News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Mental Illness, Stigma and Ignorance

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 26, 2018, 12:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 06, 2018, 01:30:59 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 06, 2018, 01:59:56 AM
You learn to deal with it. The point I was trying to get across before I got going was to try to let people be useful. Inactivity is the worst. My dad really got really bad after back surgery put him out of work.

Yes, it makes sense.

Thinking back on it it was not my MI and the thought of a life with a severely damaged heart that got me thoroughly depressed during my three weeks in hospital (the medics thought it was.) It was the almost total lack of occupation. I was not there long enough to qualify for occupational therapy, reading in a busy ward I do not find easy, i was virtually bed bound for all but the last three days and going out of my tiny mind!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Dragonia on March 06, 2018, 12:24:31 PM
Wow JJ, I'm kind of speechless, but I'm glad you shared that part of your life with us. Thank you, because it can't be pleasant talking about these issues.
I like your thoughts on being needed, and that will always be in the back of my mind now.
I'm glad you're here.
:this:

Very difficult to read. I can only imagine how difficult it is to go through it, JJ.

I admire your courage, telling us your story must have been tough.  A lot of us have painful stories to tell, but some of us are too chicken to share them...Like me...even after being here for 8 years with all these wonderful people. Again, I admire you and I think you belong here with us.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: jumbojak on March 06, 2018, 12:18:47 AM

I don't think many normal folks appreciate just how much a depressed person needs to be depended on. They need to know that somewhere someone is counting on them being at some place or doing some thing. It might not seem like much but letting them pick something up from the store, or take out your trash can be a big help.

Because without that, they'd never bother getting up or getting dressed. They might shower but only so they don't feel greasy and uncomfortable on the couch.

Totally understand this.  It lets us know we're not as useless as we think we are.  Sorry for all the difficulties, sometimes it seems like a rigged system.  I'm glad that at least you can talk to us, even tho we're just words on a screen.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

jumbojak

Quote from: Magdalena on March 06, 2018, 07:47:06 PM
Wow JJ, I'm kind of speechless, but I'm glad you shared that part of your life with us. Thank you, because it can't be pleasant talking about these issues.
I like your thoughts on being needed, and that will always be in the back of my mind now.
I'm glad you're here.

Very difficult to read. I can only imagine how difficult it is to go through it, JJ.

I admire your courage, telling us your story must have been tough.  A lot of us have painful stories to tell, but some of us are too chicken to share them...Like me...even after being here for 8 years with all these wonderful people. Again, I admire you and I think you belong here with us.

I've been dealing with this since I was eight or nine years old. I can't remember exactly. Something literally snapped in my head as fat as I can tell. One day I was fine and the next it was hard to be bothered about anything. I tried talking to my parents then but that just landed me in a lot of trouble. What I've written here will probably land me in some hot water sooner or later but I don't care anymore.

Trying to keep busy has led me into some self destructive behavior. The kind of stuff that leads to your family disowning you after you plead the fifth before Congress... I worry too that something I've done will come back to haunt me. Given the current political climate, I'm actually waiting for that particular hammer to drop. It was stupid, short sighted. But I have to own it now. There are times I wish I completely lost my mind like my father did. At least that way you can go back to some semblance of a normal life.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Siz

I've never suffered depression. And I can't hope to empathise. Reading all your stories  - and those of many (most?) people around me IRL - makes me think that I might be the exception rather than the norm.

I do wonder if my own dysfunction, walling me off emotionally on many levels, actually insulates me from depression. Being a cynical fucker, any bad news is more likely to evoke a sneer at the world rather than taken inwardly. This was tested recently with the death of my Grandmother whose company I enjoyed more than most in the world. Died in a fire. Probably a horrible way to go. My overriding emotion is relief - all her worldly suffering is over. I'm happy for her - it would be selfish to wish it different. And two other close deaths in 2017, both premature, have not dented my life either other than having to deal with those around me left alive.

...Or maybe it's all just more bricks in the wall?

Is that to be envied or pitied? A double-edged sword I suppose. It would be nice to experience more highs - to let more love into my life, perhaps - but not sure I'd be able to cope with the accompanying lows. Better, I think, to sail an even keel - albeit sitting low in the water. We'll all be dead soon, anyway, so that's a positive, right?!

