News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Saying Hello

Started by TeresaBenedicta, May 04, 2011, 04:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 04, 2011, 08:40:35 PM
Just as it is impossible for a male to conceive and bring to term a child, so is it impossible for a female to be ordained into the ministerial priesthood.
It's physically impossible for a female to be ordained into ministerial priesthood.

Not simply an outdated sexist rule?

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Stevil on May 04, 2011, 08:51:39 PM
It's physically impossible for a female to be ordained into ministerial priesthood.

Not simply an outdated sexist rule?

If there weren't solid theological reasons for it, I'd definitely agree.  I won't go into the theology behind it all (I'm sure y'all will thank me for not boring you to death... I can get long-winded, since I studied philosophy and theology formally).  But even from a practical point of view... if the male-only priesthood were merely cultural during the founding of the Church and the centuries thereafter, then the Church would have had no reason to develop theological reasons for a male-only priesthood.  Discrimination based-off of sex was natural and expected at the time.  Certainly in no need of a proper defense, like it is today. 
All men by nature desire to know. -Aristotle

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

Whitney

Once you get past 50 posts don't be surprised if I start a thread about why it makes no sense that having a vagina would disqualify someone from being a church leader.  :D

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Whitney on May 04, 2011, 09:01:07 PM
Once you get past 50 posts don't be surprised if I start a thread about why it makes no sense that having a vagina would disqualify someone from being a church leader.  :D

Haha, no worries.  ;)

These sorts of discussions are interesting to me- I wonder, though, how helpful they'll be, considering that we're discussing from the standpoint of two different traditions (and by that I mean, wholly different philosophical traditions).  But that's just the philosopher in me.  :)

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

McQ

Welcome to the forum, Theresa! Thanks for the introduction.

I will remind forum members that the introductions are not the appropriate place for in depth discussion of topics. Neither are they for you to be sarcastic or nasty in your "Welcome" messages to new members. When I figure out how to split topics, I will split this off at the right spot.
As always, please keep it civil.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Stevil

Quote from: McQ on May 04, 2011, 10:29:11 PM
I will remind forum members that the introductions are not the appropriate place for in depth discussion of topics. Neither are they for you to be sarcastic or nasty in your "Welcome" messages to new members.

OK, point taken. I have delved into sarcasm a little, but TeresaBenedicta has been very civil in her responses, and I thought the conversation was going reasonably well.
I am keen to get into the detail but have refrained due to the 50 posts constraint. I am so keen to get her to 50 that I want to encourage her to post many responses.

BTW, TeresaBenedicta, how old are you? What country do you live in?

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Stevil on May 04, 2011, 10:49:17 PM
BTW, TeresaBenedicta, how old are you? What country do you live in?

I'm 22 years old, living in the USA.  I converted to Catholicism at the age of 18- before that I was an atheist.

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: McQ on May 04, 2011, 10:29:11 PM
Welcome to the forum, Theresa! Thanks for the introduction.

I will remind forum members that the introductions are not the appropriate place for in depth discussion of topics. Neither are they for you to be sarcastic or nasty in your "Welcome" messages to new members. When I figure out how to split topics, I will split this off at the right spot.

Thanks, McQ.  Sorry for getting off into too much discussion!

Stevil

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 04, 2011, 11:04:58 PM
I'm 22 years old, living in the USA.  I converted to Catholicism at the age of 18- before that I was an atheist.
From the few posts you have made here I feel you seem to have a high EQ for a 22 year old.
I myself am much more immature and less tactful at the ripe age of 37.
My country of origin and residence in New Zealand. Been to Europe a couple of times but never to the American continent.

Do you like to travel? Have you been anywhere interesting?

An eye opener for me was my visit to Vanuatu, it was my second honeymoon, actually anniversary of our first year of marriage.
Vanuatu is quite a third world type of country. I would love it if everyone could experience the third world at least once in their lifetime.

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Stevil on May 05, 2011, 12:04:16 AM
From the few posts you have made here I feel you seem to have a high EQ for a 22 year old.
I myself am much more immature and less tactful at the ripe age of 37.
My country of origin and residence in New Zealand. Been to Europe a couple of times but never to the American continent.

Do you like to travel? Have you been anywhere interesting?

An eye opener for me was my visit to Vanuatu, it was my second honeymoon, actually anniversary of our first year of marriage.
Vanuatu is quite a third world type of country. I would love it if everyone could experience the third world at least once in their lifetime.

Ah- I'm jealous of your travels! 

Unfortunately I've not managed to make a dent in my traveling dreams.  I've been around the States quite a bit, which has been neat. 

Where is your favorite place you've visited so far?

Stevil

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 05, 2011, 12:46:26 AM

Ah- I'm jealous of your travels! 

