News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Would you do Confession?

Started by SisterAgatha, November 21, 2017, 05:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SisterAgatha

Would any of you atheists go to confession, just for kicks if for nothing else.

Obviously you don't beleive in a God, especially not one who you need to ask forgiveness of.

Yet would you ever do it just as a "cultural experience" to see a comforting spirtual practice for many people?

And though you all don't believe in "sin" as such you definitley are aware of bad things youve done, or things you need to improve upon.

Perhaps you spend way too much time watching tv. Perhaps you said a hurtful gossipy thing about a trusted family member or friend. Perhaps you eat far too many sweets and cakes than are good for you.

Whatever the case may be it might feel good to get it off your chest.

Don't worry. The priest can't see you and you can't see him! There is no judging involved.

Maybe you all should try it sometime....who knows what experience you might have!

No one

Biggus Dickus

No...wouldn't waste my fucking time, nor would I want to bare my "Soul" to a fucking priest who represents a religion that carries with it the baggage of pedophilia.

There is no such thing as sin.

If I've hurt someone I would ask their forgiveness directly.

Have to ask this question though, "Why the hell would you tell a priest you possibly watch too much TV, or you have a sweet tooth"?

ME: "Forgive me Father for I have sinned, yesterday I binged watched Seasons One and Two of the "Walking Dead", and I ate a whole fucking apple pie by myself"....

Pedophile Priest: Damn't Bruno I've told you to stop using obscene language in the confessional! So tell me is Sophia still alive or do we need to watch Season Three for that information? Also, nothing wrong with eating a whole pie, just as long as it isn't one of those "Fish Head Monstrosities" some atheist believe are pies.

"Say the Holy Rosary a few times, and leave a nice donation in the basket, and your sins will be forgiven my son"

Fucking Catholics are so weird... :mysterious:
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 21, 2017, 05:10:06 PM
Would any of you atheists go to confession, just for kicks if for nothing else.
Is that what your religion has come down to? Doing "spiritual" things 'just for kicks'? People baptize their kids, 'just for kicks'? People attend church, 'just for kicks'?
:picard facepalm:

Obviously you don't beleive in a God,
If you really understand what this means, why are you constantly talking to us about it?  :eyebrow:

especially not one who you need to ask forgiveness of.
Of course not. We ask the person we hurt to forgive us, what does your god have to do with it?  :d'oh!:

Yet would you ever do it just as a "cultural experience" to see a comforting spirtual practice for many people?
I tell you what, I'll go to confession for the "cultural experience" if you take part in another "cultural experience," a Muslim flagellation ritual. Yes?  :eyebrow:

And though you all don't believe in "sin" as such you definitley are aware of bad things youve done, or things you need to improve upon.
How do you know what we believe? All of us, every single one of us?  :eyebrow:

Perhaps you spend way too much time watching tv. Perhaps you said a hurtful gossipy thing about a trusted family member or friend. Perhaps you eat far too many sweets and cakes than are good for you.
Perhaps you just told us all the things you did yesterday?  :eyebrow:

Whatever the case may be it might feel good to get it off your chest.
The priest should do the same.

Don't worry. The priest can't see you and you can't see him! There is no judging involved.
Don't worry? Who's worried? And why does the priest 'hide' his identity?  Is he worried? :eyebrow:

Maybe you all should try it sometime....who knows what experience you might have!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

I can see that some might feel the need to voice some guilt thry feel to another, it can give a sense of release.

But if you mean a Catholic type confession, admitting "sins" and being given a pointless task to "repay" for them? . . . Not a chance in hell. Chances are the priest might be even more in need of confession than his congregation.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Church says we are broken even before we are born.

Church says they have the key to fixing us.

Do you seriously not see anything wrong with this picture? Anything at all?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Pasta Chick

Not a chance.

And cultural experience? Are you kidding me? The last time I agreed to partake in a Catholic ritual under the impression it was meaningful to someone I cared about, I was hissed at for not going through the motions (I was just sitting quietly and lowering my eyes as needed so as to not stare creepily at anyone during prayer), then as soon as it was over I was rushed out the door because they didn't want to get stuck talking to the priest and the second the car door closed they all started pissing and moaning about how awful and tedious that was.

Fuck. That.

Sandra Craft

Perhaps I've murdered somebody and chopped the body into bits and put those bits into baggies and hidden the baggies all over the city . . .  perhaps I've said too much.   :unsure:
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

jumbojak

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 21, 2017, 11:16:39 PM
Perhaps I've murdered somebody and chopped the body into bits and put those bits into baggies and hidden the baggies all over the city . . .  perhaps I've said too much.   :unsure:

That's my thinking. Use it as an opportunity to convince the priest he is sitting in the booth across from the most deranged psychopath since Charles Manson. I like to play little jokes like that on people... The current project is to convince a regular at work that I'm African. I think I can pull it off. Frightening a priest would be easy in comparison.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on November 22, 2017, 03:27:45 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 21, 2017, 11:16:39 PM

That's my thinking. Use it as an opportunity to convince the priest he is sitting in the booth across from the most deranged psychopath since Charles Manson. I like to play little jokes like that on people... The current project is to convince a regular at work that I'm African. I think I can pull it off. Frightening a priest would be easy in comparison.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bad Penny II

I would go if Dave Allen was behind the screen.
And if I was...

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on November 22, 2017, 06:29:05 AM

:faints:  Maybe you could get a nice naive one who actually is a virgin.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 22, 2017, 10:39:12 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 22, 2017, 06:29:05 AM

:faints:  Maybe you could get a nice naive one who actually is a virgin.

:grin: