News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Tank on April 17, 2018, 06:19:43 AM
Quote from: Icarus on April 16, 2018, 11:34:51 PM
   ^^ Damn!  Those are vicious looking claws on the wee little bird. That is a really good shot tank. How far away from the bird when you took that shot?
About 6 yards. The twig is about the diameter of a pencil.

This is the original frame reduced from 6,000 x 4,000 to 1,024 x 768

That's where a little extra high resolution really scores! My Nikon D5100 is about 4,900 by 3,250 (16.2 Mp), mostly adequate with the Sigma 18 - 250 zoom lens. Actually the little Panasonic TZ60 has marginally better resolution at about 4,900 by 3700 (18.1Mp) and a 30x optical zoom - but fewer bells and whistles. I try to remember to hook that on my belt every time I go out - then mostly forget it is there . . .

All I need is to get my stamina, patience, concentration and "eye" tuned back up! Spent over an hour in a local nature reserve (a water meadow with a fringe of trees that floods regularly) and the only birds I saw were gulls and pigeons! Most interesting flying things were bumble bees. I was sitting still mostly, walking is literally a pain at times.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

I used a Sony A68 (24Mp) with their mid range 55 to 300mm zoom. It's good value for money. But a lottery win would see me get the 100 to 400mm G series zoom.

Sony 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 SAM ED Lens
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on April 17, 2018, 10:40:07 AM
I used a Sony A68 (24Mp) with their mid range 55 to 300mm zoom. It's good value for money. But a lottery win would see me get the 100 to 400mm G series zoom.

Sony 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 SAM ED Lens

That's the same resolution as the D600 I use most of the time with a 24 to 85mm f3.5 lens. With that resolution, I can "zoom" by cropping. I occasionally use the much better Nikon 135mm f2 lens, but that's a big piece of glass and quite heavy.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on April 18, 2018, 09:40:11 PM
Deep fried in lard thy tend to stick together.

Right, so its a heart attack for a dog!

I remember lard, potatoes fried in it are far more tasty than those fried in oil, or even goose fat. Fries, bacon and eggs etc fried in lard when I was a kid all helped later . . .

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Tank

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 21, 2018, 08:31:57 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 21, 2018, 08:09:55 PM
Pixel for pixel with a touch of 'Unsharp mask'!

That is very good. I'm jealous.
Manual focus too! I am very pleased with it. Sigma 180mm f3.5 pre-digital full frame macro. The lens was a vanity project for the owner of Sigma lenses who was a very keen insect and macro photographer. Must have had it 20 years.

Tank

Tank

Tank