News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Fun Science Videos

Started by Sandra Craft, December 01, 2015, 06:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Just for Hermes.

And Icarus.

And Essie.

And . . .

Well, OK then, the rest of you can watch if you like!   :grin:

I think Numberphile is great.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

^ Sensational demonstration......well not sensational to everyone. We math/physics/sciences nerds are turned on by such stuff.

One of my regrets about being so old is that there is so little time left to learn about all those fascinating things. 

OK I  will need to come back with something fun. Here is a young woman, who calls herself physics girl. She is completely charming in her own way.  She could relate to, and capture the interests of, high school kids because she makes science fun, even exciting.  There are numerous videos with this young woman. Here is one of them......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ut0F4a9dQk

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on July 15, 2017, 09:16:07 PM
Just for Hermes.

And Icarus.

And Essie.

And . . .

Thank you, Gloucester! I wonder why I find these things so fascinating. I would love to have some of those solids in my toy box.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 16, 2017, 05:27:24 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 15, 2017, 09:16:07 PM
Just for Hermes.

And Icarus.

And Essie.

And . . .

Thank you, Gloucester! I wonder why I find these things so fascinating. I would love to have some of those solids in my toy box.

Yeah, me too. Unfortunately they are sold out at Maths Gear and no word about future availability.

Dave

I think the fascination comes from a kind of disonance, a tension, between the intellectual understanding and an instinctive disbelief that such shapes can provide a smooth ride.

Think I might get a scooter and make some constant width wheels out of ply for it!

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on July 15, 2017, 10:24:07 PM
We math/physics/sciences nerds are turned on by such stuff.

One of my regrets about being so old is that there is so little time left to learn about all those fascinating things. 

Add art, music, architecture. Life is far too short.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on July 16, 2017, 05:46:37 AM
I think the fascination comes from a kind of disonance, a tension, between the intellectual understanding and an instinctive disbelief that such shapes can provide a smooth ride.

Think I might get a scooter and make some constant width wheels out of ply for it!

It would be interesting to make one of those solids as well.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 16, 2017, 05:59:42 AM

It would be interesting to make one of those solids as well.

Yeah, been trying to work out how - without a 3D ptinter.

hermes2015

Oops, no, that will not give a smooth ride, because the constant width wheels only function smoothly as rollers, but because their centres go up and down, they are not efficient as wheels. I only realized this when I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eUWT9cI23o.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 16, 2017, 11:07:29 AM

Oops, no, that will not give a smooth ride, because the constant width wheels only function smoothly as rollers, but because their centres go up and down, they are not efficient as wheels. I only realized this when I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eUWT9cI23o.

Oops, forgot that!

Hmm, would it be possible to make a hole in the middle that was the same shape, hole sides a constant dustance from the edge on that radius? Might need to be wide and have "cheek plates" either side. Though the wheel profile could be triangular with the "point" at the rim for ease of turning corners . . . 

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on July 16, 2017, 12:21:11 PM

Oops, forgot that!

Hmm, would it be possible to make a hole in the middle that was the same shape, hole sides a constant dustance from the edge on that radius? Might need to be wide and have "cheek plates" either side. Though the wheel profile could be triangular with the "point" at the rim for ease of turning corners . . .

It would be nice to do a software simulation of it. Or perhaps pencil and paper would be easier.

I was rummaging in some drawers today and found a Spirograph! Forgot I had that from a time when I had more had hair.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 16, 2017, 01:15:12 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 16, 2017, 12:21:11 PM

Oops, forgot that!

It would be nice to do a software simulation of it. Or perhaps pencil and paper would be easier.

I was rummaging in some drawers today and found a Spirograph! Forgot I had that from a time when I had more had hair.
Hmm, cardboard cut-out, pencil point as axle, running along a ruler, if it draws a straight and level line .  . Bit like in the video.

Lucky you on the Spirograph, I'm jealous!

Arturo

I think if my Dad wasn't so cynical to athiests and maybe a bit more of a critical thinker, he would really have a good time talking to you guys.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

^
^
Ordered a small Spirograph set - glad to see tgey are still around.

At the moment, after a not very restful night and fighting my way found the supermarket I feel too knackered to even work out how to draw the figure for the trial . . .

Dave

Arturo, it is a pity when belief reduces life's opportunities.