News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

The light rain helped a lot. Added a bit of shine to the full patina they were cultivating on that truck.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on August 06, 2019, 03:41:25 PM
The light rain helped a lot. Added a bit of shine to the full patina they were cultivating on that truck.

As you say lovely textures.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

I steamed some red cabbage in a stainless steel pot last night . When I drained off the water, I saw that it was an intense dark purple-blue.

This morning I filtered the cold water through a coffee filter paper and tried adding some chemicals I have in the kitchen. I found that the cabbage pigment behaved like a pH indicator, as shown in the next photo. I had to dilute the solutions to show the colours more clearly.

The first glass on the left is the filtered water from pot. It turned yellow-green after addition of some sodium hydroxide, which raised to the pH above 7. This is in the second glass. The third lovely blue colour is obtained at a pH lower than the second, but still above 7, by adding some sodium bicarbonate. The last, beautiful red solution, is after taking the pH below 7 by adding some vinegar.

The exact pH values are not known to me, because I don't own a pH meter. I never cook in aluminium pots; it would be interesting to see whether cooking in Al has an effect on the colour.

This would be a fun experiment to do with your HAF kids.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Excellent ingenuity, chemistry and photography.

I too wonder if the aluminium pans would make a difference. On first thought I would expect the oxide coating on the aluminium would prevent any of the aluminium getting into the solution.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on August 25, 2019, 07:25:33 AM
Excellent ingenuity, chemistry and photography.

I too wonder if the aluminium pans would make a difference. On first thought I would expect the oxide coating on the aluminium would prevent any of the aluminium getting into the solution.

Thank you. I think the acidity of the food will determine how much Al goes into solution. This must have been studied by food scientists somewhere. Aluminium can form complexes, which is why I think it may affect the colour.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Harewood Hill Climb today. First time I have been an great fun. The 128 car features as it is built and driven by Richard my ex-boss.

Icarus

Dammit Tank you spoiled that series pix of "Limey crocks" by including that evil German Porsche.  Explanation: The term Limey Crock is an old New England area  reference that includes a certain degree of admiration.

In addition I might add that the Brits are bat shit crazy for racing the side hack rigs. The passenger is particularly nuts because, when cornering, he hangs outside the hack with his head nearly touching the road surface.....at speed. 

jumbojak

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on August 29, 2019, 02:25:33 PM

Wow!  :tellmemore:
Reminds me of this:

QuoteForrest: And then in the desert, when the sun comes up, I couldn't tell where heavens stopped and the earth began. It was so beautiful.
Jenny : I wish I could have been there with you.
Forrest : You were.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

That was a boat of some sort. The long exposure exaggerated it a bit.

Magdalena

Tank