News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Imsomniacal mental meanderings

Started by Dave, December 13, 2016, 03:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

(Final) Day 7:

After one week I've almost reached the conclusion that for as long as I believed my sleeping patterns were going to improve, they did. That has all changed now. Give me a sugar pill and tell me that it'll help me sleep and it probably will, for a while.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Even if it was just suggestion, you got a result for a while. Have you shut off the program now?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Yes, it worked for a while, even though this was hardly a controlled experiment. :P

I haven't shut it off yet, maybe there's a lingering belief, or hope, somewhere in my mind that even though there are many other variables that could be influencing the outcome, if one of them is changed it might still have some small effect.

Arturo

Anything to do with my mutual love interest from 6 years ago. Such as, "I didn't ask her out, now she hates me, and that's why my life is the way it is."
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Apathy on February 09, 2017, 08:26:18 PM
Anything to do with my mutual love interest from 6 years ago. Such as, "I didn't ask her out, now she hates me, and that's why my life is the way it is."

:therethere:

Dave

It is said that if you gave an infinite number of monkeys an infinite number of word processors and an infinite amount of time tapping randomly on the keyboards with their infinite number of fingers they would produce every piece of text in every language that there ever has been, or can ever be, written in the characters on those keyboards. Plus every infinitely possible piece of textual gobbledegook possible in said characters. (Same goes for dialysis or any other machine given infinite resources of the right kind instead of word processors.)

But . . .

Would there be an infinite amount of understanding amongst those monkeys? Would they develop infinite intelligence? Does the very randomness of the process imply that there can be no inherrent design?

Answers on the back of a single postage stamp please.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

I don't think they would develop infinite intelligence but in one of infinite universes it is possible that an algorithm for design might spring into existence. Out of randomness something that seems nonrandom might exist.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 15, 2017, 04:16:17 AM
I don't think they would develop infinite intelligence but in one of infinite universes it is possible that an algorithm for design might spring into existence. Out of randomness something that seems nonrandom might exist.
Since it was a jokey sort of question I was expecting answers more like, "No. No. Yes", much easier to fit on a postage stamp, xSP!

Hmm,

Quote... it is possible that an algorithm for design might spring into existence.

Can't get my head around that. Surely an algorythm needs intent, needs a pre-chosen target? I agree that a sort of perceived non-randomness might occur but, in the conditions specified, that can only be a pseudo-non-randomness.

Oh, hang on, under the conditions specified, "Cogito ergo sum", will actually be typed an infinite number of times.

Ah, but the monkeys will surely have no idea what that means. Unless we allow them to have infinite evolution and develop infinite intelligence . . .

Oh, bugger, what have I started!

:shifty:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on February 15, 2017, 06:09:49 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 15, 2017, 04:16:17 AM
Since it was a jokey sort of question I was expecting answers more like, "No. No. Yes", much easier to fit on a postage stamp, xSP!

:P

What if I write it really, really small? :sidesmile:

Quote... it is possible that an algorithm for design might spring into existence.

Can't get my head around that. Surely an algorythm needs intent, needs a pre-chosen target? I agree that a sort of perceived non-randomness might occur but, in the conditions specified, that can only be a pseudo-non-randomness.

Why?

QuoteOh, hang on, under the conditions specified, "Cogito ergo sum", will actually be typed an infinite number of times.

Ah, but the monkeys will surely have no idea what that means. Unless we allow them to have infinite evolution and develop infinite intelligence . . .

Hmm...I think there's a maximum potential a biological brain can achieve, so an organism wouldn't evolve "infinite intelligence" unless it becomes an extended phenotype, that is, monkeys that can build computers that do not have Moore's Law to contend with!

QuoteOh, bugger, what have I started!

:shifty:

:snicker: An interesting conversation! :P

Dave

xSP wrote:
QuoteWhy?

I HATE that question!  :thinking:

Arturo

Responding to your original post Gloucester. If we assume they are still monkeys by the end of this, then no. Monkeys will always be monkeys.

If they were given the conditions to evolve they may develop a religion around the text they made.

(This is where I go in depth)

But in statistics and as well as everything else, nothing is 100% (we've explained that to dredge and he doesn't get it). Some events occur a majority of the time. So that would be said to have a high likelyhood of happening, but even still there is the small chance that something else happens. And in a long enough time frame, it does happen (just like if we had enough time countering dredge, we would eventually convince him of something). So if we assumed these monkeys had an infinite amount of time and infinite supportive conditions to write everything, it would happen because even a small chance of something happening can still happen.

Taking that, if they were still monkeys they probably couldn't understand what they are writing, because of the sheer randomness and amount of garbage they are writing that would get mixed in with everything else. Plus they don't have the ability to comprehend in the first place, assuming they are from the wild, so it would be even more improbable that they would understand what they are doing.

However that is some philosophical premise I did not expect to come across- "they can't comprehend in the first place" or do they? Hmm...if you knew if they could comprehend what they are writing, then you wouldn't be asking the question would you? But maybe you would just to humor us? I did not expect to turn this into a philosophical discussion.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

I woke up way too early for a Saturday morning. Good day, y'all.  :offtobed:

Arturo

Lighting and thunder storm.

Lighting woke me up, thunder keeps me from falling asleep.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Sometimes I dream I'm making out with a girl, then I feel a moustache. Is my dog kissing my mouth while I'm sleeping?
     Arturo The1  リ壱