News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

"Atheist Songs are not All Necessarily About Believing/Disbelieving in God"

Started by AnimatedDirt, November 14, 2011, 05:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on November 14, 2011, 05:43:33 PM
Thank you Jesus.

More of the same?

EDIT: Thread spit - Tank

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

AnimatedDirt

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on November 14, 2011, 06:21:06 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 14, 2011, 05:49:05 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on November 14, 2011, 05:45:08 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 14, 2011, 05:43:33 PM
Thank you Jesus.

More of the same?
More of the same what?
Post another 'atheist' song...chances are it may serve as another example.

Christians have their hymns and pages,
Hava Nagila's for the Jews,
Baptists have the rock of ages,
Atheists just sing the blues.

Romantics play Claire de Lune,
Born agains sing He is risen,
But no one ever wrote a tune,
For godless existentialism.

For Atheists,
There's no good news,
They'll never sing a song of faith.

For atheists,
They have a rule,
The "he" is always lowercase.

Some folks sing a Bach cantata,
Lutherans get Christmas trees,
Atheist songs add up to nada,
But they do have Sundays free.

Pentecostalists sing they sing to heaven,
Coptics have the books of scrolls,
Numerologists can count to seven,
Atheists have rock and roll.

For Atheists,
There's no good news,
They'll never sing a song of Faith.

In their songs,
They have a rule,

Catholics dress up for Mass,
And listen to, Gregorian chants.

Atheists just take a pass,
Watch football in their underpants.

Atheists, Atheists, Atheists,
Don't have no songs!

--Steve Martin
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on November 14, 2011, 06:47:15 PM
Christians have their hymns and pages,
Hava Nagila's for the Jews,
Baptists have the rock of ages,
Atheists just sing the blues.

Romantics play Claire de Lune,
Born agains sing He is risen,
But no one ever wrote a tune,
For godless existentialism.

For Atheists,
There's no good news,
They'll never sing a song of faith.

For atheists,
They have a rule,

Some folks sing a Bach cantata,
Lutherans get Christmas trees,
Atheist songs add up to nada,
But they do have Sundays free.

Pentecostalists sing they sing to heaven,
Coptics have the books of scrolls,
Numerologists can count to seven,
Atheists have rock and roll.

For Atheists,
There's no good news,
They'll never sing a song of Faith.

In their songs,
They have a rule,

Catholics dress up for Mass,
And listen to, Gregorian chants.

Atheists just take a pass,

Atheists, Atheists, Atheists,
Don't have no songs!

--Steve Martin

Oh boy.  You picked a doosey!  Again this goes to show that Atheist songs
seem to sing about God more than anything else.

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on November 14, 2011, 06:56:17 PMOh boy.  You picked a doosey!  Again this goes to show that Atheist songs
Care to demonstrate? I ask because I don't see how a song about how atheists don't have song, has anything to do with god.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on November 14, 2011, 06:58:37 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on November 14, 2011, 06:56:17 PMOh boy.  You picked a doosey!  Again this goes to show that Atheist songs
Care to demonstrate? I ask because I don't see how a song about how atheists don't have song, has anything to do with god.

I didn't demonstrate.  Simply read and YOU tell me what the topic(s) is.

The point is that 'Atheist' songs have nothing to sing about except God/religion.  The lesser point is that God is preached regardless whether the song is for or against.  God is so important apparently, even those that disbelieve in all gods, seem to only sing about One.  Not a whole lot of songs about the GSM out there is there?  And if there is, the spoof is a play on God and His works vs the GSM and his similar works...again singing to the importance of One God.

Doesn't that frustrate the Atheist that wants nothing to do with "God"?

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on November 14, 2011, 07:10:06 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 14, 2011, 06:58:37 PM

I didn't demonstrate.  Simply read and YOU tell me what the topic(s) is.
I just did, "[...]I don't see how a song about how atheists don't have song[...]"

The song "Judith", was about a person and not a god. Disgustipated was more about carrots than a god. The last one was a song about how atheists have no songs.

Quote from: AnimatedDirtThe point is that 'Atheist' songs have nothing to sing about except God/religion.  The lesser point is that God is preached regardless whether the song is for or against.  God is so important apparently, even those that disbelieve in all gods, seem to only sing about One.  Not a whole lot of songs about the GSM out there is there?  And if there is, the spoof is a play on God and His works vs the GSM and his similar works...again singing to the importance of One God.
Still, you really need to point out how a song that is about how atheists have no song, is really about god.

Quote from: AnimatedDirtDoesn't that frustrate the Atheist that wants nothing to do with "God"?
Doesn't what frustrate atheists? Do tell how a person who is say, frustrated with people thinking the Earth is flat, goes about expressing that frustration without mentioning that people think the Earth is flat? Likewise, the people that are frustrated with people that beleive in a god, are likely to have no reasonable course but to mention that there are people that believe in a god.

AnimatedDirt

Maybe I used the wrong words.  I didn't mean to imply that the songs are ABOUT God, but that the songs (for the most part) cannot be about anything else but the disbelief in God.  The Judith song has so much Christianity infused into it, I don't see how you can deny it or fathom how you can say it's about carrots.  The same is true of the Steve Martin song.

