News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Documentaries

Started by Biggus Dickus, November 28, 2017, 03:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

How a Korean Potter Found a "Beautiful Life" Through His Art: A Short, Life-Affirming Documentary.

I've watched this documentary twice. It's about 35 minutes long, but worth the time, possibly you'll wish it was longer. It tells the story of ceramic artist Lee Kang-hyo's search for a beautiful life, through his work with clay and the love of his family, and it also gives an insight into the spiritual journey that plays a vital part in his artistic practice.

Ceramic culture is very closely connected to dietary life and food culture in Korea. As you may know Korea has developed a fermented food culture which dates back hundreds of years, and a lot of foods are fermented and stored, such as sauces and kimchi and these might stay in these ceramic jars for years before consumption.

It's a traditional Korean ceramic technique called Onggi.

Enjoy.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

^^^
Very nice, Father. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for posting it.

My favorite part: "He said: The form doesn't always have to be straight. It can be beautiful. That was his advice to being free."  :tellmemore:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Thank you. That is a very moving documentary that has awakened a longing to get my hands dirty with wet clay again. He uses the same coiling technique that I use to create my stuff, so I can almost feel what he is doing. When one scrapes that heavily grogged body with a metal kidney, it gives a wonderful texture that I like to just rub over with oxides. I also love the balletic way he interacts with the glaze when he decorates the pot.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

LOL..I forgot all about posting this video here. I emailed this video to some of my friends and family and have received a good deal of positive feedback...including an excited email from my niece who is a budding young artist herself.

So I thought last night after reading her email that I should post this here on HAF all the while totally forgetting that I had already done so.

Anyway I'm glad you both enjoyed it...I just love how much energy and play he brings into his creation, as well as his whole story about learning to think outside the box and trying to make a peaceful life.

That's about all I want. :)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."