News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Just what do trees talk about?

Started by Dave, May 31, 2018, 09:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

QuoteDo Trees Talk to Each Other?
A controversial German forester says yes, and his ideas are shaking up the scientific world.

Wise old mother trees feed their saplings with liquid sugar and warn the neighbors when danger approaches. Reckless youngsters take foolhardy risks with leaf-shedding, light-chasing and excessive drinking, and usually pay with their lives. Crown princes wait for the old monarchs to fall, so they can take their place in the full glory of sunlight. It's all happening in the ultra-slow motion that is tree time, so that what we see is a freeze-frame of the action.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-whispering-trees-180968084/#gXGsvy7gZpWvh8Rw.99

And that is just the part of the Smithdonian version, I decided not to cite "Treehuggerz" et al! This follows on from another mention on BBC World Service, just a snippet in a magazine type prog. Seems that symbiotic fungi and their wide spread micorhyzome networks act a  bit like dendritic nerve cells and have a part to play here.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Can't find the parody of that that we used to sing . . .

"I talked to the trees,
They came and shut me away . . ."
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74