News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Music that moves you

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 16, 2018, 11:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Some classical music lovers might think this is an adulterated form but I think it's the best remix I've come across so far.   ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

When I was studying to get into grad school I would listen to this sort of stuff (uplifting, without lyrics). This brings back recent memories.  :'(

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2018, 05:39:11 PM
Some classical music lovers might think this is an adulterated form but I think it's the best remix I've come across so far.   ;D

You are right, I am a purist, but perhaps this kind of mix can reach some youngsters who would not normally listen to Beethoven. If it then awakens some curiosity that prompts them to explore the original music, then it is a good thing.

Personally, I cannot abide listening to any pop music after listening to classical music - it always sounds very flat and boring to me. For me, it is always better to listen to classical music after pop. Try it yourself: listen to Carmina Burana or The Firebird, and then switch on the local pop radio station.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 30, 2018, 06:29:35 PM

You are right, I am a purist, but perhaps this kind of mix can reach some youngsters who would not normally listen to Beethoven. If it then awakens some curiosity that prompts them to explore the original music, then it is a good thing.

Personally, I cannot abide listening to any pop music after listening to classical music - it always sounds very flat and boring to me. For me, it is always better to listen to classical music after pop. Try it yourself: listen to Carmina Burana or The Firebird, and then switch on the local pop radio station.

I don't like most pop music very much (anymore), it does sound rather flat and boring (well, maybe except for Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of you' :tellmemore:).

I :love: Carmina Burana!

Here's a video I made using part of it as a soundtrack for a failed 'genetic cars experiment' 2 years ago:

Great song.  ;D

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2018, 06:43:14 PM

I don't like most pop music very much (anymore), it does sound rather flat and boring (well, maybe except for Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of you' :tellmemore:).

Here's a video I made using part of it as a soundtrack for a failed 'genetic cars experiment' 2 years ago:

Great song.  ;D

Wow, I like the graphics very much. Did you do everything?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 30, 2018, 06:47:56 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2018, 06:43:14 PM

Great song.  ;D

Wow, I like the graphics very much. Did you do everything?

I wish! No, it's a program that simulates simple natural selection. This one, to be exact: http://rednuht.org/genetic_cars_2/. You let it run and the cars will suffer mutations (you can tweak a few variables) and hopefully, eventually a winning design will finish the race. It got so frustrated because I had left it running for over 200 generations at that point and the cars still couldn't finish the race so I decided to add some drama, namely, the music. :P

To make matters worse Recusant was also running the program and his cars finished after around 60 generations, if I recall correctly.  :sulk:

;)

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2018, 06:55:24 PM
To make matters worse Recusant was also running the program and his cars finished after around 60 generations, if I recall correctly.  :sulk:

That's interesting. I think the rhythm of Ravel's Bolero could have worked as well, with that long build-up to the climax.

― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 30, 2018, 07:03:38 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2018, 06:55:24 PM

That's interesting. I think the rhythm of Ravel's Bolero could have worked as well, with that long build-up to the climax.

Yeah, I think it could work, more towards the end. :smilenod:

Bookmarked for next time I'm looking for a dramatic soundtrack. :grin:

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2018, 07:13:05 PM

Also listen to some of Steve Reich's driving pieces for that kind of effect.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 30, 2018, 07:15:42 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2018, 07:13:05 PM

Also listen to some of Steve Reich's driving pieces for that kind of effect.

:thumbsup: :grin:

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

This song brings back memories of a friend who passed away, long ago.

Icarus

Here is another one that could fit with Silvers car race.  In this case you can almost hurt with sympathy for the horses that are being driven so hard.

Harmonie, this has some important Bassoon work, then flutes.  The Ride To Dubno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asoLIJpvb_w

Sandra Craft

I like that.  It wouldn't be my first stop on the radio, but I like it.  Also love The Firebird and Carmina Burana tho for me they're moving in the wrong way -- CB in particular makes me feel like I'm about to be chased thru a dark wood.

I find this piece soothing, but why I'm not sure.  Maybe a resigned "there there" quality about it?

Without words (On the Nature of Daylight)

With words (This Bitter Earth)
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany