News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Rebuked for atheism?

Started by Xiilent, February 19, 2012, 01:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MariaEvri

I am being excluded by the "friends" at work. They will gather and chatter together, but I am left outr because they know that I will answer their religious nonsense. That makes me feel lonely and depressed since I am at work all day since 6 pm but in the longrun it saves me from many facepalms
Atheism is not common (at least not expressed) here, so people dont know how to respond. Fortunately there are no swears and hellfire threats (yet) like the idiots we see in america
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

statichaos

GAH!!! Sorry, but I get so incredibly frustrated at stories of people being scorned or judged due to their atheism.  Look, even as a theist, I know that belief or disbelief in a deity is no arbiter of one's actual morality.  I'm fortunate enough to live in the relatively secular urban enclave of Los Angeles, but even here I've found that admitting one's lack of belief in a God of some sort is often met with confusion at best, and utter horror at worst.

Asmodean

Quote from: Xiilent on February 19, 2012, 01:47:55 AM
As an atheist in America, I find myself often somewhat outcasted for being atheist even by friends. Does anyone else often get excluded or anything for being atheist? Whats the worst youve been treated for being atheist?
Not in the US, so this doesn't really apply, but when it happens, I just bite back.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Reprobate

Quote from: Xiilent on February 19, 2012, 01:47:55 AM
As an atheist in America, I find myself often somewhat outcasted for being atheist even by friends. Does anyone else often get excluded or anything for being atheist? Whats the worst youve been treated for being atheist?

I do think that there have been times when my views have had a detrimental effect. I don't usually tell people my views, but I don't hide them either. As far as friends, why would you consider someone who would hold your beliefs against you a friend?

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Reprobate on February 20, 2012, 02:21:30 PM
As far as friends, why would you consider someone who would hold your beliefs against you a friend?

Often the friendship developed before the atheism did, or before the atheist was aware it was such an issue with the other person.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Xiilent

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 20, 2012, 07:16:16 PM

Often the friendship developed before the atheism did, or before the atheist was aware it was such an issue with the other person.

Yea. My friend used to be "buddhist" but when shit hit the fan for him he ran to jebus. (Mainly cause the girl he liked was a hardcore-raise your hands in the air and feel his spirit-christian)

Firebird

While I don't hold back about my beliefs with friends and family, I don't go out of my way to trumpet them either. I also live in one of the most left-leaning states in the US and my immediate family is all very secular, so I've never really had much concern about who knows and who doesn't. So much so that I even listed my religion as "atheist jewish heathen" on facebook and didn't think much of it :) I'm actually starting to wonder if I should take that down after reading some of your comments; maybe I've just been too sheltered. I pretty much stay out of political and religious discussions at work unless I really know it won't be an issue, and even then I only present it as my beliefs and try not to get into any debates about it. It's better that way.
My wife and most of her family are quite secular, with the exception of her grandmother. She apparently got very upset when she found out that our hypothetical future children would not be raised Muslim. But she also seems to like me, so our lack of religion is not a line in the sand for her, which is all I ask for.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Reprobate

Dating has been another story for me. I make my non-religion clear up front, and it seems that what is initially not an issue usually becomes a big one. Or hell, maybe that's just a convenient excuse.