News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Started by Tom62, July 24, 2006, 04:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean Prime

court, yes, I agree with you on the rape thing.

As regards abortion due to lack of effective contraception, I've read many a testimony from mothers who had abortions early in life, only to regret it later, and find that their actions haunted them all their lives.  I am not a woman, or a mother, but I just hope to advise people (women) on the best course of their lives which will not leave a bitter taste in their mouths later on in life.

Maybe only hindsight will be the best teacher, I don't know.  I'm just trying to help people avoid such  diffficulties and questions of conscience later in life.   After all, these are mainly young 'mothers' who find themselves in this position not of their own making or intent, but still have the burden of living with their actions.  these are children, after all, that we are talking about.

Court

Quote from: "onlyme"court, yes, I agree with you on the rape thing.

As regards abortion due to lack of effective contraception, I've read many a testimony from mothers who had abortions early in life, only to regret it later, and find that their actions haunted them all their lives.  I am not a woman, or a mother, but I just hope to advise people (women) on the best course of their lives which will not leave a bitter taste in their mouths later on in life.

I'm not talking about "lack of effective contraception". I'm talking about being the .1% where it simply failed, by no fault of the couple. I'm sure you could find (if you honestly felt like looking) just as many stories from women who are glad they had abortions at a young age. I am simply too young to get pregnant, go through the physical and emotional turmoil of pregnancy and giving up a baby for adoption, and then continue with my relationship with my boyfriend. I know it would rip us apart, and it isn't worth it.
My stepsister got pregnant at the age of 18. She had the baby, planned to give it up for adoption, but it died shortly after birth. She was planning on going to college, but, and mainly because of depression after the birth, she is now doing drugs again and living in a crappy apartment with no job and no money. She did drugs before she got pregnant, but quit. We all knew she was emotionally unstable, and had my parents not been so christian, I would have advised her to have an abortion. In "hindsight", as you like to say, it would have been better for her, and probably the baby, as well.

Quote from: "onlyme"Maybe only hindsight will be the best teacher, I don't know.  I'm just trying to help people avoid such  diffficulties and questions of conscience later in life.   After all, these are mainly young 'mothers' who find themselves in this position not of their own making or intent, but still have the burden of living with their actions.  these are children, after all, that we are talking about.

I don't agree. These are not children if you make the decision early enough. They're embryos, maybe fetuses. Either way, they should not have the same rights as a breathing, thinking human being.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Big Mac

I thought scientifically to be living you had to be able to survive on your own as an enclosed being. Not to sound like a dick (which I normally intend to) but technically a fetus is a kind of parasite. It's cold, yes, but it's technically the truth.

I don't think any sane woman enjoys having an abortion, it's not something to break out the cigars and beer about and celebrate. But it's a life decision some women have to make. I definately would not like to ponder what could be and what won't be.

Court, I know how you feel regarding onlyme but I also see that he has his beliefs and that's his business. I highly disagree with almost all of them (especially abortion, gay rights, sexism, etc. in the bible).
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Court

Quote from: "Big Mac"I thought scientifically to be living you had to be able to survive on your own as an enclosed being. Not to sound like a dick (which I normally intend to) but technically a fetus is a kind of parasite. It's cold, yes, but it's technically the truth.

I agree with this position, although I think that women shouldn't have abortions after a fetus's brain has developed (except for medical reasons). However, I respect that even that isn't my decision to make, it's the woman's.

Quote from: "Big Mac"I don't think any sane woman enjoys having an abortion, it's not something to break out the cigars and beer about and celebrate. But it's a life decision some women have to make. I definately would not like to ponder what could be and what won't be.

Big M has a point. I know that I would probably be a bit of a mess if I were to have an abortion. It's not easy on anyone, emotionally or physically. But, for some people (especially young women), it is probably less physically and emotionally scarring than getting pregnant and giving up the baby for adoption or raising it at an unfit age.

Quote from: "Big Mac"Court, I know how you feel regarding onlyme but I also see that he has his beliefs and that's his business. I highly disagree with almost all of them (especially abortion, gay rights, sexism, etc. in the bible).

*Sigh* I know, I know. His small-mindedness just frustrates me. And there are so many people I know just like him! I feel like I'm fighting them all. :)
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Big Mac

I know, I dealt with the same thing, probably worse than you. I grew up in South Texas! Though Dallas is the home of Tilton....the flatulent preacher.

There are some women I give great credit to, I forget which mother it was but she was told if she gave birth to her child she would die. She went ahead anyway and sacrificed her life for her daugther. That lady had some brass ones clanging.

Onlyme is really trying to be a civil person. He's much better than some redneck who says, "I don't likes none of dem queers in my trailer park because they has dah AIDS!" or some other retarded shit. He's trying to show us the "light", only problem is its infrared. :D

Court

I know he's trying to be civil. But he can be so smug!
I'm trying, too. :)
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Big Mac

Eh, when you are that convicted to your beliefs, it's a natural tendency. I know quite a few atheists who are not immune to this smugness. That and Hybrid-drivers.