News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Been So Long... Hello again!

Started by Rift Zone, February 02, 2018, 02:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Don't believe we've ever met but welcome back.  :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

OldGit

I'm sorry to say I don't recall you, RZ, but welcome back anyway. :)

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on February 03, 2018, 10:45:00 AM
I'm sorry to say I don't recall you, RZ, but welcome back anyway. :)
It's your age.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

I've been not very present the last couple of years, but I don't recall us crossing paths before, so G'day from the Land Downunder!   8)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

joeactor

Quote from: Rift Zone on February 03, 2018, 05:59:23 AM
That's awesome Hermes!   Chemistry is cool...   wish I knew more about it.

Magdalena, Yea huh!   CA rocks.   The redwoods always have had my heart.    :notworthy:

I'm in the SoCal area. Got some friends who moved to NZ - they love it there.
Our escape plan is in Spain.
USA! USA! US Ahhhh whatever...

Rift Zone

Thanks OldGit!

Lol@Tank

G'Day to you Bluenose!

Joeactor, my sister is in so cal... studio city! She just bought a condo so that'll probably change soon.   NZ rules!  It's hard to find a better country.   And they have redwoods, so I lose nothing.  =)   Spain sounds nice.  Europe in general is doing pretty good for itself.
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Icarus

Welcome RZ. 

Your profession is admirable even though you may be a maverick as you suggested.   I do believe that it is an essential  plan to explore different ways of thinking.

I am presently up to my eyebrows in a book written by a Physics./cosmology post doc named Stephon Alexander a prof at Brown Univ.  His book: Jazz of Physics tells us that within the string theory realm there is music.  Vibrations and all that.  Alexander is also a jazz musician and that part I understand.  The physics part is well beyond my paygrade.   Black holes emit musical sounds???? 

The author is most unique because he is a black man in a field of work that is not much populated by that particular minority.

I look forward to having you regale us with some physics lore.  We do have some smart folks here who are receptive to that kind of thing. We are, as you may know, also receptive to comedy, Trump hating, and lots of other stuff. 

Rift Zone

Hello Icarus!   

Thanks for the compliment.   =)

Ha!  -I was going to stay out of the science section...   My interest is more along the lines of discussing nuances within the softer sciences.   Having said that, I am a science geek, and I do love to geek out on physics.   I would be delighted to share the theory I'm working on, as well as why it holds that perspective(s) ...just be prepared for it not playing nice with modern science; it basically scraps what we think we know and starts over, which also means there's a lot of ground to cover even for a cursory introduction.   Still sound like fun?   Trump hating would probably go over better.  Lol
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Rift Zone

Quote from: Icarus on February 03, 2018, 10:36:47 PM
a black man in a field of work that is not much populated by that particular minority.
yea, too bad too.    I had a physics professor who was darker than 2pac, great guy and physicist.   Sylvester James Gates came to mind when I read that.   But yea, it's sadly a rare thing to see.

Magdalena

I'm sorry for interrupting but I don't think Icarus knows who The great 2pac is, or was...Well, still is and always will be. :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Rift Zone

😕   Sad.   Pac was down.   

Magdalena

He was.  :(

Icarus: Tupac Amaru Shakur, or  2Pac was an American rapper, poet and actor. He was one of the best-selling music artists of all time.
I would also add activist to that list.  :cryandrun:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Rift Zone

still picturing you rollin    ...thug life baby   :fistbump:

Icarus

Cut me some slack Mags.  I do know who Tupac is.  I also know who George Washington Carver was, and of course there is Morgan Freeman, one of my favorites, Poitier and Bellafonte too.  I can handle Oprah but Joy Reid is one of my most favored talking heads. Cory Booker....and plenty more talented people with darker pigmentation have my respect..  The unfair thing is that they are not proportionally represented in our celebrity ranks.  So when we get someone who is an outstanding individual of color then I feel free, and pleased, to express admiration. 

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on February 04, 2018, 05:00:31 AM
Cut me some slack Mags.  I do know who Tupac is...
I'm surprised to hear you know Tupac. The reason I said it is because last time you said rap wasn't music, that it was...Well, we're not gonna go there, again.
Peace. ✌
California Love.