News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Spirit-Body Dualism

Started by alwmjohnson, October 05, 2018, 01:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alwmjohnson

Spirit-Body Dualism - Nature has some key dualisms and we know that humans have many dualisms (most of them man-made). The Cartesian Dualism is a significant man-made dualistic concept separating mind (psyche) and body (soma). This mind-body split continues to be a major worldview for many people. However, the Abrahamic religions take this mind-body split and turn it into a dualistic spirit-body split. The spirit-body split has dramatically divided the spiritual world from the material world, and has given us the worldview of supernaturalism. Supernaturalism makes spirit superior to the physical <-----> superior to the natural. It was exactly this spirit-body split that profoundly complicated and hampered my ability to experience Nature, human nature, and most sadly my own nature. The concept of supernaturalism has greatly damaged human beings.

xSilverPhinx

Once again, please post in the appropriate forum section. This does not belong in the 'Rules' subforum. If you have a problem deciding where a topic should go, send one of the moderators (blue squares under username) or admins (red squares under username) a personal message.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: alwmjohnson on October 05, 2018, 01:18:30 PM
Spirit-Body Dualism - Nature has some key dualisms and we know that humans have many dualisms (most of them man-made). The Cartesian Dualism is a significant man-made dualistic concept separating mind (psyche) and body (soma). This mind-body split continues to be a major worldview for many people. However, the Abrahamic religions take this mind-body split and turn it into a dualistic spirit-body split. The spirit-body split has dramatically divided the spiritual world from the material world, and has given us the worldview of supernaturalism. Supernaturalism makes spirit superior to the physical <-----> superior to the natural. It was exactly this spirit-body split that profoundly complicated and hampered my ability to experience Nature, human nature, and most sadly my own nature. The concept of supernaturalism has greatly damaged human beings.

If you post another word salad without responding to your other posts I will consider you a spammer and you'll get your first warning.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: alwmjohnson on October 05, 2018, 01:18:30 PM
This pre-supposes that you see the world in terms of a series of dichotomies/dualities. I see it as the sum of its parts, and don't intrinsically care if a particular system consists of precisely two major sub-systems, or some other number. Therefore, I can not relate to the sentiment I think you are trying to put forth. "Spirit-body dualism?" Let's analyse it then, shall we?

Here, you propose some system consisting of two sub-systems.

The first is the body. What is it responsible for? What are its functions? (Locomotion, sensory input analysis... Like that)
The second is spirit. What are its functions? 

How do you know that the functions of the second sub-systems are not adequately performed by the first, or vice versa? On what do you base the assumption that those subsystems are discrete enough to be regarded separately? Additionally, where does superiority factor in? The locomotive (Muscular-skeletal) system, for example. Is it superior to the energy generating (digestive) system? Why/why not?

What I'm getting at, is that I think you could have been onto something interesting, and maybe even generated a good conversation, if you provided any sort of analysis as to how you came to the conclusion that you did in your very last sentence. In stead, we got...

Quote from: Tankword salad

EDIT: Since we are doing a discussion about memories in The Cool thread™, which just grazed forgetting, this thread made me remember my first (as far as I remember ;-) ) introduction to the concept of soul.

A relative tried to explain to Little Asmo what a soul was, in terms a nine-ish year old godless heathen could understand. I remember hearing her describe thinking, or at least, that was my perception of the moment, and so I replied, "But you do that with your brain"

...I don't remember the conversation much past that point. I think I got confused by it. To put it in terms of my much-beloved metaphors, someone was describing perfectly my understanding of a fire truck, while insisting that it was not.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.