My issue is that when one looks back through this thread, while there might be a couple songs that have nothing to do with God or mention anything about God/bible/biblical beliefs/Christ/good news/... when anyone asks for 'Atheist Song' as this thread asks, most songs sing about God.  It matters not that the song is making fun of belief in God...God is still IN it.

What I'd like to see is that when HAF members, mostly Atheists, ask for Atheist Songs, they are given true songs about Atheism.  I know the word itself implies God, but the belief or definition is that God does not exist so why infuse the fairytale, if you will, into songs.  Can the Atheist never be totally separated from the notion of God?  Can the free thinker not think of anything other to sing than about God?

Why does the Atheist not sing about what they DO BELIEVE rather than how silly Christians are in what they believe?  Why is there not enough passion to sing about what IS proven?  Why is it the more intelligent person can only have lyrics like, "The 'he' is always lowercase." when that is not the truth at all!?  In the sentence, "He is Atheist." the 'he' is capitalized and it has nothing to do with God.

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on November 14, 2011, 07:56:14 PM
Why does the Atheist not sing about what they DO BELIEVE
In its strict definition Atheism is not a belief. It is lack of belief.

You could losely classity any non religious song as an Atheist song, which would be the majority of them.
The purpose of this thread was to highlight songs that express a disbeleif in gods.

Davin

Maybe I used the wrong words.  I didn't mean to imply that the songs are ABOUT God, but that the songs (for the most part) cannot be about anything else but the disbelief in God.  The Judith song has so much Christianity infused into it, I don't see how you can deny it or fathom how you can say it's about carrots.  The same is true of the Steve Martin song.
Or, technically, any song that doesn't mention a god, faith in a god or a religion is also an atheist song. I never said the song "Judith" is about carrots, I said the song Disgustipated was about carrots... because it is.

Quote from: AnimatedDirtMy issue is that when one looks back through this thread, while there might be a couple songs that have nothing to do with God or mention anything about God/bible/biblical beliefs/Christ/good news/... when anyone asks for 'Atheist Song' as this thread asks, most songs sing about God.  It matters not that the song is making fun of belief in God...God is still IN it.

What I'd like to see is that when HAF members, mostly Atheists, ask for Atheist Songs, they are given true songs about Atheism.  I know the word itself implies God, but the belief or definition is that God does not exist so why infuse the fairytale, if you will, into songs.  Can the Atheist never be totally separated from the notion of God?  Can the free thinker not think of anything other to sing than about God?
So long as there are theists, atheist will be a useful term. I for one would love to see the day when the word "atheist" is as useless as "aunicornist". But until many religious people stop trying to impose their beliefs on other people, people are going to get pissed off about it and express themselves about it. You seem to be implying that we should just take the unwanted pressures of religious people silently.

Quote from: AnimatedDirtWhy does the Atheist not sing about what they DO BELIEVE rather than how silly Christians are in what they believe?  Why is there not enough passion to sing about what IS proven?  Why is it the more intelligent person can only have lyrics like, "The 'he' is always lowercase." when that is not the truth at all!?  In the sentence, "He is Atheist." the 'he' is capitalized and it has nothing to do with God.
Many atheists do sing about what they believe. Given that singing about a theist does necessarily mean that the person is singin about a god. Do you have the ability to distinguish between a god and a person who believes in a god?

If an admin feels so inclined, please move from post #33 and on into a new thread in this same forum entitled: "Atheist Songs are not All Necessarily About Believing/Disbelieving in God"

EDIT: Done - Tank

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on November 14, 2011, 08:05:04 PM
Why does the Atheist not sing about what they DO BELIEVE
In its strict definition Atheism is not a belief. It is lack of belief.

You could losely classity any non religious song as an Atheist song, which would be the majority of them.
The purpose of this thread was to highlight songs that express a disbeleif in gods.

My question is:  If Atheism is correct, what is the point of "Atheist Song"?  Where is the intelligence in singing about the disbelief in the non-existent?  Why not better or more intelligently sing about that which IS believed?  Is not the consensus of Atheism that Christians are stupid?  Why keep 'preaching' stupid ideas as such and not better INFORM on the intelligent ideas instead?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on November 14, 2011, 08:09:21 PM
You seem to be implying that we should just take the unwanted pressures of religious people silently.

No!  Not at all.  I support the Atheist to sing about whatever they want to sing about.  My question is why do the most part of "Atheist Songs" have the stupid notion of God in them?  Why not sing about what makes an Atheist an Atheist.  Why sing about fairytales?  Why keep harping on the same issue?  Wouldn't the more evolved and intelligent person move on from the useless and move toward what is more useful?  Is it more useful to simply say, "God does not exist." or is it more useful to give the evidence of that stance?

Edit:  Uh...whoops.  New thread created while I was posting this. 

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on November 14, 2011, 08:14:55 PM
My question is:  If Atheism is correct, what is the point of "Atheist Song"?  Where is the intelligence in singing about the disbelief in the non-existent?
People write songs, often with vocal melodies.
They hence have a need to put words into the songs.
Sometimes they express themselves, e.g their feelings, their own beliefs or disbeliefs.

Singing about a disbelief is a very valid topic, especially when there is a segment of society that wants to recruit people into their beliefs and wants laws reflecting their beliefs. We need to oppose this and we need to show people that there are people out there that lack these beliefs and that it is a valid path to go down.