News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 05, 2019, 01:22:42 AM
Quote from: Bluenose on March 04, 2019, 11:06:47 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on March 04, 2019, 07:13:16 PM
Have you gentlemen tried applying Standard Emergency Repair Procedure #1?

Ha, ha!  When I was flying in the Navy, back in the dark ages, our aircraft sometimes had some equipment that had been salvaged from other aircraft that had been involved in a deliberately lit fire in the hangar a few years prior.  Such equipment was identified with a red X painted on a prominent part of the gear.  The maintainers used to get upset when we aircrew asked them if that was where we thumped it when it when it didn't work.

:eyebrow: You flew in aircraft with salvaged parts that had been in a fire? Who ever decided that these parts were airworthy!? Or were you flying suicide missions, anyway? It's not reassuring that the US Navy isn't the only service with pyromaniacs in it. I served on the USS Oriskany as my last duty station, and someone set a fire below an expansion joint in the fire main system. Of course, the fire went out, but what a mess. People nearly died, because a hatch to a berthing compartment had to be closed to reduce flooding, with a bunch of sailors in it.v >:(

Well the equipment was things like radio gear and the computers etc used to monitor sensors.  Only gear that was clearly undamaged and then thoroughly tested was used.  The fire happened when a disaffected sailor opened the hangar door, went around and opened the fuel cocks then went back to the door and made a paper aeroplane, lit it with his lighter and flew it into the pool of AVGAS on the hangar floor.  Most of the aircraft were totally destroyed, but even those not totalled were write-offs.  We replaced the aircraft with some bought from Jimmy Carter's used airplane lot in the Arizona desert.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Said "disaffected sailor" got a fair trial and a fine hanging, right?

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 05, 2019, 03:13:30 PM

One would hope so.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 05, 2019, 03:13:30 PM

No, he was deemed mentally unfit and locked away at the Governors pleasure.  Later released and subsequently died in a motor cycle accident.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

That pyro guy must have been a displaced American.  We have the market cornered for lunatic activity.  Every damned day there is some crazy that believes he, less frequently she, is mysteriously  compelled to do mortal damage to other humans.  (refer to the science section and click the thread about brain activity)

Glad you made it out of there intact Bluenose.

xSilverPhinx

Feels like a Friday, but still isn't.  :folded:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Tank

xSilverPhinx

Bad Penny II

It's Sunday 1:02

I took some pictures of Sam a week or so back, I rejoiced but I knew some wouldn't so I didn't share.
Yes, so, Sam was a large spider, I pointed her/him out to wife and daughter, they didn't share my emotions.
I don't like moving them outside, the capture process is tricky, I've set at least one loose less a leg.
I heard rooms away aerosol squirts, felt fear, sought reassurance, it was given: No arachnid killen here.
I saw him/her after that, in a new position, glorious hairy legged jewel of creation waiting the wait.
Saturday morning; I go to open a window and Sam is there, seemingly whole but obviously dead.
Crushed for our petty want for ventilation, did I ever explain her/his magnificence, obviously not, I couldn't.
I broke the news to my wife "I told you to put it outside".  She can be a cold hard person at times.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Magdalena

I totally understand you, Bad Penny II. It's the same thing here..." Just pick up the cricket and take it outside, you don't have to kill it...!" But noooooooo.
:felix:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

I'm bored and procrastinating.  :Gaah:

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 25, 2019, 09:54:31 PM
I'm bored and procrastinating.  :Gaah:

No, you're bored because you are procrastinating. :grin: