News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

arab-israeli conflict

Started by Asmodean Prime, July 26, 2006, 01:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean Prime

I'm talking about, for example, paedophilia (natural desire???), or maybe the urge to take something that is not yours, such as your neighbours wife, or possessions.  If we are just mammals, then why shouldn't we behave just like mammals, say, for example, hyenas, who take the 'prey' from other, weaker members of the animal kingdom?

Court

Is there any evidence that pedophilia is genetic? I thought that it was almost all environment-based, which would require you to come up with a different example.
As for stealing, that's where the selfish morality comes in. You don't want other people to steal your stuff or wife, so you don't do it to them. In fact, you all get together and create a tribe of some sort and a social contract (like a government) that agrees that no one will steal.
Not all mammals are equal. Hyenas don't have as developed a sense of reason and logic. However, do they steal from animals in their tribe? Probably not. I'll bet they steal from other packs, which humans do all the time, because different tribes are not going to be under the same social contract. Therefore, stealing from them will not be seen as "immoral."
This is less evident today because of the widened communication on this planet. The media and internet have created a sort of "global community," making it less acceptable to most people (especially those from developed countries) to "steal" from other countries or civilizations.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Whitney

Quote from: "onlyme"I'm talking about, for example, paedophilia (natural desire???), or maybe the urge to take something that is not yours, such as your neighbours wife, or possessions.  If we are just mammals, then why shouldn't we behave just like mammals, say, for example, hyenas, who take the 'prey' from other, weaker members of the animal kingdom?

pedophilia is arguably a developmental problem and not a natural desire (ie, no one is born a pedophile)

humans, as a whole, generally care about the welfare of others.  It would be easier to argue that it is natural to not want to take from others, than it would be to argue that we are all inherently thieves.  Humans have empathy, hyenas don't.  I would say that stealing is a societal issue...not something that humans instinctively desire.  I know this isn't an in depth explaination...but I think it would require a thesis on human nature and society in order to explain it fully.

Asmodean Prime

How on earth did this subject find it's way into the arab-israeli conflict forum?

maybe it has a teensy-weensy bit to do with me.  I'm sure sometimes I lack self-control and just launch off by replying to a point in a post and end up taking it somewhere completely different.

I'm a complicated person, aren't I?

Court

Are you merely reflecting or ignoring the points Laetus and I just made?
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

iplaw

QuoteIt would be easier to argue that it is natural to not want to take from others, than it would be to argue that we are all inherently thieves.
Are we inherently inclined to not take from others or are we taught not to?  If we were inherently "wired" not to steal then why is it most children have to be taught not to steal; not to take that toy away from the other child?

I think the idea of stealing has been abstracted to only encompass the obvious crimes.  Of course I inherently don't rob people or steal things from their homes, those are the biggies that are easy not to do.  But I do cut corners every once in a while, and act selfishly, which are just euphimisms for thievery.