News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

The meaning of life!

Started by tacoma_kyle, July 09, 2007, 09:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacoma_kyle

Ok. So whats everyone's view on the far too old of a question: Whats the meaning of life?

My views:

There is no meaning of life. But...I do feel there is a 'intention' of life. For some strange reason, it seems every organism has one goal out there: to live. Why hell I dunno. For some reason there is always a motivator, for many animals sex...as you likely know many mates of any sort of creature do not even stay together. They just fuck and leave (or or mate or whatever), for whatever reason (maybe often times for the pleasure...certianely prominent in people and some others).

Thats leads me to believe they (bulk of organims) do not do it for the values of the more intelligent mammals that may stay together. Like many people obviously score to create offsping because of the personal values or however deep you want to get. Same with other mammals, some, and other more intelligent species (non-mammal). That can do with being on a different level of brain developement. But other than that it -seems- that the much greater percentage of male-female lifeforms mate and get done with it. No real care for new life. Come in season, the sexes sense it in each other, and its done.

So why? Yeah I already asked...I still dont know. So having said that, I often times think of 'life' as a sort of organism. Not really, but symbolically because of this everlasting and present drive that seems to be at the center of most if not all species'.

So...my conclusion (in sorta a humorous fashion that few would take seriously before any elaboration)... the intention of life is to fuck!

By the way I am obviously no packed with info on lifeforms, just all based off the info I picked up through the years.

What are your views on the meaning of life?
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

pjkeeley

'The meaning of life' has to be one of the most confusing and misintepreted phrases in the English language. I hate it!

Short answer: there is no meaning OF life, but there is meaning IN life.

pjkeeley

'The meaning of life' has to be one of the most confusing and misintepreted phrases in the English language. I hate it!

Short answer: there is no meaning OF life, but there is meaning IN life.

McQ

The meaning of life. Good topic. Good because it makes us think, and squirm, and get upset.

I think life simply is what it is. No particular "meaning" in the anthropomorphic way that we always seem to try to tag on to non-human things. No particular "meaning" at all. But there is "meaning" in life, as pjkeeley stated. At least for sentient beings like humans, who can come up with abstract concepts, such as "the meaning of life". Life means something to most of us because we can think about it. If you can't think about it, or be self-aware, it really has no meaning.

Sounds like a load of crap, doesn't it?  :lol:

To me, personally, the meaning of life is a Shelby GT, a really great girl named Sherri, a hammock, and unlimited replays on the Dragon's Lair game console.  :wink:

Oh, and making sure my DNA is passed along as much as possible!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Squid

The meaning of life is whatever the person living it wants or views it to be.

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "McQ"making sure my DNA is passed along as much as possible!
Passed along in what way?  On the side of a bus? - That's just gross.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

JustInterested

QuoteThe meaning of life is whatever the person living it wants or views it to be.
The problem is, what if someone thinks the meaning life is to molest children, kill the elderly or collect puffalumps?  I think most would agree that there are meanings that are wrong, hence the need for laws.  So the real question is, Is there a right unique meaning in life?  Is there such thing as right and wrong?  if so, who decides?  If not, why do we get sick at our stomach when we think of what we as humans consider horrible acts?  I

pjkeeley

Quote from: "JustInterested"
QuoteThe meaning of life is whatever the person living it wants or views it to be.
The problem is, what if someone thinks the meaning life is to molest children, kill the elderly or collect puffalumps?  I think most would agree that there are meanings that are wrong, hence the need for laws.  So the real question is, Is there a right unique meaning in life?  Is there such thing as right and wrong?  if so, who decides?  If not, why do we get sick at our stomach when we think of what we as humans consider horrible acts?  I
Yes, there is right and wrong. Who decides? We do. To use your example: the parents of the molested children decide, as does the family of the murdered elderly people.

Put simply, if you start harming people, people are going to start harming you back, sooner or later.

Squid

Quote from: "JustInterested"

Meaning is relative and subjective, there is no over-reaching essence of meaning if that's what you are searching for.  Right and wrong do exist however much of it is up for interpretation.  Some items are seen across cultural barriers which is simply a link to the origins of social groups of our ancestors and the interactions they had which led to a kind of unwitting artificial selection.