Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Bluenose on September 06, 2018, 01:12:26 PM
Quote from: Icarus on September 06, 2018, 03:22:48 AM
Bluenose recipe is faulty.  He says a nip of rum.  Perhaps Strine has a different meaning for the word nip.  In my mind a nip is only a wee bit.  And why dilute perfectly good booze with water?  Such a medicinal should have at least 100 ml of good quality rum.

A nip is a standard 30 ml shot of spirit.  I can't help it if you Pommies don't even know your own language!  ;)  :D

Oh, and Tank is quite right.  I wouldn't use good drinking rum, any available cheap rum will do, after all you're going to add honey and lemon.  Over here I'd go for Bundaberg rum, which I normally have on hand for cooking purposes, but is also OK mixed with Coke, which I would never do with one of my favourite rums.  Think of it as the Johnny Walker Red Label of rums..

Oops, neither Icarus nor Bluenose are Pommies, Silver. I am a Pommie, or Pom.

But, that raises the question as yo whether Australia, always independent language-wise, has a  name for Americans other than the usual "Yank".
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 06, 2018, 02:00:36 PM

Yes, I know. ;)

I got to ask, though...if two poms are together does it make them a pompom?

:worried:

Ok, bad joke, moving on...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

:picard facepalm:
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 06, 2018, 02:21:21 PM

Yes, I know. ;)

I got to ask, though...if two poms are together does it make them a pompom?

:worried:

Ok, bad joke, moving on...

Bluenose

Quote from: Bluenose on September 06, 2018, 01:12:26 PM
Quote from: Icarus on September 06, 2018, 03:22:48 AM
Bluenose recipe is faulty.  He says a nip of rum.  Perhaps Strine has a different meaning for the word nip.  In my mind a nip is only a wee bit.  And why dilute perfectly good booze with water?  Such a medicinal should have at least 100 ml of good quality rum.

A nip is a standard 30 ml shot of spirit.  I can't help it if you Pommies don't even know your own language!  ;)  :D

Oh, and Tank is quite right.  I wouldn't use good drinking rum, any available cheap rum will do, after all you're going to add honey and lemon.  Over here I'd go for Bundaberg rum, which I normally have on hand for cooking purposes, but is also OK mixed with Coke, which I would never do with one of my favourite rums.  Think of it as the Johnny Walker Red Label of rums..

But, that raises the question as yo whether Australia, always independent language-wise, has a  name for Americans other than the usual "Yank".

You're not letting one minor detail like that get in the way of a good joke, are you, Dave?

Generally Aussies call Americans Yanks.  However, in the RAN we generally referred to Americans a Goddams, an allusion to a perceived lack of imagination in their use of profanity.   Oh, and older Australians sometimes refer to Americans as septics or even seppos, but this has fallen from common use. (It's rhyming slang for Yank)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Well, my washing the internals of my blender seems to have worked! No fizzes or pops when I connected the power and it whizzes water quite merrily.

Am thinking of applying silicon sealant around the edge of the non-rotating plate under the drive dog, then any leaks will be contained in that space.

jumbojak

The ferry is open! That means I don't have to add an extra hour to my commute.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Sandra Craft

Quote from: jumbojak on September 13, 2018, 12:27:44 PM
The ferry is open! That means I don't have to add an extra hour to my commute.

Excellent.  Besides which, ferry!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

My new furniture is all set up! I've been putting things away, but needed a break. It is approaching 2:30 pm. I realized just a few minutes ago that I've had neither breakfast or lunch. Time to eat before I try to move more stuff!
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on September 15, 2018, 08:19:38 PM
My new furniture is all set up! I've been putting things away, but needed a break. It is approaching 2:30 pm. I realized just a few minutes ago that I've had neither breakfast or lunch. Time to eat before I try to move more stuff!

Hurrah!  Looking forward to seeing what you've done.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

Quote from: Sandra Craft on September 15, 2018, 09:43:13 PM
Quote from: Velma on September 15, 2018, 08:19:38 PM

Hurrah!  Looking forward to seeing what you've done.
Believe it or not, everything is back in the bedroom. We've just got to put up some hooks and make the bed. I did not want to put the clean sheets on the bed while I was still moving boxes in and out of the room since the bed was the perfect place to put the boxes while I emptied them.

The two delivery guys had everything moved in and set up in less than an hour. They even called the furniture store's customer service line before they left so I could let them know if there had been any problems during the delivery. We tipped them $25 (US) each.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Velma

These were taken with my cell phone since I could not find the charging cable for my real camera.

Nightstand. The things hanging from the knob are two small Bluetooth speakers. The stack of things on the right hand corner is two magazines, two ereaders, and a tablet.

Dresser. I was holding the phone crooked. I'm surprised I can still stand up after a night of almost no sleep, then all the physical labor I did today. Yes, those are all jewelry boxes.

Chest of drawers. Yes, that is a Tardis Bluetooth speaker up there. :D

The bed. It also has two large storage drawers in the footboard, but I could not get a good picture of them.

The next two items are things I put on the wall today. The first is large nightlight that you can turn off/on with a remote. It is about the size of a dinner plate. The other item is a slight twist on a classic clock. My Kit-Cat Clock has pearls instead of a bow tie.

jumbojak

The furniture looks good Velma. You need a few more outlets though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Nice stuff, Velma. I am especially envious of your night-light! But is it flat or half or full globe? Seems to cast a shadow.

Tank

Love it all and in particular the Dr Who bedding!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.