News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Deeper into the Trump Abyss.

Started by Dave, January 30, 2017, 07:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

I'm considering moving to another country. These fascist politics that only serve to help one person (Donald Fuck) will send the country into a tail spin to which China and Russia will jump on. China will be the new leading economy and Russia will be the military super power.

Of course that comes at the price of the world economy being thrown into the abyss as well where the only thing that will fix it is hard left communism.

Sent from my A3-A20 using Tapatalk

Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Ha! It seems Trump has a good amount of opposition to the travel ban. So much that a supreme court judge stopped it temporarily and visas are being reinstated!
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Listening to BBC news Trump says he is going to, "Talk tough" to world leaders.

I am inclined to interpret "tough" as "aggressive" in Trump's lexicon. Chances sre that he might still be the "most powerful man on Earth"  but only have influence over those that he can intimidate with that power.

Definition of a bully?

But he will never be able to bully that other bully, Putin.

Y'know, prayer seems more attractive every day . . .

Tom62

Quote from: Apathy on February 03, 2017, 07:27:32 PM
I'm considering moving to another country. These fascist politics that only serve to help one person (Donald Fuck) will send the country into a tail spin to which China and Russia will jump on. China will be the new leading economy and Russia will be the military super power.

Of course that comes at the price of the world economy being thrown into the abyss as well where the only thing that will fix it is hard left communism.

The USA is the largest economy. However most of their goods are manufactured abroad, which is one of the reasons that people voted for Trump. In case of a trade war with China, the Americans will be the losers, because they much more dependent on the Chinese than the other way around. It is not easy to move production back to the USA and even if it can be done, the production costs will most likely be much higher than in China. I don't think that even Trump is that stupid to risk a trade war with China. Most likely Trump will scream a lot; China will make some concessions and everybody will be happy till the next elections.

Russia is modernizing their military, but they have much less money than the USA to do so. They are ranked" on the 4th place of military budget spending in the world. The USA spend approx. 9 times more on the military than Russia. With Trump in power, the budget will most likely even increase. The likelihood that Russia will become the next military super power is very slim.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Arturo

Quote from: Tom62 on February 04, 2017, 10:22:09 AM
Quote from: Apathy on February 03, 2017, 07:27:32 PM

The USA is the largest economy. However most of their goods are manufactured abroad, which is one of the reasons that people voted for Trump. In case of a trade war with China, the Americans will be the losers, because they much more dependent on the Chinese than the other way around. It is not easy to move production back to the USA and even if it can be done, the production costs will most likely be much higher than in China. I don't think that even Trump is that stupid to risk a trade war with China. Most likely Trump will scream a lot; China will make some concessions and everybody will be happy till the next elections.

Russia is modernizing their military, but they have much less money than the USA to do so. They are ranked" on the 4th place of military budget spending in the world. The USA spend approx. 9 times more on the military than Russia. With Trump in power, the budget will most likely even increase. The likelihood that Russia will become the next military super power is very slim.

Alright, well thanks for easing my worries.

Only thing I'm concerned is that Trump backed out of the Trans Pacific Partnership deal which people have been saying would have forced China to play by our rules instead of them setting their own. Most of our GDP is based on goods and services. I think somewhere around 85%. And almost all of that is consumed by residents. So even if he did enter a trade war, it would put anywhere from a dent in our economy, to completely destroying it.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Another hint of things to come?

Trmp described the judge who initially banned hs ban on immigrants - he desctibed him as a "so called  judge".

Not sure but in the UK that might have made Trump liable to a contempt of court charge. OK, he did this in a tweet but that does not excuse him, he is no longer a private person, every action he carries out is a matter of public interest, an indicator of his attitude to his own authority and that of others.

Nothing easy to pin down (without more research than I want to do) but odd phrases of his seem to indicate that he feels thatthe president's authority, in some areas, should be beyond question or challenge. This is, unfortunately, true with regards to certain things - like the decision to go to war and the use of nukes. But I get the feeling that Trump would like to spread that ultimate authority further down the hierachical ladder of the law. Put himself above the judiciary. Bad enough that he gets to pick the top judges.

I doubt, with America's history of local independence, it will reach full totalitarianism, not quite full fascism or 1984ism without a lot of fight back. But the damage that could be done to America as a nation, in the worst case scenario, is frightening I feel.

Ecurb Noselrub

We survived the Civil War, and we survived the 60's.  We'll survive this, but it's going to be a bumpy ride. Mr. Trump is just being introduced to the Constitutional concept of "Separation of Powers".  The Supreme Court (and by extension, the federal courts under it), Congress and Executive Branch are co-equal branches of government - we have no absolute monarch.  The courts are not going to pick a fight with him by holding in contempt, but neither are they going to submit to his authoritarian rule.  So he is going to have to learn his limitations.

Icarus

QuoteSo he is going to have to learn his limitations.

Let us hope that he is capable of getting over the Emperor or Ayatollah complex that he has exhibited rather frequently.

Davin

The sad thing is, even if they do get manufacturing back into America, it won't matter when we still have this income disparity. Either they will have to pay workers less to reduce the price of the products, which will mean that no one can afford to buy them, or the price of the products will be too high for Americans to afford. If they really wanted to bring jobs back to America, then they need to restore the buying power of the middle and lower classes, then there would be so much money going around, and the economy so much safer to allow all sorts of failed enterprises, that people would just be able to make things. Any economist (even the shitty ones), know that the more money flows, the healthier an economy is, but right now, most money has stagnated at the top. And that used to be the biggest problem. Now we have a president, a congress, a house, and soon to be a Supreme Court that will be hell bent on destroying America by turning it into the Fourth Reich.

Trump may be the next Hitler, in that he will be the latest best example of the worst kind of person. Though I hope that it doesn't get that far.

I mean, maybe I'm overreacting, but the signs are not good.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

The USA is the largest economy. However most of their goods are manufactured abroad [. . . ]

Not according to this...

Though, in two years lots can change!

Dave

QuoteTrump would get blocked from speaking in Commons for his 'racism and sexism', says Speaker

QuoteHowever, as far as this place [the House of Commons] is concerned, I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons.

Heard the Speaker of the House of Commons on the radio. Pretty blunt little speech!

Davin

Someone linked me this and I found it... representative of my feelings.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Icarus

^ Whoooooeeeee!!! That vid is a scathing assessment of our new self styled, ill conceived, serial liar, con man, narcissist,  Emperor.

Someone please explain to me. The people who voted the Donald into power are not all meatheads. What the hell were they thinking?