News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Why we need God in our life?

Started by sweetto, December 24, 2017, 07:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 24, 2017, 10:35:18 PM
And to the ones who insist that there is evidence for the supernatural/god, please look up the meaning of the word "evidence", and how scientists use it, before you do.

OK I'm not the most scientific of HAFers but I have beer so I willing to take this on.

"How scientists use it?"
Surely the word/concept predates modern science.
Courts have been using it since the goat days.

OK, you're doing your modern science, testing a drug, so you administer it to your test subjects, wait a bit, ask them how they feel:

Subject 1: FUCK MY HEAD HURTS,
Subject 2 UNG, UNNGGG THE PAIN!!!
Subject 3 . .   .  ..   . ___________
Subject 4 Yes, my hair is shinier, than you.
Subject 5 OH JUST KILL ME, KILL ME!!!
Subject 6 I'll tell you but not when that table's listening.

Have I established human testimony is part of science?

OK, we'll try this, try to settle the are they extinct question
Have you seen one of these?
(I didn't watch much of this, I felt myself slipping into No one mode.)

Person 1 Na
Person 2 Err, no, no, no
Person 3 Ye, no, ye, no, no no no
Person 4 no, thank god
Person 5 yessss burrrrp
Did it look like this?

Ye, blurrp,  that's him, he's me mate
Person 6 No
Person 7 Yes, yes and we have a special 15% off on all our rooms for January, get in quick, won't last.
Person 8 No, no, was that the wrong answer?

Seeking answers, asking humans is part of science, isn't it?
As I define it there is evidence of god, just NOT nearly enough.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 28, 2017, 01:20:21 PM
And to the ones who insist that there is evidence for the supernatural/god, please look up the meaning of the word "evidence", and how scientists use it, before you do.

OK I'm not the most scientific of HAFers but I have beer so I willing to take this on.

"How scientists use it?"

Like the word "theory", "evidence" has both a colloquial use and a much stricter scientific one.   When most atheists ask for evidence of god, it seems to me we're asking for the kind of evidence that will pass scientific muster since in most cases god is being presented to us as a scientific fact.  We're asking for the kind of evidence that fits the kind of claim being made.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 28, 2017, 11:08:25 PM

"How scientists use it?"

Like the word "theory", "evidence" has both a colloquial use and a much stricter scientific one.   When most atheists ask for evidence of god, it seems to me we're asking for the kind of evidence that will pass scientific muster since in most cases god is being presented to us as a scientific fact.  We're asking for the kind of evidence that fits the kind of claim being made.

Agreed, Books. "Belief" is entirely appropriate to the theory of god, but only on a personal level. An individual may believe anything and not need evidence to support it. When it comes to convincing others that their belief has credence, however, al leat one of two things is required: independent supporting evidence for sceptics or a "need" in the credulous.

The really skillful bit is convincing those people who already have a perfectly serviceable set of set of supernatural entities of their own that your supernatural entity is the only real one.

Hmm, interesting... the old missionaries, working in more "primitive" cultures, possibly needed to replace a empirical set of beliefs, ones built up through experience, through generations of false correlation between cause and effect, That may be that storm and sea gods must exist, though they may have capricious or hair trigger tempers, because if you pray to them every time most of your fishing trips are safe and successful. If they are not then it must be the fault if a member of your group - or the whole group if it happens too often and after making an example of the chosen scapegoat. So pray harder or accept that you are damned.

If the latter then an ever-luvin entity, ever willing to forgive if you show contrition, is a, er, god-send. But, just in case, keep a few of the old icons on your boat or round your neck, insurance y'know.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on December 29, 2017, 06:54:51 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 28, 2017, 11:08:25 PM

"How scientists use it?"

Agreed, Books. "Belief" is entirely appropriate to the theory of god, but only on a personal level. An individual may believe anything and not need evidence to support it. When it comes to convincing others that their belief has credence, however, al leat one of two things is required: independent supporting evidence for sceptics or a "need" in the credulous.

The really skillful bit is convincing those people who already have a perfectly serviceable set of set of supernatural entities of their own that your supernatural entity is the only real one.

Hmm, interesting... the old missionaries, working in more "primitive" cultures, possibly needed to replace a empirical set of beliefs, ones built up through experience, through generations of false correlation between cause and effect, That may be that storm and sea gods must exist, though they may have capricious or hair trigger tempers, because if you pray to them every time most of your fishing trips are safe and successful. If they are not then it must be the fault if a member of your group - or the whole group if it happens too often and after making an example of the chosen scapegoat. So pray harder or accept that you are damned.

If the latter then an ever-luvin entity, ever willing to forgive if you show contrition, is a, er, god-send. But, just in case, keep a few of the old icons on your boat or round your neck, insurance y'know.

A super natural creature/s exists controlling everything.
Many/most people think so, they can feel it.
That's how the thing is perceived, through feeling it.
All those people saying "yes I feel it" is evidence.
I don't think it is sufficient to conclude god IS though.
It's possible I have the spiritual equivalent of colour blindness.
I won't go into the problems with their story, Doctor Who is waiting.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.