News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

All things brain...

Started by Claireliontamer, July 12, 2017, 08:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

^ All brains are plastic, even if that plasticity declines with age.

I think whether an older person learns well or not has a lot to do with mindset, the learner's previous self-judgement of their capacity goes a long way. For instance, my mother teaches English to a lot of older students (retired people looking to keep their brains active in their senior years) and says that a lot of them believe that they won't learn anything in their old age. That an old dog can't learn new tricks, which obviously isn't true. Those that are more open-minded to the fact that they will learn (if they put in the effort, of course) do learn better than those who don't.

Positive belief goes a long way. Those who don't give themselves a chance are at a disadvantage.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 13, 2018, 02:39:49 PMThose that are more open-minded to the fact that they will learn (if they put in the effort, of course) do learn better than those who don't.

Positive belief goes a long way. Those who don't give themselves a chance are at a disadvantage.

They probably got their positive belief from past success.
The negs prob'ly got their attitude from past failures.
A man's got to know his limitations. [Clint E snear]
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 13, 2018, 02:55:02 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 13, 2018, 02:39:49 PMThose that are more open-minded to the fact that they will learn (if they put in the effort, of course) do learn better than those who don't.

They probably got their positive belief from past success.
The negs prob'ly got their attitude from past failures.
A man's got to know his limitations. [Clint E snear]

Everyone fails and succeeds, so why do some focus on failures while others more on their successes? 

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 13, 2018, 03:06:11 PM
Everyone fails and succeeds, so why do some focus on failures while others more on their successes?

Everyone fails and succeeds but some succeed a lot more than others.
Some have to fail to make the others the statistical successes they are.
I'm sure the answer is to be found either in their nature or their nurturing.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 13, 2018, 03:23:28 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 13, 2018, 03:06:11 PM

Everyone fails and succeeds but some succeed a lot more than others.
Some have to fail to make the others the statistical successes they are.

That's true. But failures seem to carry extra weight for some people, make a stronger impression in their minds. Of course it depends what they've failed at and what they think of it...Whether they feel they can brush it off and try again or whether they stop in order to avoid further failures. In people with chronic depression, for instance, a structure called the anterior cingulate cortex (ACC) is overactive which results in people "overremembering" autobiographical memories, especially the bad ones, compared to healthy control subjects. The ACC is usually the target for implanting a deep brain stimulator (in this case, inhibitor) in people with major depression as a last resort, when medication fails.   

I'm sure the answer is to be found either in their nature or their nurturing.

Probably in both.  :)

xSilverPhinx

Davin

I like that one. I subscribed to the channel, because it has a lot of good videos.

I wonder what's different with my mind that I don't really like social media. Maybe it's just because I'm old.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on April 24, 2018, 03:46:10 PM
I like that one. I subscribed to the channel, because it has a lot of good videos.

I wonder what's different with my mind that I don't really like social media. Maybe it's just because I'm old.

I feel the same way. I know oldies like me who are anti-social media fans but I only keep my Facebook account oir when someone links to Fb or there is some cause I want to support. Not anti-social, just don't feel the need for much of the stuff on there.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Maybe you have other priorities?  :shrug:

I don't like social media much either, but feel "forced" to use FB because everyone else does. For instance, when I was an undergraduate, news on what was going on on campus, tips and recommendations were given in FB groups. It helps me keep in touch with extended family who live far away as well.

But I hate FB. I don't understand how someone can want to have 1000+ "friends" and not know who 80% of them are. "Friends" became collectables now?   

No one

Faceplace should be renamed "My Giant Inflated Ego"!

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 27, 2018, 10:20:16 PM

Maybe you have other priorities?  :shrug:

I don't like social media much either, but feel "forced" to use FB because everyone else does. For instance, when I was an undergraduate, news on what was going on on campus, tips and recommendations were given in FB groups. It helps me keep in touch with extended family who live far away as well.

But I hate FB. I don't understand how someone can want to have 1000+ "friends" and not know who 80% of them are. "Friends" became collectables now?
I think that's true (but I still think there is a bit of an old man thing going on with me), I think it comes down to goals and finding tools to meet those goals. I like talking to family and friends, but I find the format of FaceBook to me more of a hindrance for me. For some people though, that is the only way to do it more than a few times a year. If there were a tool better suited to my needs, I'd probably be using that a lot. But because I don't see how someone can create a several billion dollar a year business on a platform that suits me better, nor do I see all my friends and family liking it as much as I would, I don't think that is likely to happen.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Silver, I know you think it is yucky but do listen to the last in "The second genome" series (if you have not already got it tagged). This covers the effect on the gut flora on our brains, on depression, Parkinsonism etc. And vice versa. Fascinating!

QuoteIn this final episode of the series BBC Science and Health correspondent James Gallagher examines a growing body of research into the gut as a gateway to the mind and why some scientists believe we could be o the cusp of a revolution in psychiatry that uses microbes to improve mental health.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09zxl63

Dave

OK, no discussing the pros and cons of this quiz, just do it and show us your score folks!

https://youtu.be/DgJWkF8rHjY

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

I should have done this as a poll!