Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Tell us A Bit About Where You're From

Started by xSilverPhinx, September 05, 2011, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Scissorlegs on September 09, 2011, 03:20:17 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 05, 2011, 09:53:56 PM
I'm from Brasília, which is the small planned Capital of Brazil, a symbol of modern architecture, is classified as a World Heritage (Unesco) and really pisses some people off.  8)
Especially those that feel a bit small in comparision, such as the southerners here, who live close to Argentina.  :-X

Truly beautiful!

I, however, am from a smeggy part of a putrid city in a miserable country. Just a molatov cocktail's-throw from the unwashed masses of looting, uneducated, miscreant London youth. The plan is to make my money in the big city then run for the hills... Meanwhile I'll stay here and moan about it in that inimitable English style...

And anyone who wants to tell me how lucky I am to live in such a country can come and experience for themselves how a Nanny-State can destroy a nation.

On the plus side, we've got Steven Hawking....

I've never been to London, or anywhere outside of North America, actually. I'd love go there. I guess the grass is often greener  ;)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Siz

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 09, 2011, 04:58:11 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on September 09, 2011, 03:20:17 PM
I'm from Brasília, which is the small planned Capital of Brazil, a symbol of modern architecture, is classified as a World Heritage (Unesco) and really pisses some people off.  8)
Especially those that feel a bit small in comparision, such as the southerners here, who live close to Argentina.  :-X

Truly beautiful!

I, however, am from a smeggy part of a putrid city in a miserable country. Just a molatov cocktail's-throw from the unwashed masses of looting, uneducated, miscreant London youth. The plan is to make my money in the big city then run for the hills... Meanwhile I'll stay here and moan about it in that inimitable English style...

And anyone who wants to tell me how lucky I am to live in such a country can come and experience for themselves how a Nanny-State can destroy a nation.

On the plus side, we've got Steven Hawking....

I've never been to London, or anywhere outside of North America, actually. I'd love go there. I guess the grass is often greener  ;)

True enough. It's always bloody raining....

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

fyv0h

Until i can afford to expat across the pond, I dwell in the quiet little town Nashville NC, where the tea is sweet, the air is clean, and the little old ladies poke you in your Atheist shirt with bony fingers until it hurts.
Jesus freaks out in the street. Handing tickets out for God.
Turning back, she just laughs. The boulevard is not that bad.  ~Elton John

لا إله

WWSDJD - What Would Sammy Davis Jr Do?

Tank

Quote from: fyv0h on September 10, 2011, 12:28:47 AM
Until i can afford to expat across the pond, I dwell in the quiet little town Nashville NC, where the tea is sweet, the air is clean, and the little old ladies poke you in your Atheist shirt with bony fingers until it hurts.
That creates a wonderful mental image  :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

fyv0h

True story too. In a grocery store stocking up on kool-aid, I had this little white haired half-pint of a lady get disgusted over my "Proud Atheist" shirt and start jabbing me while ranting on about damnation. I didn't know whether to be rude to her or help her cross the street, but ultimately I just laughed and she just poked harder and it just hurt more.  ???

لا إله

fyv0h

لا إله

xSilverPhinx

Bagpipes are inspiring ;D Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedooooooooooooooooooooooom!

(had to add that, just had to)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Willow

This is my house; the white one.
We live on a sprawling council estate on the outskirts of Manchester. 

This is our local town centre, not Manchester City, but Wythenshawe Civic Centre.

Manchester is an industrial city in the North of England.  It grew rich on the cotton picked by African Americans and woven by poor Mancunian children.
Our estate was built after the second world war to allow the working class to move away from the bombed out inner city slums to modestly generous council houses like mine, which has three bedrooms and gardens front and back.

The council sold our house to the then tennent in 1983 and it has been a privately owned house since.  We bought it in 2006.

Manchester strives to improve its culture and commerce but remains northern.  The North/South divide in England is often understated and adversly affects the health, wealth and wellbeing of anyone born or living in the North.  I have always lived in the North.

Willow.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Willow on September 15, 2011, 10:32:38 PM
Manchester strives to improve its culture and commerce but remains northern.  The North/South divide in England is often understated and adversly affects the health, wealth and wellbeing of anyone born or living in the North.  I have always lived in the North.

What sort of North/South divide is it? Social?

xSilverPhinx

Brasília is contained within this biome, the cerrado (which translates to "closed" or inaccessible"):

Behold. This is the South American savanna.   8) Much denser than the African bush, but very similar in it's vegetation, at least to the untrained eye. Both were molded from fire and draughts, a symbol for the resilience of life in less than optimal conditions (the natives of Brasília would find this sort of talk sort of ridiculous, but I think it's cool  :P ).  

This is the ipê, symbol of the cerrado. They come in purple, pink, yellow, green and white...the latter of which I particularly like, though they're much rarer, because they look like Japanese cherry trees. They loose a good portion of their leaves during winter draughts and briefly flower till spring (with little or no leaves) when the rains come.

The cerrado is a Biodiversity hotspot, with these being among some of the fauna:

8)

Willow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 16, 2011, 05:04:11 AM
Quote from: Willow on September 15, 2011, 10:32:38 PM

What sort of North/South divide is it? Social?

It's socio-economic.  Northern accents don't have the same social prestige as Southern ones.  There is a hierarchy of accents, with accents like those of Stephen Fry or David Cameron at the top (Southern posh public school boys) and strong Northern accents at the bottom.  The South and particularly the South East attract comercial investment which means that investment in the North is made in terms of redressing the balance or supporting quaint cultural perculiarities of the regions.  Of course Northerners are fiercely proud of where they come from, most people are.

The class divide affect all parts of the country, and a strong Southern regional accent can set a person back too, but perceptions of Northerners make it harder for international organisations to locate jobs up north and I'm not explaining this very well, but it's all a bit shitter and we don't have the same international profile.  For most people outside of the UK, England is the South East.

Chronos

I'm from Brasília ... One of the architects who designed Brasília (who is still alive in fact) was an outspoken communist, and the city reflects that. Residential blocks of the same type look the same, from the South Wing  to the North Wing. Ironically, where the building above and Ministries are located contains a communist message, or so a student of architecture once told me.  

I have heard that the streets are unfriendly to pedestrians, and the two parallel streets in the photo often have pedestrian accidents. Is that still true?

Religion is a pyramid scheme with 501c3 tax-free status.

Chronos

Quote from: Xjeepguy on September 05, 2011, 10:46:02 PM
This is pretty much the whole town I live in  ... Good ole Sissonville WV.

I know where that is -- I drive by it every few months. I wish I could remember the last name of the family that I knew many years ago that used to live there (and probably still does).  Was it Robeson?  I can't remember.

Chronos

This is a shot of our version of main street and an anamorphic archangel on the community bridge painted entirely using the trompe-l'œil technique.

Xjeepguy

Quote from: Chronos on September 17, 2011, 01:33:16 AM
This is a shot of our version of main street and an anamorphic archangel on the community bridge painted entirely using the trompe-l'œil technique.

I grew up just over an hour from there.....
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg