Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Music / Re: Music that moves you
« Last post by hermes2015 on Today at 09:39:07 AM »
Music / Re: Music that moves you
« Last post by hermes2015 on Today at 09:26:01 AM »
Ana Maria Martinez sings Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5 by Heitor Villa-Lobos.

Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by hermes2015 on Today at 09:01:30 AM »
Oops, too early am.

You beat me to it this morning.

Mornin', Hermes, woke up at about 4am, too hot. Actually often wake up then.

Hit "quote" rather than "modify".

Been very quiet here lately.

I would love some warmer weather. It is 10:00 here and sunny, but only about 10°.

Yes, it has been quiet. I think I will start being a bit more active now that I am almost back to normal.
« Last post by Dave on Today at 08:03:00 AM »
Oops, too early am.

Mornin', Hermes, woke up at about 4am, too hot. Actually often wake up then.

Hit "quote" rather than "modify".

Been very quiet here lately.
« Last post by hermes2015 on Today at 05:20:45 AM »
Oops, too early am.

Laid Back Lounge / Re: The answer is . . .
« Last post by Dave on Today at 04:50:49 AM »
The idea was not to supply the answer yourself:

'A' poses a weird question and 'B' supples a, hopefully weirder, answer.

In the other variation 'A' offers a weird answer and 'B' poses a weird question that (sort of at least) fits.
« Last post by Dave on Today at 04:43:26 AM »
Oops, too early am.
« Last post by Dave on July 21, 2018, 10:01:32 PM »
I know that I am going way OT here, but here is the "rocket gun"

https://youtu.be/cJAXpyt8-oQ
« Last post by Dave on July 21, 2018, 09:28:11 PM »
This is a link to characteristics in a game but a good illustration of the sounds of gunshots. Air temperature, humidity and wind can modify these.

Here the "smearing" sounds more like a sort of bass "hiss" after the crack but I liken it more to clapping at the end of a largish but short pipe in real life. He also raises the good point that, effectively, low notes travel further than high notes.

https://youtu.be/ToSjxK7Y0UU

See what these guys have to research into to bring realism into shoot 'em up games!?
« Last post by Dave on July 21, 2018, 07:55:59 PM »
Could it have been firecrackers or something similar?

Could have been, there has been nothing in the news. But they must have been pretty big firecrackers. With a gunshot at distance the sound gets "smeared" out, deeper components travel slowly than high frequency ones so it is almost like a very short echo. Never heard that effect from a firework and have heard plenty of those!

A shotgun has fewer high frequency and more lower components.

Interesting.

Ideally guns should produce little more than a pop. All the work of the propellant oudhing the bullet is done in the bsrrel, once the bullet leaves the muzzle it effectively coasts then starts to decelerate. The bang is surplus gas being disipated, plays little part in adding impetus to the bullet. But, as these things go, better to give the biggest shove you can and waste a little energy to ensure the bullet gets as far as fast as it can.

This does not apply to a system, made in the 60s, where the propellant was in the bullet, no cartridge case, it was still accelerating yards after leaving the muzzle! But it had to be a long bullet to get the range and therefore heavier - bit contradictory. But at short range it was, in effect, a mini explosive rocket with an almost flat trajectory.

Note: in my RAF days I was keen on guns, used to buy "Guns & Ammo" regularly,  and we had to learn a bit about the sound/distance/type thing in combat training (such as it was, we were only expected to be the very last line of defence. But I did ride "shotgun" and stand armed guard a few times in Cyprus and Bahrein.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10