Meanwhile, I try to be sympathetic to y'all who obviously suffer with depression. Peace.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Magdalena

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 06, 2018, 10:15:28 PM
...I'm glad that at least you can talk to us, even tho we're just words on a screen.
Wait...wait...

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on March 07, 2018, 02:44:44 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 06, 2018, 07:47:06 PM
I'm glad you're here.

I've been dealing with this since I was eight or nine years old. I can't remember exactly. Something literally snapped in my head as fat as I can tell. One day I was fine and the next it was hard to be bothered about anything. I tried talking to my parents then but that just landed me in a lot of trouble. What I've written here will probably land me in some hot water sooner or later but I don't care anymore.

Trying to keep busy has led me into some self destructive behavior. The kind of stuff that leads to your family disowning you after you plead the fifth before Congress... I worry too that something I've done will come back to haunt me. Given the current political climate, I'm actually waiting for that particular hammer to drop. It was stupid, short sighted. But I have to own it now. There are times I wish I completely lost my mind like my father did. At least that way you can go back to some semblance of a normal life.
I'm not one hundred percent sure I understand what you just said, but it sounds, "heavy."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on March 07, 2018, 04:57:43 AM
...I'm glad that at least you can talk to us, even tho we're just words on a screen.
Wait...wait...

Well, in your case, gifs on a screen.
Sandy

Magdalena

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 07, 2018, 06:35:20 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 07, 2018, 04:57:43 AM
Wait...wait...

Well, in your case, gifs on a screen.

We're just words on a screen.
We're gifs on a screen.
We're dust in the wind.

:grin:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on March 07, 2018, 08:11:34 AM

We're gifs on a screen.
We're dust in the wind.

Now that song is going to be stuck in my head all day, particularly the "ooohhh ooooohhhh ooooohhhh" part.
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 07, 2018, 04:52:58 PM

We're gifs on a screen.
We're dust in the wind.

Now that song is going to be stuck in my head all day, particularly the "ooohhh ooooohhhh ooooohhhh" part.

I have no idea what you're talking about and hope it stays that way. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 07, 2018, 04:56:54 PM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 07, 2018, 04:52:58 PM

We're gifs on a screen.
We're dust in the wind.

I have no idea what you're talking about and hope it stays that way. :grin:
^^^
:snicker:
OK, xSilverPhinx.

I'm sorry, Sandra Craft.   :lol:

Tom62

I've had some encounters with mental illnesses as well. Two of my friends and a friendly neighbor suffered from depressions, which made them commit suicide.

My mother developed a cleanliness phobia, when I was about 12 years old. The whole family went than through a living hell (until her early death, 6 years later). I've seen things, that words can hardly describe. Like my mother lying completely drunk and naked on the living room floor; or lying apathetically in bed for many, many days. Professional help  and medication only helped for a short period of time.

Currently my niece is writing a blog, about her life with her dominating, alcoholic father (my brother) and her manic-depressive mother. I've told you about the nasty stuff that my brother had on his hard disk before, but how he treated his wife and his daughter is truly heart breaking. I can't imagine all the horrors, that she went through. Most of it was kept secret, like my sister-in-law two suicide attempts.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Essie Mae

Quote from: Tom62 on March 08, 2018, 05:48:10 PM
I've had some encounters with mental illnesses as well. Two of my friends and a friendly neighbor suffered from depressions, which made them commit suicide.

My mother developed a cleanliness phobia, when I was about 12 years old. The whole family went than through a living hell (until her early death, 6 years later). I've seen things, that words can hardly describe. Like my mother lying completely drunk and naked on the living room floor; or lying apathetically in bed for many, many days. Professional help  and medication only helped for a short period of time.

Currently my niece is writing a blog, about her life with her dominating, alcoholic father (my brother) and her manic-depressive mother. I've told you about the nasty stuff that my brother had on his hard disk before, but how he treated his wife and his daughter is truly heart breaking. I can't imagine all the horrors, that she went through. Most of it was kept secret, like my sister-in-law two suicide attempts.

That's so tragic Tom.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey