News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Everything makes me grumpy.   I'm old and I'm pissed off.  It's so easy to get irritated with almost anything. This attitude has become prevalent in the past 5 years.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 21, 2019, 10:22:50 PM
Everything makes me grumpy.   I'm old and I'm pissed off.  It's so easy to get irritated with almost anything. This attitude has become prevalent in the past 5 years.
:therethere:
Me too.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

I thought it was just me.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 22, 2019, 04:50:06 AM

Nope. As you get older your tolerance for stupid erodes to the point where EVERYTHING is fucking irritating!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

My eldest daughter (bless her) is attempting to organise a family holiday for me and my wife for our joint 60th birthday. I do not take well to being organised!  >:(

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on June 22, 2019, 09:03:58 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 22, 2019, 04:50:06 AM

Nope. As you get older your tolerance for stupid erodes to the point where EVERYTHING is fucking irritating!

That sounds familiar.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

My lovely wife has been hounding me to "take a trip"  Her idea of a trip is to book into one of the touristy River boats that ply the Rhine, Seine, or some other European river. To be sure the view of some of the magnificent old castles would be interesting but not if I have to be confined in an inescapable boat with hundreds of other annoying "rubber neck" tourists.

I am perfectly comfortable with strangers but I do not want to be forced to live with them for eight, ten, fifteen days while we on our way to Belgrade or some other destination.

Goddammit I don't want to do that just on general principles.   Not to mention the ten grand or more that even the most modest of tours would cost.  On top of that the citizens of Amsterdam, one of the prime departure cities, are getting damned tired of the influx of tourists who are overcrowding their gentle city.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on June 23, 2019, 05:02:51 AM
My lovely wife has been hounding me to "take a trip"  Her idea of a trip is to book into one of the touristy River boats that ply the Rhine, Seine, or some other European river. To be sure the view of some of the magnificent old castles would be interesting but not if I have to be confined in an inescapable boat with hundreds of other annoying "rubber neck" tourists.

I am perfectly comfortable with strangers but I do not want to be forced to live with them for eight, ten, fifteen days while we on our way to Belgrade or some other destination.

Goddammit I don't want to do that just on general principles.   Not to mention the ten grand or more that even the most modest of tours would cost.  On top of that the citizens of Amsterdam, one of the prime departure cities, are getting damned tired of the influx of tourists who are overcrowding their gentle city.

Icarus, you should consider listening to your wife; I think you will have an unforgettable experience. I've done the Rhine river twice (once by river boat and once by train), the Danube once, the Seine a few times. Sartre was right: the other people are hell, but it is still worth putting up with them. I agree with what you say about Amsterdam, and same applies to Paris, but don't forget the other smaller towns in Holland and France that are calmer and worth visiting. Another trip I enjoyed very much, and one that may appeal more to you, was an Eastern Mediterranean cruise on one of the Royal Caribbean liners.
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Thanks for the encouragement Hermes.  I will be careful to keep my wife from reading your reply.  In fact she has been on some of those river cruises in Europe. She has also been to China for a novel vacation, explored the Maritimes of Canada, also  Japan as well as the Central Americas.  I did not go on any of those junkets. She usually goes with a gaggle of geese called "tour Groups".

Truth to tell I already live in a huge country with so many things to see and do that it would use a lifetime to take it all in. We have at least 60 national parks, some of them are mind bending spectacular.

I have been to a few of them.  Sequoia National Park has the largest tree on earth and has a lot of brothers and sister trees who are also unbelievably large. Walking around in the interior of that place almost makes us want to believe in God.  Awesome is an insufficient word to describe such places.

A few thousand years ago a mountain called Mazuma blew up in some kind of geo-thermal event. Mazuma was 12,000 feet tall. When it separated the top part of itself and blew into the sky. A massive crater some 2000 feet deep was left .  The missing peak returned to land in almost the center of the colossal crater.  Snow melt filled the crater and it became a lake, the deepest lake in the US at 1943 feet.  That site became Crater Lake National Park. The mountain top is sticking up from the water surface. There are 90 miles of hiking trails that surround the lake and its vicinity. Only maniacs hike there because it is cold as a bears ass year round.  Cold but spectacular.  I visited that site in winter, the place was deserted because of the unfriendly weather.  Sure as hell a Japanese couple wandered by and asked me to use their camera to take their picture with the crater as backdrop.  Happy Japanese tourists turn up everywhere it would seem.

Yellowstone National Park is a worrisome place. Beautiful but scary with all the geysers and caldera and cauldrons of bubbling mud pits. Yellowstone lies over an enormous geo thermal fault that could explode at any time.  If that happens the explosion will wipe out earth much like the long ago asteroid event off the Yucatan Peninsula.

Mammoth cave is the longest known cave on earth. It has been explored for 400 miles.  The main caverns are stadium sized. That's a helluva hole under the ground. Not my cup of tea but spectacular in any sense of the word.

Those and our other national parks are natural phenomena and nary a castle or temple is to be found. 

Dark Lightning

I've camped in the Sequoias, and visited Crater Lake. Beautiful places. We went into the ground at Carlsbad Caverns about 7 YA. I haven't been to Mammoth Cave or Yellowstone, though. Once both of my feet have been surgically altered to allow me to walk well again, the wife and I are going to start burning our children's inheritance. That's their punishment for not spawning some grandchildren for us...as if we needed an excuse.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Dark Lightning on June 24, 2019, 02:34:48 PM
I've camped in the Sequoias, and visited Crater Lake. Beautiful places. We went into the ground at Carlsbad Caverns about 7 YA. I haven't been to Mammoth Cave or Yellowstone, though. Once both of my feet have been surgically altered to allow me to walk well again, the wife and I are going to start burning our children's inheritance. That's their punishment for not spawning some grandchildren for us...as if we needed an excuse.

Yellowstone is a MUST see.  Weirdest place in the world, and one of the most beautiful.

Dark Lightning

I'll have to schedule that. There is a lot of the US that I haven't seen, yet. I'll cover that before I go to any foreign countries.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Tank on June 22, 2019, 09:19:52 AM
My eldest daughter (bless her) is attempting to organise a family holiday for me and my wife for our joint 60th birthday. I do not take well to being organised!  >:(

I think you'll enjoy it if you just go with the flow Chris. Our kids did the same for just the two of us for our joint 60th nearly 10 years ago; we went to New York for five nights. I must admit we did our own thing there but it was great to visit a place that we probably wouldn't have otherwise and being January and waking up v early because of jet lag, there were no queues and the weather was cold but sunny. As our 70ths approach, they asked us where we'd like to go and we've chosen the west country  as we've never seen much of Devon, or any of Cornwall or Somerset. I hope you go and that you really enjoy it. Happy 60th.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on June 22, 2019, 09:19:52 AM

Ha!  ;D I get ya Tank, I also don't like to be micromanaged. But I'm certain your daughter has the best of intentions, so just sit back and let her organise an awesome trip for you and your wife!

:hammock:

I wish I could organise a much needed holiday for my mother...maybe she'd even take me with her. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey