News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Introduction

Started by zoidzen, January 10, 2008, 05:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoidzen

Greetings all;
   This is my first time here taking a look at what people are talking about related to god, religion, science, cosmology, etc.
   Usually when someone asks me if I believe in god I ask them what they mean by the word.  It's always interesting to hear how people describe it.
When the term "higher power" comes up I have sometimes pinched some skin on my hand and talked about the little living things that make up who and what I am (blood cells, etc.) and how these are part of my "higher power" and the amazing qualities of life and the universe, etc.  This higher power thing is often meant to mean something bigger and overlording or something like this and the little things, like atoms for example, are sometimes considered literally to be beneath us.
   I recently posted a little blurb on Craigslist about being atheist, not "An Atheist" and a response I got back was something about how there would be no atheists if there was no god.   I actually hope that in the future there is no use for the term atheist when it is common and accepted more widely to not have a diety belief system.  
   Thanks
   zoidzen of cosmologyawakening.com

Will

Welcome...
 ...and there are atheists and there isn't a god. Go figure.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, zoidzen.

Any relation.....?

SteveS

Hey zoidzen - welcome aboard!

McQ

Welcome!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

rlrose328

Welcome aboard, zoidzen!  glad to have you on board!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Whitney

welcome to the forum, zoidzen......I'm not sure what idiot proselytizer came up with the phrase "if there wasn't a god there would be no atheists" and the various versions of that phrase...but somehow it stuck.  Just one example out of many which shows how religion is something people aren't willing to apply critical thought to.