News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Cultural Appropriation

Started by Claireliontamer, June 17, 2017, 08:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on June 20, 2017, 02:55:03 AM
So do all the white people agree? Cultural appropriation is a-okay!!!

(Sorry, feeling silly and "provocative" - in a joking way - tonight.)

I think yes, it's the way it's always been for us.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 20, 2017, 12:38:50 PM

Not all of us!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Gloucester on June 20, 2017, 12:50:32 PM

Not all of us!

Not necessarily as individuals, but as cultures certainly.  Have any groups done more cultural borrowing than the English and their assorted colonies?
Sandy

Arturo

All I can think is, how can we learn about each​ other if we don't borrow from other cultures?

I think when cultural appropriation is a problem is when people say "you should stay over there cuz your Mexican" or something along those lines. When you start trying to box people into a predefined group, then you're causing problems.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 20, 2017, 01:08:02 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 20, 2017, 12:50:32 PM

Not all of us!

Not necessarily as individuals, but as cultures certainly.  Have any groups done more cultural borrowing than the English and their assorted colonies?

Maybe the Americans and their assorted immigrants?
:grin:

PS: historically us Brits have been appropriating Roman, Anglo-Saxon, Norse, Viking and Norman stuff from those who invaded us. So then Latin, Anglo-Saxon, Norse, Old Danish, Norman French etc. into our lingo as well -  long before we pinched pajamas, bungalows, gymkhanas and loads of other ideas and words from our colonies (even American words!)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on June 20, 2017, 10:46:29 AM
As a species, we don't benefit much from subdividing ourselves on arbitrary grounds.

I'm curious, what grounds would you consider to be non-arbitrary, if any?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 20, 2017, 12:09:12 PM

No, I don't think it is okay if it offends people.  My problem is I can't always work out what will offend people!

I think it depends a lot on the person! Some are just more prone to feeling offended than others.

Ever heard of Freud's narcissism of small differences? It all boils down to having a distinct identity and standing out, especially amongst groups that are quite similar to each other (in genealogy, lifestyle, beliefs, geographical location etc.) and setting clear distinctions between those groups. I'm me and you're you, not me or one of us. Let's not cross that line, OK?

In the modern world with the internet and fast travel distances have shrunk between otherwise very different groups. If this type of narcissism is real at the group scale then clashes are inevitable.

I think some people might feel offended at the idea of others appropriating elements of their culture because for them it means a loss of identity, instead of being different they become more and more alike, just one more in the herd. That could be a reason to lose sleep over for some people!

Dave

Twelve years ago I thought I was listening to a couple of young black lads having a lively discussion in college - the language, speech patterns and rhythms seemed to fit well. I was surprised to see that it actually two white lads and that they had the expressions and gestures off pat as well, quite unconciously I think.

Can only assume it was the popularity of Caribean music. Listened for more of it and heard conversations between black and white youths in a similar style, no sign of any "You have stolen my culture" sentiments. Perhaps a common love of music sootheth the racial beast?

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 20, 2017, 09:09:45 PM
Quote from: Recusant on June 20, 2017, 10:46:29 AM
As a species, we don't benefit much from subdividing ourselves on arbitrary grounds.

I'm curious, what grounds would you consider to be non-arbitrary, if any?

I'm having trouble coming up with any that I personally would consider non-arbitrary. I suppose I should qualify my statement by saying, "we don't benefit much in the long run . . ." Clearly some short term benefits to certain subdivisions of the species will accrue from arbitrary discrimination.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Arturo on June 20, 2017, 01:14:17 PM
All I can think is, how can we learn about each​ other if we don't borrow from other cultures?

I think when cultural appropriation is a problem is when people say "you should stay over there cuz your Mexican" or something along those lines. When you start trying to box people into a predefined group, then you're causing problems.

Yeah, this is where I'm having a bit of a problem too.  It also seems to me that a no vote on cultural appropriation (even mis-appropriation) is an unspoken yes vote on cultural purity, and in this country at least the only white people who are for that are the likes of the KKK and Nazis.  Puts us pale types between a rock and a hard place when it comes to cultural fluidity.

Quote from: Gloucester on June 20, 2017, 01:20:38 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 20, 2017, 01:08:02 PM

Maybe the Americans and their assorted immigrants?
:grin:

Absolutely.  Which makes the whole "cultural purity" thing delusional for white/Euro-Americans but just try telling the white pride bunch that.
Sandy

Arturo

I think the SJWs have a lack of insight on their views
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Which of the genius political correctness dipshits invented the "cultural appropriation" word pair?.  Why dream up a concept that is potentially divisive by use of words like appropriation?  Appropriation implies that I have stolen or otherwise taken possession of something that belongs exclusively to another  person, group, or culture.

If I happen to like and proceed to prepare collard greens and cornbread, I am not misappropriating a food type that is often thought to be typically, or exclusively, African American.  Or if I contract a taste for gin, I am not intruding on the cultural sensitivities of the Spanish who are said to have invented that brew.  The world is becoming smaller and smaller by the minute. Best we accept and even appreciate that we can share and even derive mutual profit with some of the products, customs and tastes that others have developed.

Recusant

It's not completely off base but it doesn't leave any room for nuance. There is no denying that dominant cultures have perpetrated some nasty shit over the years. People motivated by a zeal to improve things in this realm find it relatively easy to work from the assumption that dominant = bad/malevolent. Clearly that's an oversimplification and therefore incorrect, but zealous people are often prey to oversimplifying.

Given the above, if a dominant culture is doing something it's highly suspect and more than likely repugnant. So we have terms like 'cultural appropriation' that express this simplified view of social interactions.

(I'm trying to wean myself off using the term 'SJW' even though it's easily understood. It's become too widely used by regressive types as a club to bash anybody who doesn't conform to their view of the world. I think that some of the most vociferous people who're pushing the social justice agenda are taking their thing to a ridiculous place, but I agree with many of the basic ideas and would rather not resort to simplistic negativity. 'Political correctness dipshit' isn't bad, but again, 'political correctness' is overused in my opinion.  ;))
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

What exactly is 'SJW'? I don't think I've ever encountered that acronym before. Social Justice Warrior?

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 25, 2017, 12:54:40 PM
What exactly is 'SJW'? I don't think I've ever encountered that acronym before. Social Justice Warrior?

Yes actually
     Arturo The1  リ壱