News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

A Word for the Day

Started by Recusant, November 08, 2015, 08:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on August 12, 2018, 11:29:39 PM
Really, I've never heard a recording that does justice to hearing them in person. I've got a practice chanter, but that isn't nearly as impressive as an actual set of bagpipes. It's been a dream since childhood to have a set, but they're rather expensive.

I like bagpipes, the sound they make is...interesting. :grin: Do you know how to play them?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

I can coax a tune out of a practice chanter, but that isn't the same as playing the pipes.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on August 12, 2018, 11:29:39 PM
Really, I've never heard a recording that does justice to hearing them in person. I've got a practice chanter, but that isn't nearly as impressive as an actual set of bagpipes. It's been a dream since childhood to have a set, but they're rather expensive.

How much do they cost?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

I paid the piper on Lindisfarne £20 to go and have lunch when I was there. Bloody racket!  >:(
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on August 13, 2018, 09:51:12 AMHow much do they cost?

An "inexpensive" set using plastic rather than wood for the pipes comes to a bit over £700. A proper set could run to between about £1200 to a couple thousand pounds. Of course if you shop around and get something made in Pakistan or whatever, it would be possible to undercut those prices.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on August 13, 2018, 02:48:47 PM

An "inexpensive" set using plastic rather than wood for the pipes comes to a bit over £700 with VAT, excluding shipping. A proper set could run to a couple thousand pounds.

I trust the bag is no longer a bladder or stomach or anything else organic!

Hey, must be a market here for a kids' version using a balloon! Another way to drive adults mad!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

An "inexpensive" set using plastic rather than wood for the pipes comes to a bit over £700. A proper set could run to between about £1200 to a couple thousand pounds. Of course if you shop around and get something made in Pakistan or whatever, it would be possible to undercut those prices.

I suppose it is hand made item with a limited market. But as you say not a trivial purchase.

joeactor

Quote from: Tank on August 13, 2018, 04:24:03 PM

I suppose it is hand made item with a limited market. But as you say not a trivial purchase.

There's a bagpiper who plays at one of the parks where we hike. He's very good. Still not a huge fan of the music...

Dave

I must admit that a full pipe and drum band can be moving - in the right place at the right time!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

^ not a suitable cup for church groups or mixed company of the gentile variety.   :faints:

(I would like one of those cups, alas. )

Bluenose

That cup pretty well summarises most of the things people write that really bug me.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 06, 2018, 03:47:53 AM

I've tried to find this translation. Where did you get it? I think it's funny as hell, but can't find the translation.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Fireball on September 06, 2018, 04:00:53 AM
I've tried to find this translation. Where did you get it? I think it's funny as hell, but can't find the translation.

It showed up on my FB feed.

QuoteThe etymology of Cerberus' name is uncertain. Ogden[136] refers to attempts to establish an Indo-European etymology as "not yet successful". It has been claimed to be related to the Sanskrit word सर्वरा sarvarā, used as an epithet of one of the dogs of Yama, from a Proto-Indo-European word *k̑érberos, meaning "spotted".[137] Lincoln (1991),[138] among others, critiques this etymology. Lincoln notes a similarity between Cerberus and the Norse mythological dog Garmr, relating both names to a Proto-Indo-European root *ger- "to growl" (perhaps with the suffixes -*m/*b and -*r). However, as Ogden observes, this analysis actually requires Kerberos and Garmr to be derived from two different Indo-European roots (*ker- and *gher- respectively), and so does not actually establish a relationship between the two names.

Though probably not Greek, Greek etymologies for Cerberus have been offered. An etymology given by Servius (the late-fourth-century commentator on Virgil)—but rejected by Ogden—derives Cerberus from the Greek word creoboros meaning "flesh-devouring".[139] Another suggested etymology derives Cerberus from "Ker berethrou", meaning "evil of the pit".[140]

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Cerberus

Apparently, the origin of Cerebrus' name is not at all certain. It would be funny as hell if it were 'Spot' or 'Spotted', though!