News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Hi ya'll!

Started by Zyva, January 21, 2010, 05:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zyva

I just want to say up front, to avoid any confusion, that I'm not an atheist, at least not yet. :D
I grew up and had children, my boys are 17 and 20, and I didn't think too much more about it.
A couple of years ago, some things came up, and I started researching the bible. I wanted to know everything about it, who wrote it, when, what did they write, and what was going on in the world when they wrote it, what agenda the authors had, etc. etc.
I was absolutely amazed at what I found! It turns out that it's just a book, nothing more. Superstition has given it a power that it doesn't deserve and that power can be dangerous.
Which led me here, in a round about sorta way.
I certainly hope y'all don't mind me barging in, but I've spent a while reading this forum and I like it here.

AlP

Hi Zyva. Congratulations on actually reading the Bible! The more Christians that actually read the Bible, the more atheists there will be. ;)

I hope you enjoy your time here.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Whitney

hi Zyva, welcome to haf.

We like all types here (well, we don't like preachers but I don't think you are one of them) but other than preachers we are pretty accepting :)

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

Zyva

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!!!!

AIP,    I've read all of the different versions of the Bible as well, or at least all of the ones printed in English, also the Qu'ran, the Talmud, the Vedas, Tao Te Ching, etc. etc. like I said before, I wanted to know everything. I'm sure that I missed a few holy books along the way,  but my interest sort of petered out after a while. :D  

I don't think that reading the bible turns people away from Christianity, because most Christians just read it blindly anyway. It seems to me, that when people start asking themselves questions about the bible (or any other holy book for that matter), and then search for realistic answers to those questions, is when they realize something's not right.

karadan

Hello and welcome Zyva. Please, barge on in!  :D
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

patience

Hello,
I am Sam.
I am new here. I would like to say hello to all the members of the forums.
Hope have a good time ahead with you all.
Thanks