News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

'Indecent' Jesus action discontinued.

Started by karadan, November 11, 2008, 12:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7720587.stm

I remember going to the Tate modern a few years back. In one room there was a display which was basically a tv screen showing some looped footage. The footage was of a guy wearing a pig mask and boxing gloves. He had no other clothes on and was masturbating furiously. I think he ejaculated. That offended me. The reason i was offended, though, was the fact that there was no warning about this piece of 'art' before going into the room. There were school kids walking by for goodness sake!

Anyway, as far as i know, the 'artist' was being deliberately provocative. That was his thing. That was his art, if you will. I don't remember anything happening about it. It certainly didn't hit the news. I find it funny that a statue could enrage someone enough to try to take it to court when there are far more provocative pieces of art out there which people can gloss over. Now, had the guy been wearing a jesus mask instead of a pig mask, the display would have been vandalised immediately and some kind of court case would have happened, i'm sure.

I guess that is the beauty of art. You can do what the hell you want and people will still talk about it. Even though i think most modern art is utter crap and that it is the artists joke on the people who croon and pander to them, still doesn't give me the right to say it should be taken down. I should just turn away and not look at it.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

MariaEvri

last year in athens there was an exhibition and one o the artists did a somewhat offensive piece about the cross. I dont know what it was, I never saw it, but the peope rallied against the art and they were all over the news. In the end, the work was removed from the exhibition
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

curiosityandthecat

Some people have no sense of culture. What's wrong with indecent pictures of Jesus? Here's the one in question:

And, just for fun, some more!

(Serrano's 1987 photograph "Piss Christ")

(This one's made of chocolate!)

[spoiler:1nwzrif1][/spoiler:1nwzrif1]
(The obligatory Jesus dildo.)

This is what some BBC historians suggest he looked like.

And this is what Flavius said he looked like.

Just sayin'.  :) People need to lighten up.
-Curio

Titan

That BBC representation is probably close... Jesus would not have been physically attractive.
"Those who praise the light of fire, but blame it for its heat, should not be listened to, as they judge it according to their comfort or discomfort and not by its nature. They wish to see, but not to be burnt. They forget that this very light which pleases them so much is a discomfort to weak eyes and harms them..."
- St. Augustine

"The soul lives

Asmodean

Quote from: "Titan"That BBC representation is probably close... Jesus would not have been physically attractive.
I have yet to see anything resembling physical attractiveness in any depiction of Jesus.  :|
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Titan

Seriously? None of those depictions give you the idea of a physical appeal to people?
"Those who praise the light of fire, but blame it for its heat, should not be listened to, as they judge it according to their comfort or discomfort and not by its nature. They wish to see, but not to be burnt. They forget that this very light which pleases them so much is a discomfort to weak eyes and harms them..."
- St. Augustine

"The soul lives

Asmodean

Quote from: "Titan"Seriously? None of those depictions give you the idea of a physical appeal to people?
None. They would all need a ton of plastic surgery before having even the slightest chance of going out with me.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

rlrose328

The attractive ones are the ones that resemble Ted Nugent, in his Wango Tango days.  Yum.   ;)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!