News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

"Energy Balancing" Bracelets Trick

Started by Sophus, July 12, 2010, 09:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Somebody tried to sell me one of those "scientific" bracelets like this. They did the whole balancing/strength trick on me similar to those in this video. I stood on one leg with both arms out and she put her weight on the arm above my raised leg. Without the bracelet I lose my balance of course but with it I must be Hercules because lo and behold I didn't fall.  lol
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

joeactor

I'd chalk it up to the power of suggestion:
[youtube:afggg8om]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_MzP2MZaOo[/youtube:afggg8om]

Never underestimate the immense power of the human mind.
We are all capable of some astounding stuff, and belief is a large part of it.

But wait!

There's more!

Act now and we'll Align Your Chakrahs ABSOLUTELY FREE!

But that's not all...

For the cost of a postage stamp, you too can become a MONEY MAGNET!
(shipping and handling not included)

And only on this one-time, super-special, just-for-you, TV offer, we'll include the amazing tool that's been sold all over Europe and the Netherlands... AT NO COST TO YOU!

(ramble, complete),
JoeActor

Squid

If I remember correctly, this is a combination of factors at play in these demonstrations and none of them have to do with the bracelet.

1) The demonstrator applies less force, supinates the wrist slightly to change actual angle of pull or the like.

2) They do it without the bracelet first then do it with the bracelet - the same move essentially.  The first pull primes the person for the subsequent action where they will naturally resist more to maintain balance - almost like a psychological vestibular maintaining reflex.  Therefore, the person is expecting the pull and will provide more resistance than they did intitially.

3) The possibility of submission to authority.  The demonstrator acts as an authority figure therefore the person is more apt to believe what the demonstrator says about the ability of the bracelet and therefore the person will essentially act accordingly - applying more resistance when the bracelet is on.  Sort of like a placebo effect.

I will note that without any controlled experimentation on this bracelet thing this is merely my educated guess.

SSY

In that video, the pulls are noticeably different, when he wants them to fall, he pulls outwards at the same time, not to mention the fact, he is much bigger than most of the people tested, if he wanted them to fall, all he would have to do is pull harder. It's a shame people fall for this stuff. When the same people telling you how great something is, are the same people who stand to make money from selling it, I think it warrants closer investigation.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

McQ

Ditto, ditto, ditto to the above. And shame on the people marketing that shit. No conscience, whatsoever.

I'd have a field day with one of those assholes in a mall, just like I did when someone tried to sell me magnetic inserts for my shoes in the mall once.   :twak:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

karadan

Quote from: "McQ"Ditto, ditto, ditto to the above. And shame on the people marketing that shit. No conscience, whatsoever.

I'd have a field day with one of those assholes in a mall, just like I did when someone tried to sell me magnetic inserts for my shoes in the mall once.   :pop:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Sophus

Quote from: "Squid"2) They do it without the bracelet first then do it with the bracelet - the same move essentially.  The first pull primes the person for the subsequent action where they will naturally resist more to maintain balance - almost like a psychological vestibular maintaining reflex.  Therefore, the person is expecting the pull and will provide more resistance than they did intitially.

This makes sense. By giving the person no warning on the first try they'll almost surely lose their balance. The next time, not only do they know what's coming, but the seller puts the braclet on you and asks when you're ready. Sneaky, sneaky.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Tank

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Squid"2) They do it without the bracelet first then do it with the bracelet - the same move essentially.  The first pull primes the person for the subsequent action where they will naturally resist more to maintain balance - almost like a psychological vestibular maintaining reflex.  Therefore, the person is expecting the pull and will provide more resistance than they did intitially.

This makes sense. By giving the person no warning on the first try they'll almost surely lose their balance. The next time, not only do they know what's coming, but the seller puts the braclet on you and asks when you're ready. Sneaky, sneaky.
Don't you just love these flim-flam merchants  :shake:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.