News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Experiences with Evangelical Christians?

Started by SisterAgatha, November 25, 2017, 03:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SisterAgatha

What is your experience with Evangelical Christians?

Are any in your family? are any your friends? What are they like?

I am not so sure about them.

Apart from their faith they seem a bit harsh, judgmental and intellectually uncurious about any faith/tradition apart from their own.

Plus, they seem to think Catholocism is some crazy pagan cult and not true Christianity. Crazy right?

Please let me know

Dave

My experience was a total nutter preaching at me, personally, at the top of her voice in the charity shop I was helping in. I had to resort to picking up the phone and dialling the police to convince her I had no interest in joining her "lord".

I did not actually press the third digit but "acted out" the call. I saw her talking, animatedly, to one of the cathedral officials a couple of days later. He just looked, sort of, patient.

Otherwise its just the usual shouty people we get on street corners in the town centre.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on November 25, 2017, 08:34:25 AM
Otherwise its just the usual shouty people we get on street corners in the town centre.

Ours sings rather than shouts, which is nice because he's got a good voice.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

No one

I've got a pocket full of evangelical kryptonite. So I'm basically immune.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 25, 2017, 03:48:31 AM
What is your experience with Evangelical Christians?

Are any in your family? are any your friends? What are they like?

I am not so sure about them.

Apart from their faith they seem a bit harsh, judgmental and intellectually uncurious about any faith/tradition apart from their own.

Plus, they seem to think Catholocism is some crazy pagan cult and not true Christianity. Crazy right?

Please let me know

The part in blue is true about all religions, and the part in red is true about catholicism, except it left out the part about how they openly support and protect pedophiles.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Skeptik

Well, I can say that I am certainly qualified to speak on this matter, seeing as how I was raised an evangelical christian from birth and managed to shake off the chains around the age of 30.  :)  I had began having doubts earlier than that, but I dared not make them known, or even admit to myself that I was having them.

QuoteAre any in your family? are any your friends? What are they like?

My entire family fall into the category.
What are they like?  Well, I'll start by saying that for the most part they are good people.  They simply believe what they do because, like me, they grew up being taught that way.  Most would give you the shirt off their back if they thought you needed it, regardless of what you believed.
However, when it comes to their actual belief, it is rather bizarre.
Most of my upbringing revolved around strict rules that must be obeyed.  I was married with my own house before I ever had a television because they are evil.  My mother has never cut her hair or worn a pair of slacks in her life, and likewise has never worn makeup.  The only music I was allowed to listen to was Christian music, and not even all of that.  I couldn't listen to any of that evil christian rock music of course.
It is all rules based, and the rules are clearly just made up.

QuoteApart from their faith they seem a bit harsh, judgmental and intellectually uncurious about any faith/tradition apart from their own.

A lot of them are just that.
Even the ones who are otherwise good people are judgmental on the inside.  The particular group that I grew up in (Pentecostals) pretty much believed that they were the only ones who were right and that any deviation regardless of how slight, would condemn you to hell.
And they were certainly uncurious about the beliefs of anyone else.

QuotePlus, they seem to think Catholocism is some crazy pagan cult and not true Christianity. Crazy right?

Absolutely correct, at least the ones I grew up with.
Catholics were just a half step above atheists and satanists in my circles.

I was in this type of environment for 30+ years and still interact with many evangelical christians on a daily basis, so if you have any other questions, I would be glad to answer if I can.
The certainty with which I know another man's religion is folly makes me suspect my own is also - Mark Twain

Dear Religion,
Today we safely brought a man back from outer space, while you shot a child in the face for wanting to go to school.
Sincerely,
Science