupid things than others.

No piercings, rings, tattoos not even a watch since mobile phones do that job.
I have some scars I like.  There's my sulphur crested cockatoo scar, I didn't appreciate it right away.  There's my Barington River scar, I picked up a rounded river rock that had been used to surround a fire.  It split in my hands, It gave me something to remember my time in a perfect place.  River rocks aren't very good for fires, not unless you like exploding rocks.

Sweetdeath

Hey, I like(d) Duran Duran, back in the daaaay.

I have a scar on my knee, because I was a clumsy kid. I don't mind that. :D

Snap, you are hardcore, Pudding. o__o!

Heretical Rants

Quote from: Rizuidad on July 23, 2011, 06:08:27 AM
As long as Church is part of your culture, it's not wasted time. Actually, I can't think of a single instance of religion, or anything else for that matter, that I spent doing, that I would consider, "Wasted". When you look at it from your cultural standpoint, church was your heritage. You may not believe in it anymore. But I still look upon my catholic years with a good sense of nostalgia and love for the traditions and rituals that comprised catholic living.

If anything, that is a set of forms and heritage that Atheism doesn't possess.

I would agree that it is somewhat useful as a cultural study, but not much more.
I place very little value in tradition and ritual.
Arguably, it will take much more than logic to erase religion. It will take the loss of our humanity.
I'd be interested in hearing your argument behind this.