News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

UK EU referendum..

Started by Claireliontamer, February 20, 2016, 05:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

So, the date has been announced.  Prepare for non stop news about the EU between now and 23rd June 2016......

I've changed my mind so much on this issue.  Part of me feels like voting to leave just to go against Cameron and the way the EU dealt with the whole Greek crisis but then I can see the benefits to areas like science funding by staying in. 

Tank

It ain't perfect in it. But it would be worse out of it. Stay in is the least worse option.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

I was wondering how those of you in the UK feel about it. I have no idea how I'd feel were I in your position, considering how unwieldy the Union seems.

I'm guessing you'll never give up the Pound though :) I wouldn't
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on February 20, 2016, 07:14:34 PM
I was wondering how those of you in the UK feel about it. I have no idea how I'd feel were I in your position, considering how unwieldy the Union seems.

I'm guessing you'll never give up the Pound though :) I wouldn't
We didn't and I can't foresee a realistic situation where we would.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Siz

We all know what we're in for if we stay in. So I'm gonna vote 'out' just coz it'll be fun to see what happens. Internal policy is going to have a far greater impact on my day-to-day life. Let's hold our noses and jump - what's the worst that could happen?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Quote from: Siz on February 20, 2016, 09:29:33 PM
We all know what we're in for if we stay in. So I'm gonna vote 'out' just coz it'll be fun to see what happens. Internal policy is going to have a far greater impact on my day-to-day life. Let's hold our noses and jump - what's the worst that could happen?
We end up doing exactly what Europe tells us to without any input whatsoever.

Siz

The loss of the most favourable trade conditions is a small price to pay for the benefits of autonomy.

To be fair, I look forward to the hustings and if the 'stay' campaign is able to woo me then so be it. I think both campaigns will be won or lost on their spinning of economic predictions. The fact is, no-one can predict the economic outcomes with any certainty either way (or at least no-one can convince me that their predictions are more valid than the other) so I shall try to remain imune to related scaremongering. And as I mentioned earlier, internal policy will have a much bigger impact on my daily life than any European policy. Whether Great Britain PLC goes to shit or thrives it will be as a result of internal governance in any case.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

I think Dag will have an interesting insight into this as he has lived in a nabouring  country all his life.

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on February 21, 2016, 08:15:07 AM
I think Dag will have an interesting insight into this as he has lived in a nabouring  country all his life.
And in one of very few European nations that are not full members of the EU.
This puts us in a peculiar position that I would warn Brits to consider. Since Norway is not a full member of the EU we do not have a vote in the EU parliament. But in order to trade with European countries we still have to follow EU directives and standards. Which we had very little say in the forming of. The effect is that we are member in all but name and vote.
Personally I'd rather we had a vote if we could get a good deal (one that protects our fish and oil).

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tom62

^Yes that is true.Your fish needs a lot of protection, especially against those hungry Norwegians ;D
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

The UK and Canada should join the USA.  Then we can kick everyone's ass.  It would be like mom reuniting with a prodigal son and a slightly more civil son.  The world would tremble. 

Firebird

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 21, 2016, 11:43:35 PM
The UK and Canada should join the USA.  Then we can kick everyone's ass.  It would be like mom reuniting with a prodigal son and a slightly more civil son.  The world would tremble.

Only if Australia joins us too. The beaches on Gold Coast are nice
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on February 22, 2016, 03:41:57 AM

I have to say that would be fun :)

Bad Penny

Quote from: Tank on February 22, 2016, 06:39:35 AM
Quote from: Firebird on February 22, 2016, 03:41:57 AM

I have to say that would be fun :)

Not from my perspective and Gold Coast beaches are already too touristy.

Crow

If the markets are anything to go by then it will mean trouble. Even though the markets recovered after the initial reaction due to businesses trying to calm the markets on the announcement of the referendum the signs are bad especially if you work in the housing market as they failed to recover.
Retired member.