News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

10 Questions for Atheists from a Xtian bible college student

Started by Sandra Craft, November 05, 2016, 06:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I thought this was fun -- I've been having a good time skimming thru the answers:  Ten Questions for Atheists About Christianity.

What really strikes me most about the questions is how astonishingly naive they are, makes me wonder how thick the bubble is that student is living in.

If you're just interested in knowing what the questions are, here you go:

1) Have you ever been to church?
2) Do you have any Christian friends or family members? If so, what do you think of their faith?
3) What do you think of Christians?
4) What do you think of Jesus?
5) What do you think of the Bible?
6) Has anyone ever preached to you personally?
7) How would you feel if someone tried to persuade you to believe in Jesus? Would it make a difference if that person were a stranger or if they were close to you?
8 ) What are your biggest objections to Christianity?
9) Hypothetically speaking, if the claims of the Christian faith were proven true beyond a shadow of a doubt, would you become a Christian?
10) Describe your beliefs about God, salvation, the afterlife, etc.

You can see what I mean about naive, esp. since these questions are coming from an American.  #1, 2 and 6 are particularly jaw-dropping.

It does make me wonder what questions I, as an atheist, would ask a Xtian (or any theist).  I can only think of one thing that baffles me: what convinced you that the supernatural is real?

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

OldGit

Utterly naive and blinkered.  What answers do they expect to some of these?

xSilverPhinx

:lol: They would be all the more naive if living in the Bible Belt, I would assume.

I personally think far more interesting questions to ask an atheist are, "where you once religious?" with the follow-up "what caused you to deconvert?", but I believe most religious people don't want that particular sort of insight since most seem to think their religion is perfect.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: OldGit on November 05, 2016, 09:26:47 AM
Utterly naive and blinkered.  What answers do they expect to some of these?

I strongly suspect not the answers she was getting.
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Sandy

No one

1) Yes
2) Yes, I don't care
3) As a whole, they suck! But that is the same for humanity as a whole as well.
4) I don't
5) It's  a fairy tale.
6) Numerous times.
7) Indifferent. No.
8 ) Blind faith.
9)NOPE!
10) There is no god. There is no salvation. There is no afterlife.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 05, 2016, 10:06:59 AM
:lol: They would be all the more naive if living in the Bible Belt, I would assume.

The student, or at least the bible college, was in Arkansas I believe.

QuoteI personally think far more interesting questions to ask an atheist are, "where you once religious?" with the follow-up "what caused you to deconvert?", but I believe most religious people don't want that particular sort of insight since most seem to think their religion is perfect.

And given how many of us cited reading the bible as instrumental in our atheism, I'm not sure any of the answers will be accepted.  Xtians, at least the fundies, take it as a matter of faith that bible reading magically causes Xtianity.
Sandy

solidsquid

I should go and collect answers to these questions:

1) Have you ever been to a Heathen hof?
2) Do you have any Heathen friends or family members? If so, what do you think of their faith?
3) What do you think of Heathenry?
4) What do you think of Odin?
5) What do you think of the Havamal?
6) Has anyone ever offered you mead to tell a tale of bravery and battle personally?
7) How would you feel if someone tried to persuade you to believe in Odin? Would it make a difference if that person were a stranger or if they were close to you?
8 ) What are your biggest objections to Heathenry?
9) Hypothetically speaking, if the claims of the Heathenry were proven true beyond a shadow of a doubt, would you become a Heathen?
10) Describe your beliefs about Odin, mead, Valhalla, etc.

Ya know, for comparison.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: solidsquid on November 05, 2016, 02:24:20 PM

2) Do you have any Heathen friends or family members? If so, what do you think of their faith?
6) Has anyone ever offered you mead to tell a tale of bravery and battle personally?
7) How would you feel if someone tried to persuade you to believe in Odin? Would it make a difference if that person were a stranger or if they were close to you?
9) Hypothetically speaking, if the claims of the Heathenry were proven true beyond a shadow of a doubt, would you become a Heathen?

Ya know, for comparison.

I am now very upset that I would have to answer "no" to #6.

You can't even get mead around here. My friends and I once drove like an hour and a half to get to the closest liquor store selling it.

Essie Mae

It would be interesting to know if they would start wondering; not exactly doubting, just wondering, if lotsof people answered the Qs in the way the person on the link did. I like No one's replies: succinct and says it all.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Pasta Chick on November 05, 2016, 02:48:45 PM

Ya know, for comparison.

You can't even get mead around here. My friends and I once drove like an hour and a half to get to the closest liquor store selling it.

I wonder how difficult it is to make mead?  Isn't it basically a honey wine?
Sandy

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

solidsquid

Quote from: Pasta Chick on November 05, 2016, 02:48:45 PM

Ya know, for comparison.

There's mead to be had around here but it's not cheap and the selection is a bit slim unless I hit up a RenFair, it's one of the main drinks at those things.

Sandra Craft

Look what I found: Great Society Cider and Mead Bar.  It's right across the street from the grocery store I use most often, in what used to be the Peppercorn Cafe.  This is one of those time I wish I was a drinker.
Sandy