News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Bones in Bulgaria may be of John the Baptist

Started by Tank, June 17, 2012, 05:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

John ate locusts and wild honey, and wore camel skins. First, if the bones are real, you should find some locust droppings, bee droppings, and camel hair/droppings somewhere, I think.  Second, can you imagine what a horrible Valentine's Day date John would have been?

John: What's this place?

Date: This is a restaurant, John.

John: What do you do here - I hate cities.

Date: You eat here, John.  What would you like for an appetizer?

John:  Locusts. Raw locusts.

Date:  Eewww!  Don't you even want them dipped in chocolate?

John: What's chocolate?  They're pretty good in honey.

Waiter:  Sir, I'm sorry, we require a coat and tie in this restaurant.

John:  Well, you have a coat and tie on - that should satisfy you.

Waiter: No, sir, you do not meet our dress code.  In fact, I'm not sure you are even dressed at all.

John:  Woe to you, you serpent, you hypocrite!  The axe is laid to the root of the tree!  You shall be smitten with the rod!

Date:  Oh, no, not the rod again!

Security: Sir, you will have to leave now.

John: And you, you whited wall, you son of Satan, you will burn in the fires of hell!

Security:  Sir, that's a terroristic threat. (Takes out a steak knife and cuts John's head off).

Waiter: Thanks.  I was going to have a hard time finding any locusts.

Date:  Well, he wouldn't have left a tip, anyway.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on June 17, 2012, 05:27:35 PM
Bones in Bulgaria may be of John the Baptist

*snip*

An interesting article.

Very interesting! Not because I think it's John the Baptist that they've found per se, but the amateur historian in me absolutely loves any news having to do with new finds. I think this is certainly newsworthy. If random human bones were found in, say, New York City and were proven to be about 2,000 years old, it would certainly make the news and a lot of people would find it interesting. I find this discovery interesting, too. Even if it's a totally unknown human we've found a small part of, finding bones that old isn't exactly an everyday occurrence. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

fester30

While these findings do not definitively prove anything, they also don't refute the theory first proffered by the Bulgarian archaeologists who found the remains while excavating under an ancient church on the island.

An interesting article.

So you can't prove it, but you also can't disprove it.  Guess I'm agnostic on the subject.

The way the article reads, it doesn't sound like the scientists are actually suggesting it's John the Baptist.  Sounds like they found remains on a Saint John island and dated it from the 1st century, and that the DNA suggests Middle Eastern descent.  Looks like it's the author of the article suggesting it's John the Baptist, even linking the work of the scientists with research of some Oxford historian.  The author of the article appears to me to be pulling a Glenn Beck with the information.

Ali

Quote from: Stevil on June 19, 2012, 01:56:59 AM
Quote from: markmcdaniel on June 19, 2012, 01:51:32 AM
Now that I look at them I can see that they are both left legs 
I'm not surprised, he isn't famous for his dancing, thus two left legs is just more substantial evidence that it MUST be him.

So THIS must be why Baptists aren't allowed to dance.  JtB was a terrible dancer, so he told everybody that dancing is a sin anyway.   Typical.  >:(

Sandra Craft

Quote from: fester30 on June 19, 2012, 07:52:00 AM

While these findings do not definitively prove anything, they also don't refute the theory first proffered by the Bulgarian archaeologists who found the remains while excavating under an ancient church on the island.

An interesting article.

So you can't prove it, but you also can't disprove it.  Guess I'm agnostic on the subject.

But is disproving even an issue?  I can't disprove unicorns but it's my understanding that I'm under no obligation to, my friend who believes they're real has to prove that if she decides to claim her belief is a fact.  Wouldn't the same rule apply here?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

I think that if someone tells you that the burden is on you to disprove their claim, they're setting you up to fail. You can either agree with them or make the opposite claim, that is that unicorns don't exist. You would then have to prove your opposing claim, and to do so would have to search the entire universe and not find any unicorns.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 20, 2012, 03:43:00 AMYou would then have to prove your opposing claim, and to do so would have to search the entire universe and not find any unicorns.

You'd have to search the universe instantaneously because it may move to a previously searched place, or just behind you.  Unicorn could also be wearing camouflage pyjamas, so to do a proper search you'd need to have a camouflage pyjama detector.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 20, 2012, 03:59:57 AM
You'd have to search the universe instantaneously because it may move to a previously searched place, or just behind you.  Unicorn could also be wearing camouflage pyjamas, so to do a proper search you'd need to have a camouflage pyjama detector.

Those damn unicorns can be so tricky.
Sandy

Stevil

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 20, 2012, 04:18:42 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 20, 2012, 03:59:57 AM

Those damn unicorns can be so tricky.
How big are they?
Maybe you need an electron microsope to see them, with a comouflage pyjama filter installed of course.
It might take a while to scan the universe with an electron microscope, so I suggest you use two of them then you will halve your search time.
Now that is thinking, huh?
You need answers, you know where to come.

Hector Valdez

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't jolly ol john fed to lions after his beheading? WTF?

fester30

Quote from: RenegeReversi on June 20, 2012, 06:37:29 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't jolly ol john fed to lions after his beheading? WTF?

What the article didn't mention is that they found traces of fossilized lion feces as well.  What some archaeologists believe is John's grave was actually the lion enclosure at an ancient zoo.

As for proving/not-proving... I have seen on here often that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  I don't really believe in extraordinary evidence.  I believe all evidence is evidence.  I understand some evidence is held in higher regard than others (eye-witness vs. measurements).  Once a claim is made, however, I don't necessarily believe the burden of proof is on the claimant.  I think it depends upon how much others care about the topic.  I think sometimes it's in the best interests of people who didn't make a claim and don't have much confidence in that claim to find evidence one way or another.  Science is full of skeptical people trying to reproduce results to find the facts.  In the case of unicorns or gods, I wouldn't particularly care to even try.  But in the case of remains potentially belonging to an historical figure, I might find it interesting enough to get involved in if I were an archaeologist.

markmcdaniel

The problem with Unicorns is that you need to be a virgin, preferable female and adolescent, in order to find one. This may well explain the lack of reliable Unicorn sightings. Now, the true test for finding imaginary creatures is Dragons. Of course if you find one you me wind up being invited to lunch.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

OldGit

Will you lot please show some respect for The Invisible Pink Unicorn, bless Her Holy Hooves.

Next to the FSM She is my favourite deity.

QuoteInvisible Pink Unicorns are beings of great spiritual power. We know this because they are capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them

Sandra Craft

Quote from: fester30 on June 20, 2012, 07:43:32 AM
Once a claim is made, however, I don't necessarily believe the burden of proof is on the claimant.  I think it depends upon how much others care about the topic. 

I have to disagree with that.  I think anyone who goes so far as to make a claim is the one who needs to back it up or withdraw it.  Otherwise you're just asking other people to do your work for you and that right there would make me suspect the claims value.
Sandy

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: RenegeReversi on June 20, 2012, 06:37:29 AM

In the gospel account his disciples buried his body.  Don't know if there is another account.