Unfortunately I've not managed to make a dent in my traveling dreams.  I've been around the States quite a bit, which has been neat. 

Where is your favorite place you've visited so far?
I seem to have a strange fascination for water fountains and water in general. One of my favourite places with regards to man made is the Trevi Fountain in Rome. It is so, beautiful. I had to visit it both during the daytime and during the night time on both my visits to Rome.
The ruins in Rome were also quite special, given their 2,000 year history.

Another man made area of my liking was in Paris a road called Champs Elysis. At the opposite end of the Arch de Triump, there is a bridge and a couple of historic buildings, lots of statues, trees and you can see the Eiffle tower. I found myself in a physical state of euphoria, it was all so magnificent and beautiful.

With regards to nature, My favourite places are Switzerland, especially Interlaken, unfortunately it was cloudy the whole week that I was there so could see much of the mountains and couldn't see any view from the top of Mt Shilthorn.
I also like the South Island in NZ (particulary Queenstown) and Bilbao in Spain was nice. And Phuket in Thailand was also a highlight (I have many fantastic postcard worthy photos of that trip)

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Stevil on May 05, 2011, 02:25:57 AM
I seem to have a strange fascination for water fountains and water in general. One of my favourite places with regards to man made is the Trevi Fountain in Rome. It is so, beautiful. I had to visit it both during the daytime and during the night time on both my visits to Rome.
The ruins in Rome were also quite special, given their 2,000 year history.

Another man made area of my liking was in Paris a road called Champs Elysis. At the opposite end of the Arch de Triump, there is a bridge and a couple of historic buildings, lots of statues, trees and you can see the Eiffle tower. I found myself in a physical state of euphoria, it was all so magnificent and beautiful.

With regards to nature, My favourite places are Switzerland, especially Interlaken, unfortunately it was cloudy the whole week that I was there so could see much of the mountains and couldn't see any view from the top of Mt Shilthorn.
I also like the South Island in NZ (particulary Queenstown) and Bilbao in Spain was nice. And Phuket in Thailand was also a highlight (I have many fantastic postcard worthy photos of that trip)

So many wonderful places!  I'd love to see them all. 

My biggest dream is to travel to Europe via ship.  I love, love, love the ocean!

Do you speak any foreign languages?

Stevil

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 05, 2011, 05:11:00 AM
My biggest dream is to travel to Europe via ship.  I love, love, love the ocean!

Do you speak any foreign languages?
A cruise around the Mediteranian is on my todo list. But probably not until the kids are 20 or so, which means I will be about 57-60 which feels too old to do the rigourous exploring that I would like to do.
When our kids are of a decent age we will take them to Asia, China and Malaysia so they can learn a bit out half of their genetic identity. I feel it is very important.

My Wife speaks Mandarin, Cantonese, English, Malay.  I unfortunately only know English with a very little Mandarin. I can say Hello is lots of languages though and even count to ten in quite a few. Would have loved to learn another language, unfortunately time is the most precious resource in life and oppourtunity for language exposure in NZ is very limited.

How about you, any languages?

xSilverPhinx

Welcome TeresaBenedicta!

Like Stevil said, you seem to be very mature for a 22 year old, though I cringe at the thought of someone your age making a life altering decision such as consecrating yourself as a religious sister. I disagree with Stevil on the authentically human existence, it's just a very different type of life, though thinking as an atheist, not as good as it could be.

And yes, it really is quite the leap from atheism, what caused you to convert? What was it like?

Quote from: Stevil on May 05, 2011, 02:25:57 AM

And Phuket in Thailand was also a highlight (I have many fantastic postcard worthy photos of that trip)

I almost went to Phuket about 14 years ago (just before a tsunami hit, if I recall correctly) but went to Mauritius instead. Highly recommended place to visit, especially if you like beaches with warm water clear enough to go snorkeling. They still have some coral reefs.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 05, 2011, 08:46:59 AM
I disagree with Stevil on the authentically human existence

the essence of what I was saying was that I thought it was dehumanising to deny yourself the ability to love another human, by this, I don't mean sex. I mean the extremely close bond of a husband and wife. We are social creatures and it is only natural to want love and close companionship. I don't know what the benefit would be of making a pledge against such a relationship. What if a wonderful person comes along that you enjoy their company? Surly Christianity can see the value in love.
Anyway, we can't delve into more detail until 50 posts.
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 05, 2011, 08:46:59 AM
I almost went to Phuket about 14 years ago (just before a tsunami hit, if I recall correctly) but went to Mauritius instead. Highly recommended place to visit, especially if you like beaches with warm water clear enough to go snorkeling. They still have some coral reefs.
I have only been snorkling twice, the first time was at Hideaway island in Vanuatu, it was amasing, I forgot I was in water and thought i was flying over an amazing terrain.