News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

scouts and kids

Started by April, November 06, 2009, 07:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanker

I'm not a parent but I was a boy once...and in the scouts even. I can tell you what my mom did. My mom never told my brother or I what or how to believe. She would answer any and all of our questions openly and honestly and never tried to talk us out of anything that was not overtly unhealty or dangerous. I was a scout when I was a kid, even vaguely a christian and all I can remember was  her being supportive and again answering any questions I had. In fact my mother was so noncomital about religion I didn't learn she was an Atheist until I was 21 or 22 (im 26 now). I had always figured she belived in a god just not a religion. The end result of my brother and I being left in a religious vacume when we were growing up was we were forced to think for ourselves and use our own unbiased (as far as that goes anyhow) opinions regarding religion. Independently, as my brother and I weren't close, we found Atheism to be the most reasonable and logical position.

Go figure when left to decide for ourselves without indoctrination Atheism was the most reasonable.

As for the dealing with the overt Christian nature of the scouts I would go with the old Atheist standard and not volunteer inforamation on you beliefs and be as vague as possible when asked.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

TheOGMamaBear

Tough call.

I have no answers. All I know is that my outdoorsman hubby thinks the scouts are a joke.

lol. But he's weird.
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Don't we all love Mark Twain?