News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Biggus Dickus, March 08, 2016, 10:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

"...because thinking people don't regress without some disease eating away at their brain. That's why when I hear, or read a Christian say, "I used to be an atheist..." I roll my eyes and pity them for the cancer they must have in their brain. Of all the religions out there: Christianity demands of you to not think. You believe because some book tells you to; and the book is true because the book tells you it's true. Flawless logic that only a brain damaged or diseased mind would believe. Christianity's totem pole is Faith. Faith is the absence of proof. Add proof, and the mind begins to mend itself and the religion becomes a fairytale. And I like fairytales. They can be fun to read or watch but they're fiction just like religion. Anything that makes you stop thinking just makes us all sheep. And I don't know about you but I'd prefer to not be lamb stew to some else."

A private response to an acquaintance in a PM on another website on my viewpoint on every time I read or hear a Christian say, "I used to be an atheist".

I thought I'd share.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Essie Mae

I think there is usually a very strong influence on converts from some very charismatic, kindly people, not just by cults, but also mainstream Christianity. Also, they don't get the full story about some of the more genocidal and other unsavoury parts of the OT.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Nam

Christians today saying they used to be atheists is them saying, "I grew up in a Christian home. I went to church on Sunday's and went to Sunday Class/Camp and read the Bible. When I got Baptised, I became a True™ Christian. Before then I was just lost." i. e. I was a godless heathen/atheist. That's what they mean when they say they used to be an atheist. I've read or heard the story so many times. They actually believe they were atheists. I ask them: "Did you believe in Jesus and God and/or that Jesus is God before being baptized?" Every answer is "Yes". They were never atheists. Today, many fundamentalists and/or preachers use it as a tool in conversion, " Hey, I used to be an atheist, too! If I can change, so can you!"

It's bullshit propaganda.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Biggus Dickus

Women belong in the house... and the Senate. ~Author Unknown

I saw a t-shirt with that on it recently, love it.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

I want one of those tee shirts.

Biggus Dickus

Bruno, you're a genius...

xSilverPhinx

Arturo

"I have not yet begun to fight!"
~ John Paul Jones, America Revolutionary Naval Fighter

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
~Thomas Jefferson, American Revolutionary Fighter, 3rd President Of the United States

"I am not an educated man. I never had the opportunity to learn anything except how to fight"
~Pancho Villa, Mexican Revolutionary Leader

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."
~Pancho Villa, Mexican Revolutionary Leader
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

I was sitting outside for a time tonight with a fire going, and there was a decent breeze blowing. Although there aren't many leaves on the trees yet there are enough that I could hear some of the leaves in the trees and bushes singing in wind...my favorite is the song the leaves from birch trees make, especially when you travel north and sit along side a lake ringed with birches.

These have always been my favorite trees.

Anyway thinking of trees, leaves, wind and song reminded me of these lyrics from Eddie Vedder's "Guaranteed".

Wind in my hair I feel part of everywhere
Underneath my being is a road that disappeared
Late at night I hear the trees they're singing with the dead
Overhead

Might as well post a good live version of this song from the Water on the Road DVD.

Asmodean

Quote from: Thadon, Duke of Mania, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion Shivering Isles expansionIt all ends up the same. Dust and tears.

Context:
It felt like rather a long time, but then long times get longer when you're standing around thinking about them. A curious thing, that. Long roads get longer too, if you're thinking about them, but what about long words? They don't change nearly as much. Long, short -- it all ends up the same. Dust and tears. Usually tears first, then the dust. Dust can't cry, you see.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on May 22, 2016, 04:30:15 AM
I was sitting outside for a time tonight with a fire going, and there was a decent breeze blowing. Although there aren't many leaves on the trees yet there are enough that I could hear some of the leaves in the trees and bushes singing in wind...my favorite is the song the leaves from birch trees make, especially when you travel north and sit along side a lake ringed with birches.

Anyway thinking of trees, leaves, wind and song reminded me of these lyrics from Eddie Vedder's "Guaranteed".

Overhead

Might as well post a good live version of this song from the Water on the Road DVD.

That was awesome, I'll need to check this DVD out. I'm seeing Pearl Jam for the seventh (I think?)  time at Fenway Park in August. Love them, even though I haven't really enjoyed their last few albums.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

No one

MONKEES
Swami-Plus Strings Lyrics
feat. KEN THORNE
New! Tap highlighted lyrics to add Meanings, Special Memories, and Misheard Lyrics...
   Listen to Monkees songs, ad-free. Try Prime Music for free
We were speaking of belief
Beliefs and conditioning
All belief possibly could be said to be the result of some conditioning
Thus, the study of history is simply the study of one system of beliefs deposing another
And so on, and so on, and so on
A psychologically tested belief of our time is the central nervous system
Which feeds its impulses directly to the brain, the conscious and subconscious
Is unable to discern between the real, and the vividly imagined experience
If there is a difference, and most of us believe there is
Am I being clear?
For to examine these concepts requires tremendous energy and discipline
To experience the now without preconception of belief
To allow the unknown to occur and to occur requires clarity
For where there is clarity there is no choice
And where there is choice, there is misery
But then why should anyone listen to me?
Why should I speak? Since I know nothing! Heh heh heh!"

The Swami

Essie Mae

Quote from: Firebird on May 22, 2016, 04:55:13 PM
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on May 22, 2016, 04:30:15 AM

He's new to me. That was lovely. Research will take place.

Overhead

That was awesome, I'll need to check this DVD out. I'm seeing Pearl Jam for the seventh (I think?)  time at Fenway Park in August. Love them, even though I haven't really enjoyed their last few albums.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

OldGit

The believer is happy, the doubter is wise.

Irish Proverb

Guardian85

"Wanting to fuck somebody over and over for the rest of your life isn't love.
Wanting to be with somebody for the rest of your life no matter how many times life fucks you both over and over though?
Could be."

-Unknown-

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

"I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious, that means that they're worthy"

-Tim Minchin
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.