News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Music that moves you

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 16, 2018, 11:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Why Do We Love Music?

QuoteEditor's Note: While the human brain is hardwired to feel pleasure for basic survival necessities, such as eating and sex, music—although obviously pleasurable—doesn't offer the same evolutionary advantages. So why do we respond to patterns of sounds that disappear in an instant? Why do we belt music from the top of our lungs, learn to play instruments, and empty our back accounts to see Bruce Springsteen on Broadway? Our author offers some valuable insights.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 26, 2019, 11:52:53 AM
Why Do We Love Music?

QuoteEditor's Note: While the human brain is hardwired to feel pleasure for basic survival necessities, such as eating and sex, music—although obviously pleasurable—doesn't offer the same evolutionary advantages. So why do we respond to patterns of sounds that disappear in an instant? Why do we belt music from the top of our lungs, learn to play instruments, and empty our back accounts to see Bruce Springsteen on Broadway? Our author offers some valuable insights.

Thanks for an interesting-looking link. I have printed it as a PDF to read at my leisure.

The whole question of taste is fascinating. Will we ever understand why I love black and don't like green very much, while someone else may have exactly the opposite preference?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 26, 2019, 01:39:32 PM
The whole question of taste is fascinating. Will we ever understand why I love black and don't like green very much, while someone else may have exactly the opposite preference?

Who cares about the likes of you and your opposite, I know I don't.
Dark green and black is classy.

Green text=Trollish post
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 26, 2019, 01:50:22 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on January 26, 2019, 01:39:32 PM

Who cares about the likes of you and your opposite, I know I don't.
Dark green and black is classy.

Green text=Trollish post

I care. :popcorn:

...because I like both black and green. :grin:

Icarus

I admire talented kids who can deliver the goods like this one.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnlzjnGsI2c

hermes2015

A poem by Pablo Neruda sung by George Dalaras to music by Mikis Theodorakis.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Try to keep from patting your foot...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4rgdf45H50

The kids begin to get it on at about a minute twenty. 

Bluenose

From Dvořák Symphony No 9 "New World": Going home, going home

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

I presume that BYU is Brigham Young University, mostly Morman.  Say what you will but the Mormans produce exceptional music.

Icarus

Somehow this seems appropriate to help assuage some of my grief at having had to say goodbye to my brave  little dog on this day. 

Please forgive me for my emotional weakness......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i1mI-P9Z3s

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on March 15, 2019, 12:11:08 AM
Somehow this seems appropriate to help assuage some of my grief at having had to say goodbye to my brave  little dog on this day. 

Please forgive me for my emotional weakness......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i1mI-P9Z3s

:hug2:

Bluenose

This came up on my system when I was driving my car the other day.  I love this song...

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

I love Roger Waters. As a Stravinsky lover as well, I was in heaven when his Soldier's Tale narrated by Waters was released. The recording is absolutely brilliant and I use parts of it to show off my sound system at home.

― Charles Eames

Bluenose

I love Stravinsky too!  Especially The Firebird

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Excellent! I've seen all the Stravinsky ballets a few times over the years.
― Charles Eames