Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 16, 2014, 10:06:39 AMNothing a good travel phrasebook can't help with. ;D If you get one then just see that the pronunciation guide is European Portuguese and not Brazilian because they can differ quite a bit. Orthography is the same in both but they have some different grammatical preferences. Nothing that poses too much of a barrier, though.  Sometimes we have a hard time understanding each other's speech. :D

The shortest, and easiest way to remember, way of saying that would be "Desculpe, mas n?o falo portugu?s." If you want to ask whether they speak English/Spanish then you could ask "Fala ingl?s/espanhol?"

Thank you, xSilverPhinx.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to ask yet another question.  :poke:

This time, specifically regarding the use of present perfect in the standard British English variety. When writing a scientific paper, is it preferable to say Doe et al. (2015) have demonstrated" or just demonstrated?

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 16, 2015, 12:05:14 PM
I thought I'd resurrect this thread to ask yet another question.  :poke:

This time, specifically regarding the use of present perfect in the standard British English variety. When writing a scientific paper, is it preferable to say Doe et al. (2015) have demonstrated" or just demonstrated?
Either will do. I'd go for demonstrated
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

I'm embarrassed by the stupidity of this question, but I have to ask.  :couchhide:

Which is preferable - an M4 antagonist or a M4 antagonist?

I know 'M' isn't a vowel but it's the way pronounced that gets those little worms of doubt wiggling in my head. :bigspecs:
When I google both options the former turns up more options than the latter.

So yeah.  :daddance:

Claireliontamer

Personally I'd say an but not sure if that's grammatically correct.

Biggus Dickus

I agree with Claire, fairly certain it would be correct to say, "An 54 antagonist". However, how about saying "An 54 mofo antagonist"?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Recusant

No question, "an M4 antagonist" is correct. When the name of a letter is pronounced, it's just like any other word. Since "M" is pronounced "em," the correct diction is "an."

QuoteBefore you make the commitment to earn an MBA, you must first understand exactly what an MBA is, as well as whether it's the right degree program for you. An MBA, or a Master of Business Administration, provides a graduate education in foundational business practices, such as accounting, finance, marketing and management.

But don't just believe me or some copywriter. Check the Grammar-Monster:)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 19, 2016, 01:45:32 PM
I agree with Claire, fairly certain it would be correct to say, "An 54 antagonist". However, how about saying "An 54 mofo antagonist"?

That would almost make it too badass.  8)

However, I don't particularly like the word 'mofo', which in Portuguese means 'mold'. That's why I said almost:P

xSilverPhinx

I'm going to resurrect this necrothread to ask for help once again.

In the following sentence:

QuoteHere, we explored for the first time the boundary conditions to turn caffeine administration a potential pharmacological strategy to attenuate  contextual fear memories through periodical trace reactivation.

'Turn' seems to be an inadequate choice of a word to use in this context. I'm rattling my brain but can't think of a better way to rewrite this sentence.  :scratch:

I would drink copious amounts of caffeine right now in hopes that it might enhance my functioning but it's almost 11 pm, which would make that a really bad idea.  :count sheep:

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 23, 2017, 02:34:45 AM
I'm going to resurrect this necrothread to ask for help once again.

In the following sentence:

QuoteHere, we explored for the first time the boundary conditions to turn caffeine administration a potential pharmacological strategy to attenuate  contextual fear memories through periodical trace reactivation.

'Turn' seems to be an inadequate choice of a word to use in this context. I'm rattling my brain but can't think of a better way to rewrite this sentence.  :scratch:

I would drink copious amounts of caffeine right now in hopes that it might enhance my functioning but it's almost 11 pm, which would make that a really bad idea.  :count sheep:

This is not my field, so don't understand the sentence, but my first impression is that it is too long and should be split into two. Could you explain what it actually means in simple English?

That word turn does feel a bit odd, but it could be perfectly legitimate usage within the jargon of this particular discipline. Once I understand it, I can suggest some ways to rewrite the sentence.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames